Author Topic: Woobies  (Read 6382 times)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Woobies
« on: November 16, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
  I just received a new Woobie (poncho liner) from Wilderbeast today,  i'm planning to use it in my day pack to use as a general purpose blanket/sitting mat/cold weather wrap/ or used with my reuseable survival blanket as an emergency blanket.
  The selling point for me is that it's really light, warm, tough, and rolls down to a very compact size, yet it's a lot bigger opened up than the fleece throw that I was using,  plus it won't be picking up debris off the ground like the small blanket did.
  All in all it a pretty inexpensive and space saving piece of useful kit,  and I'd recomend it to anyone thinking along the same lines.
  As usual, the price and service from Wilderbeast was the best. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:25:27 PM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
Re: Woobies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »
+1
You can't go wrong!
 :thumbsup:
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »
Love my woobie. It was all I needed on our last trip while sleeping in my hammock.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
Can't go wrong with a woobie. I have a couple and might get another one for a X-mas gift.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »
I miss my woobie.  I don't miss most of all that went with the woobie though.  I want to find a hand full to put in my pack and in all the vehicle packs.
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:43:39 AM »
I miss my woobie.  I don't miss most of all that went with the woobie though.  I want to find a hand full to put in my pack and in all the vehicle packs.

Are you talking about your time in service that you don't miss ?

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »
Yes, I am referring to all the BS that goes with service.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »

Got cha,  it's not for everybody,  I've got friends that continue to re-up,  and others who can't wait to get out.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
I've bought two woobies from Wilderbeast - both are top notch! I use one as daily user and the other is in my kit.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »

Got cha,  it's not for everybody,  I've got friends that continue to re-up,  and others who can't wait to get out.

Don't get me wrong, not saying you are, but I would do it all again if need be.  I met some amazing people that are still friends today and got to see some amazing things and places around the world.  You can't beat that with a stick.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »

Don't get me wrong, not saying you are, but I would do it all again if need be.  I met some amazing people that are still friends today and got to see some amazing things and places around the world.  You can't beat that with a stick.

It's ok,  I wasn't sure what you meant,  I thought you were talking about not caring for the other gear that went along with the Woobie,  I just asked so that i'd be on the same page as you are,  confusion drives me nuts.   :)

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »
Good piece of kit for sure. I just got 2 from Wilderbeast and gave 1 to the GF, she loves it, sleeps with it now.
Been using mine for a couple years now. With a sheet its all I need in my hammock down into the 40*s. I use a thin sleeping mat for a pad and put the other stuff on top
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »
"Woobie" is a great name for a poncho liner. I'm sure I had a "bingkie"(blanket) when I was a little guy. That comforting feeling snuggled around your body and the feeling on your face. Even the smell...
My poncho liner took its place. I don't care what was going on around me, if I could get a chance to rest with my liner, to feel secure enough to pull it out, my world could be good for just a little while.

Makes me want one but I don't think it would match the wife's decor nor would she understand.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
"Woobie" is a great name for a poncho liner. I'm sure I had a "bingkie"(blanket) when I was a little guy. That comforting feeling snuggled around your body and the feeling on your face. Even the smell...
My poncho liner took its place. I don't care what was going on around me, if I could get a chance to rest with my liner, to feel secure enough to pull it out, my world could be good for just a little while.

Makes me want one but I don't think it would match the wife's decor nor would she understand.

I don't usually post my opinions in these types of discussions,  but I'll make an exception in the spirit of friendly advice based of experience,  my wife and i just celebrated out 40th. year together,  we've had what I consider to be a wonderful relationship,  part of why it has been so is because we have an understanding that neither of us imposes their will on the other,  in other words,  we don't sweat the small stuff.
 Personally I would lovingly explain to her what a woobie is,  why I want one, and that I have ordered one, and that if it should clash with her chosen decor when it arrives,  that she will understand that it's not worth damaging our relationship to argue over it.
 If she were still against my getting one and gave me a hard time over it,  I would politely offer to help her pack for her move.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

I don't usually post my opinions in these types of discussions,  but I'll make an exception in the spirit of friendly advice based of experience,  my wife and i just celebrated out 40th. year together,  we've had what I consider to be a wonderful relationship,  part of why it has been so is because we have an understanding that neither of us imposes their will on the other,  in other words,  we don't sweat the small stuff.
 Personally I would lovingly explain to her what a woobie is,  why I want one, and that I have ordered one, and that if it should clash with her chosen decor when it arrives,  that she will understand that it's not worth damaging our relationship to argue over it.
 If she were still against my getting one and gave me a hard time over it,  I would politely offer to help her pack for her move.

+1  :)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »
Maybe the ACU 'flage woobie.  ??? ???Hmmmmmm ???

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »

OK,  my turn,  What's an ACU 'flage woobie ???

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 06:31:43 AM »

ACU camoflage

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »

ACU camoflage

Thanks Mike,  sometimes being older imparts wisdom and knowledge,  other times not so much.   :)

Offline TACSAR

• Whetstone +
  • Staying sharp
    • Thornton Images
Woobies
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Great piece of gear for the snivel kit!  I have one in the car, truck and my two boys have them as blankets on their beds.

I've also got a couple of the OD green Canadian ones and they are a bit thicker and really warm.

Just all around great kit.

Offline Frose

• Mill File+
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
Yep, I have mine from Kifaru.

Love it to death, don't go to the mountains without it.

When I first got her I was living up in the mountains outside of Denver. I wanted to see if she was really as warm as advertised.

On a night that got down to 40 degrees, I slept with all the windows open in my room and nothing on the bed but my woobie. I was way too hot and ended up having to switch back to a regular setup.

Offline 04man

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:12 PM »
Wow, hadn't heard the phrase "snivel kit" in a long time!