Author Topic: An afternoon out with the dogs  (Read 1612 times)

Offline 04man

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
An afternoon out with the dogs
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »

No story as fine as Outdoorenvy. Just an afternoon out with the dogs.

I am failing....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:49:37 PM by 04man »

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
Re: An afternoon out with the dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »
I'd like to apogize.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/photonov03173233.jpg

I think I've got the correct picture this time. So frustrating.

I don't have a great story. Just an afternoon out with my dogs. It only took 3 or 4 hours for one of them to figure out why we were out in a strange field. Not the one we run in. You'd think they would catch on because I didn't have shorts and running shoes on. I wait all year for the fall to hunt quail. I wish the birds and dogs would cooperate a little more!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:06:43 PM by 04man »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »
04man, I think this will help. :)

You got the link to work, which is 99% of what you need to do. But instead of using this button: 

You need to use this button:

to create your image tags. The other button will create a link. So you really do have it figured out, you just need to do everything exactly the same, but click the other button instead. Hope this helps.

Congrats on a successful hunt! Looks like your dogs are loving it!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »
Nice picture man.  What's that saying about a picture is worth "how many" words?  haha.  That's a nice day out for sure.  Quail are great eating so that's a winner of a day in my book. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Half Axe

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Are those dogs weimaraners?  Looks like a good time was had by all (except the birds, of course  :)).

The more you get those pups out in the field, the quicker they'll get it figured out and get on those birds for you, I'm betting.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
No work today.
So I went hunting! Or maybe we can call it a hike looking for quail. No birds today. Maybe it was just too hot and they were all 'chillin some where.

Yep, my plan is to drag the dogs along until they figure it out. Kidding aside, my oldest dog isn't too bad at what I need him to do. They don't really bust their butt coursing the field but Ziggy will let me know there are birds present or were there shortly. He's been my champion at retrieving by coming back with a face and shoulders full of cacti without a care. I've seen him pull his front legs back and worm under a thick bush after birds. If only the other two were as dedicated! It's a lot to ask of a dog with so much down time between seasons.

I was wondering if extremely dry air makes it harder on adogs nose to pick up scent?

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »
Yes Half Axe,those are Weim's. Not that I planned to have Weim's or three of them, it just happened that way. My oldest, I'm his third owner. Seems folks buy these pups because they are cute as hell with blue eyes but aren't ready to satisfy their need to work. And I'm the second owner of the youngest. I thought I'd council these people on how to have a happy pup and when I got there I realized the original owners had no business owning a dog and I took him home. Hope those folks kids turn out okay. And I'm really lucky to have such a great wife.........it only took her awhile to come around.

My first dog was a Queensland Heeler. Smartest dog in the world. They're a smart dog but mine was the smartest.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
04man, you were wondering about dry conditions and the ability of your pups to scent the birds.  Yeah, your suspicions are confirmed.....that's the hardest time for them.   Early morning seems to be the best time under those conditions.....cool er, less breeze and sometimes a little more humidity in the air at that time, too.   The birds have most likely been in one place for a longer time, allowing their scent to 'pool' around them a little more.  Gives the pups a little better chance of gettin' a 'snootfull' of bird 8)

Nice lookin' pups :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »
Thanks Wolfy!

I am continuously amazed by all dogs and believe humans need some better understanding. I just watched those guys(dogs) look confused. Like they're trying to tell me that they were so sure about quail being there until the last instant and then they didn't know.

Thanks for the info!