Author Topic: A chance weekend away  (Read 5365 times)

Offline 04man

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
A chance weekend away
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
My wife and kid were heading to Indiana for a long weekend and thought that a camping trip was doable. If I didn't have to work ...       Me and the dogs with an open schedule if work allows.

No work. We hit the road.

I had been dreaming about going for weeks and even talked my work partner into going. At a week out I started to check the weather and noticed fine sunny days with cool nights were starting to give way to cooler days and cold nights. Not a problem.

I'm starting to think my work partner chickened out 'cause the weather was suppose to sour.

A little off the side of the road shot.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
Re: A chance weekend away
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »
If there is heaven on earth it's a place I know fairly well up Hwy.395 . A girlfriends parents lived up there and I had no problem driving her up there so we could visit. The weekends were full of fishing and beer. Being in my early twenty's the area was full of exploration and adventure.....and beer. Now a days the girlfriend is my wife and we have a son and the inlaws moved south to be closer to us and a hospital.

I visit as often as I can in my little trailer. Use to sleep on the ground under the stars maybe next to a fire but my body started to complain. Besides, the trailer is kinda handy.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:38:06 PM by 04man »

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
I had big plans for my weekend alone with the dogs. A little prospecting, fish some favorite spots while visiting with some 'ol ghosts, and get the dogs on some quail.

The weather was a little cold in the evening and it made working a gold pan in the water a little tough but there's always fishing! Well, I didn't catch a thing and I even resorted to a spinning rod with bait. The breeze just played havoc with my 2 weight rod and line. I thought it was just me but another guy had the same bad luck. So busy that I failed to take pictures......

The quail had to be better! With a view like this how could it be bad?

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics and your trip. Glad to hear you could get out.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
Thanks for the pictures....I NEED a road trip :'(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »

Funny how some things must change and other things are the same year after year. I've been passing through this man-gate-opening for twenty five years and it nor the view behind it has changed a bit. Matter of fact I tore my shirt passing through it just like I did years ago with my favorite shirt from Christmas.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »
'fraid that's about all I got was some pictures and exercise. But that's okay.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
Out past the gate is a stream that the cattle drink from. It was interesting to watch the dogs experience cattle for the first time. I think they were a bit intimidated by the size and one(dog) had no problem being with me around cows but the other would have no part of it.
.......and not a picture.

Out past is a large meadow that takes quite some time to hunt thoroughly.

After a day fishing I'd drop my father in law off at the house and hunt up some birds for a pre meal snack. There are birds near the fence and creek but everybody goes after them so I'd run all the way around to the back side.

This is still only half way across. Looks like the cow couldn't quite make it the last time.

There's the other side. I discovered it burned a year or two back and still hasn't recovered. I was hoping it was green again with birds ready to burst into the air.

A little more...

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
My favorite picture for last.

Missing are the pictures of the dogs afield and my one bird. One night I woke up to mouths crunching on food and realized the two dogs I was sleeping with weren't moving. Something's were eating my dogs food that I left outside. Damn! I got the courage to look outside and found a family of raccoons gorging themselves. No pics.

So there it is. Not much to show but I had a great time.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »
Beautiful country.  Thanks for sharing it.

I really like that little trailer of yours.  I looked at one about 20 years ago but didn't pull the trigger.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »
Wilder beast, probably a good thing you didn't get a trailer like this one. I'm not impressed with it at all. Sure, it opens and sets up faster than a tent and the same to leave. On cold nights the sleeping, for me, is better than the ground. Even a little stove. The fridge along with most the trim is falling off. Seems the vibration from the road is tearing this thing apart. It's only had 7 trips in its life. I have a hard time putting money into it other than a set of tires. Good thing it was free or I'd be really upset.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
Pretty country.  Those mountains reaching into the clouds are great pics.   I can see why you go back to that area.  Better luck next time on the fishing.  Fresh fish at camp is a great meal.  Thanks for the share
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »
Up above in those mountains a silent movie star built a stone cabin for his get away. Awesome place. The forest service uses it now as a base camp to work out of checking on backpackers. It's 1/2 walk from there to First Lake. It's a 5 mile walk with a 2,000 foot elevation climb. First Lake is just over 10,000 ft. Google Earth the area it's just superb.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
Do a search for Lon Chaney's Cabin, Big Pine.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
Wow..   very pretty country!   Those pictures showing snow on the Mts are really awsome to look at.   I like that lil trailer... that would be perfect for me.  :)     

What about rattlers?  Are there alot of them there?   Werent you afraid your dogs would get bit?   That would be my biggest fear....   :-\

And... no cooking outdoors picture?   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »
Woodswoman, the weather was changing constantly, a little colder at every update and the wind would pick up and blow coals across the ground. No cooking outdoors for fear of starting a brush fire.

The snakes are there but would rather just be left alone. At the house my four dogs have run o er the top of two rattlers multiple times without a problem. They just want to be left alone.

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
Awesome pics man. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
Great landscapes! That does look like a fun trip. I like the A frame popup as well. Almost bought one but ended up with a tent trailer instead.

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
Great landscapes! That does look like a fun trip. I like the A frame popup as well. Almost bought one but ended up with a tent trailer instead.

Ever use it in winter?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
Not yet. It has a propane heater but I dont think it would be enough. The coldest we used it was 50 deg. F and it was comfortable. Of course, theres always heavy sleeping bags...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »
Always wondered how they'd hold up in winter. 

Think the A frame would be the way to go here in MT!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
Looks like a great outing and some very nice scenery. Thanks for sharing!!!