Author Topic: WOLFY'S DEER SUMMER SAUSAGE  (Read 17609 times)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
WOLFY'S DEER SUMMER SAUSAGE
« on: November 27, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »
This is an easy recipe for WOLFY'S DEER SUMMER SAUSAGE that I have 'diddled' with for years, but I think I'm finished messing with it now.  I just pulled it out of our recipe file to make up a batch with some burger from this year's buck.  Hope all you deer hunters give it a shot and let me know what you think.  We've received accolades from people that have had it and I've given the recipe out on other forums where it has been quite popular, too.  So, if you've got lots of deer burger to deal with, this is a great way to use some of it, but it works fine with beef burger, too.

3# deer burger
2 T liquid smoke
4-5 cloves crushed garlic....or MORE
1 T whole mustard seed
3 T Morton Tender Quick
1 Cup water
1/4 t course-ground fresh black pepper
1/2 t onion powder
2 T brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes

METHOD:
Mix all the ingredients together and pour over meat while mixing.......I use the dough hook on our KitchenAid stand mixer.  Form into two logs about 2-3" in diameter & 12" long.  Seal in foil & refrigerate for 24 hours. Punch holes in bottom of foil with a fork.  Place on broiler pan or cake rack on a sheet pan, so fat can drip out during baking.  Bake 1 1/4 hours @ 325 degrees.  Unwrap & cool.  Wrap with plastic wrap & store in refrigerator or freeze.

I mix up 6# at a time, because 3# just doesn't last long enough around here  :stir:

This is kind of a 'basic' recipe that we have arrived at to suit different family members' taste 'prejudices', so feel free to experiment by adding different commonly added sausage ingredients that you may crave.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:14:24 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
WOLFY'S DEER SUMMER SAUSAGE
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
That sounds like a winner Wolfy ;)
I've made plenty of sausage before, but never any summer sausage.
I think I need to give it a shot this year, though...
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
Re: WOLFY'S DEER SUMMER SAUSAGE
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:25:44 PM »
*rubs chin* Hmmmm! Might have to make this if we get a second deer!

Looks good! Thanks!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »
Don't let a lack of venison stop you. It's great with extra lean ground beef, too.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
This is an easy recipe for WOLFY'S DEER SUMMER SAUSAGE that I have 'diddled' with for years, but I think I'm finished messing with it now.  I just pulled it out of our recipe file to make up a batch with some burger from this year's buck.  Hope all you deer hunters give it a shot and let me know what you think.  We've received accolades from people that have had it and I've given the recipe out on other forums where it has been quite popular, too.  So, if you've got lots of deer burger to deal with, this is a great way to use some of it, but it works fine with beef burger, too.

3# deer burger
2 T liquid smoke
4-5 cloves crushed garlic....or MORE
1 T whole mustard seed
3 T Morton Tender Quick
1 Cup water
1/4 t course-ground fresh black pepper
1/2 t onion powder
2 T brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes

METHOD:
Mix all the ingredients together and pour over meat while mixing.......I use the dough hook on our KitchenAid stand mixer.  Form into two logs about 2-3" in diameter & 12" long.  Seal in foil & refrigerate for 24 hours. Punch holes in bottom of foil with a fork.  Place on broiler pan or cake rack on a sheet pan, so fat can drip out during baking.  Bake 1 1/4 hours @ 325 degrees.  Unwrap & cool.  Wrap with plastic wrap & store in refrigerator or freeze.

I mix up 6# at a time, because 3# just doesn't last long enough around here  :stir:

This is kind of a 'basic' recipe that we have arrived at to suit different family members' taste 'prejudices', so feel free to experiment by adding different commonly added sausage ingredients that you may crave.  :cheers:

I'm assuming your recipe is calling for Teaspoons and not Tablespoons ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »

At little "t" is a teaspoon, a big "T" is a tablespoon. Note the "t" for onion powder and pepper? All the rest are tablespoons.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »

At little "t" is a teaspoon, a big "T" is a tablespoon. Note the "t" for onion powder and pepper? All the rest are tablespoons.

More texting crap and short cuts,  I know it's my problem,  but it's still a pet peeve.

Oh,  thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely give it a try.   :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:38:32 PM by Moe M. »

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »

Yeah,   T=Tablespoon.        t=teaspoon.  That's standard designation for each measurement in most recipe books :P     Those are not 'etched in stone' either.....just a general guideline.   This will get you a good sausage, but I had to adjust and add and subtract spices and quantities until my finicky brother and wife would eat it without in' about too much of this or that or ANY of that.  They like this mixture and we eat quite a bit of it on crackers with cheese, serve it to guests and give it away to my nieces for Chritmas presents.  Seems like when I get started making a little of it, I end up making it every few days because it mysteriously goes away pretty quickly at first :(

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »

Yeah,   T=Tablespoon.        t=teaspoon.  That's standard designation for each measurement in most recipe books :P     Those are not 'etched in stone' either.....just a general guideline.   This will get you a good sausage, but I had to adjust and add and subtract spices and quantities until my finicky brother and wife would eat it without in' about too much of this or that or ANY of that.  They like this mixture and we eat quite a bit of it on crackers with cheese, serve it to guests and give it away to my nieces for Chritmas presents.  Seems like when I get started making a little of it, I end up making it every few days because it mysteriously goes away pretty quickly at first :(

Thanks Bud,  I'll be giving this a try this coming weekend.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 05:51:29 AM »

Question,

Wolfy, if you are cooking this recipe in the oven,  what does the Morton's Tender Quick do for the recipe,  it's a curing salt I believe,  so I would guess that it's not in there to enhance taste,  does it extend the shelf life or change the texture of the finished sausage ?

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 06:09:50 AM »
It does all that, but it turns it the red color of most all sausage products, too.  It's the carcinogens that make it so good  :drool:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »
It does all that, but it turns it the red color of most all sausage products, too.  It's the carcinogens that make it so good  :drool:

Ok,  here's another,  how well does it do unrefridgerated,  say as a trail food for a week end.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »

Ok,  here's another,  how well does it do unrefridgerated,  say as a trail food for a week end.

Well, I don't guarantee anything, but we carry it around in the truck when we're hunting for several days at a time and we're both still here :shrug:   It's supposed to be refrigerated, but I think you ought to be able to get by for a couple of days in cool conditions.  We haul about 10# of it to Texas over the holiday season with no refrigeration for 4-5 days and none of our guinea pig nieces have suffered any ill effects from it yet.  So, I guess it's your call, Moe........consider that a standard disclaimer to avoid future lawsuits :cheers:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »

Well, I don't guarantee anything, but we carry it around in the truck when we're hunting for several days at a time and we're both still here :shrug:   It's supposed to be refrigerated, but I think you ought to be able to get by for a couple of days in cool conditions.  We haul about 10# of it to Texas over the holiday season with no refrigeration for 4-5 days and none of our guinea pig nieces have suffered any ill effects from it yet.  So, I guess it's your call, Moe........consider that a standard disclaimer to avoid future lawsuits :cheers:

Ok,  Morton's Tender Quick is a cure,  but it also contains preservatives (so the company claims),  that's probably why it work so well in your recipe.
  I like hard sausages and smoked sausages,  one of my favorites is a smoked Polish sausage that I buy at a Polish Deli that makes their own,  it's like Kielbasa, but it's double smoked (what ever that means),  it holds up well for three day camp outs,  and we've kept it ok for week long rendezvous (kept cool and out of the hot sun),  though it doesn't usually last too long before it all gets eaten up (good stuff).
  I will definitely try your recipe,  it sounds great, and it looks like it would be a good pack food for meets and week end outtings.

Thanks again.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »
The version I make out of beef will "sweat" a bit if it's kept above ~60oF for 24 hrs +, so I'd recommend keeping it wrapped. My recipe is the same basic one as Wolfy's, the only difference being additional spices. For a long time I couldn't get Tender Quick, so I used Morton's Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
The version I make out of beef will "sweat" a bit if it's kept above ~60oF for 24 hrs +, so I'd recommend keeping it wrapped. My recipe is the same basic one as Wolfy's, the only difference being additional spices. For a long time I couldn't get Tender Quick, so I used Morton's Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure.

I've never used it,  but I've heard good things about it,  Amazon sells it on line,  so i'll be ordering some from there.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
The version I make out of beef will "sweat" a bit if it's kept above ~60oF for 24 hrs +, so I'd recommend keeping it wrapped. My recipe is the same basic one as Wolfy's.

I've had that weeping problem before also, even with salt/smoke cured bacon,  I always keep cured meats wrapped in cheese cloth and an outter wrap of cotton or linen cloth, and that seems to work pretty good.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
Don't let a lack of venison stop you. It's great with extra lean ground beef, too.

B-b-but venison!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
..... For a long time I couldn't get Tender Quick, so I used Morton's Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure.

I've never used it,  but I've heard good things about it,  Amazon sells it on line,  so i'll be ordering some from there.

B-b-but venison!
I use Tender Quick for my jerky, and have used it making bacon and hams. Good stuff, with emphasis on the "quick". A week vs. a month in the case of bacon.
Some folks don't use sugar in their jerky recipes, but if you do, the smokey sugar cure replaces salt, sugar and liquid smoke.  Morton also makes (made?) a Honey-Maple Sugar cure that I liked, but good luck finding any now.

RPG, the best results are with grind containing no fat (less shrinkage in the oven, no sweating, harder product), so venison is great if you grind your own. Same with beef.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Like I said before, there is nothing 'etched in stone' when it comes to variations of this basic recipe :shrug:    If there are other suggestions as to how to make this stuff, this might be as good a place as any to make those suggestions known for all to see. Through PM's, I discovered Old Philosopher adds a few things to his that I don't use (I tried) because the rest of my family doesn't like them.  I don't like caraway seed for instance, so I don't use any, as one example of what i'm talking about.

I guarantee that my feelings won't be hurt if someone adds or subtracts spices from my tried and true recipe 8).   This is just what we eventually came up with in trying to satisfy everyone in our immediate family.  If you like an additional spice, please suggest ways and amounts of them for others to try!   If you find a variation that makes it more toothsome in your household after giving it a try, let us all in on your secret :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »
I've tweaked my recipe over the years like Wolfy, to meet out tastes. I also cook mine lower and slower.
So here's my version.

Oven Salami

2-3 Ibs ground meat (anything but fowl)
1 Tbs curing salt (your favorite cure)
1/2 Tbs liquid smoke
1/2 Tbs whole black pepper corns
1/2 Tbs whole mustard seed
1/2 Tbs fennel seed
1/2 Tbs caraway seed
1/2 Tbs coriander seed
1/2 Tbs cumin seed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder/granules

Kill animal. Grind up. Place meat in bowl (NO aluminum). Mix thoroughly with all ingredients. Let stand, covered, in refrigerator over night. Remove from bowl, roll meat into two "logs" about 2" in diameter. Place logs on rack on a baking sheet to catch the drippings. Bake in oven at 250oF for 4 hours. Roll the logs over after the first hour to prevent them from getting flat on one side, and minimize the rack marks on the finished logs. Remove from oven, blot excess grease from logs and let cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate, or freeze.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:00:55 AM by Old Philosopher »

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
Thanks, Ol' P.....and your comment about 'grease' reminds me of yet another thing that I do :P.   After taking it out of the oven and removing the foil wrap, I wrap the hot meat log tightly in a terrycloth hand towel and squeeze it good and hard to extract even more of the fat.  After it cools, then it gets wrapped in the plastic film and into the 'fridge' or freezer 8)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
Thanks, Ol' P.....and your comment about 'grease' reminds me of yet another thing that I do :P .   After taking it out of the oven and removing the foil wrap, I wrap the hot meat log tightly in a terrycloth hand towel and squeeze it good and hard to extract even more of the fat.  After it cools, then it gets wrapped in the plastic film and into the 'fridge' or freezer 8)
Three major differences in out prep/cooking methods.
I don't wrap mine in foil.
I form the logs and cook them uncovered on the rack on a baking sheet. I've found there is a lot less fat residue to deal with if they cook in the open on the rack.
Another thing I should have mentioned in the directions was to rotate the logs after the first hour to avoid getting rack marks and/or a flat side to the log. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:01:27 AM by Old Philosopher »

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »
Now we're refining the process and gettin' down to to the real MEAT of the subject :lol:

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
I so want to try this recipe... But since I've never had any venison in my fridge/freezer (not a hunter), it'll have to be beef.
What's that smell?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
I so want to try this recipe... But since I've never had any venison in my fridge/freezer (not a hunter), it'll have to be beef.
If you want, you can get real adventurous and mix beef and pork 50/50.
Like I said in my version, just don't use fowl. Curing salt does not play well with dead birds.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
I can't edit my recipe anymore without bothering PW or any of the rest of the moderators during the busy couple of days before Christmas, but I found a MISTAKE when I was mixing up a batch today!  It's nothing major and nothing will be ruined because of it, but the amount of onion powder is a typo!  FOR ONION POWDER IT SHOULD READ 1-2 TEASPOONS INSTEAD OF 1/2 TEASPOON :-[

.....and still NO caraway seed :puke: :rofl:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
OK, we're back from Texas where I delivered, as promised, my annual Christmas gift shipment of summer sausage to my nieces.  It was suggested that I did not need to wrap the sausage logs in foil, as I have always done in the past, and to leave them in the oven at a lower temperature for a longer period of time.  So, I decided to do half of it in foil at the higher temp and half unwrapped at the lower temperature and leave it up to my unbiased panel of Texans to decide. 

With no coaching from me, they all three picked the one I had wrapped, over the unwrapped version, but this was MY original recipe, too, so maybe the extra spices in Old Philosopher's version would have made it better........I dun'no :shrug:   The unwrapped original recipe of mine lost much of it's flavor and it was much drier, harder and just generally not as good when left unwrapped and baked lower and slower.  It all got devoured in the end anyway, so it's ALL good.....just different ???

CONCLUSION OF THE EXPERIMENT:  Follow my original recipe and method for the sausage, as I posted it originally, for best results with it and follow Old Philosopher's recipe and method for his version......OR come up with your own version and tell us all about it here.  :cheers:

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
OK, we're back from Texas where I delivered, as promised, my annual Christmas gift shipment of summer sausage to my nieces.  It was suggested that I did not need to wrap the sausage logs in foil, as I have always done in the past, and to leave them in the oven at a lower temperature for a longer period of time.  So, I decided to do half of it in foil at the higher temp and half unwrapped at the lower temperature and leave it up to my unbiased panel of Texans to decide. 

With no coaching from me, they all three picked the one I had wrapped, over the unwrapped version, but this was MY original recipe, too, so maybe the extra spices in Old Philosopher's version would have made it better........I dun'no :shrug:   The unwrapped original recipe of mine lost much of it's flavor and it was much drier, harder and just generally not as good when left unwrapped and baked lower and slower.  It all got devoured in the end anyway, so it's ALL good.....just different ???

CONCLUSION OF THE EXPERIMENT:  Follow my original recipe and method for the sausage, as I posted it originally, for best results with it and follow Old Philosopher's recipe and method for his version......OR come up with your own version and tell us all about it here.  :cheers:
That's it, Wolfy.  I'm comin' over for supper tomorrow night.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 05:15:03 AM »
Don't know how I missed this one, but that really sounds yummy!  I love that stuff more than it likes me, and I'm wondering if homemade would help with that... 

Thanks for the recipes!!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
Thanks Wolfy for the plug. I'll be giving it a try. Have you tryed placing logs in slow smoker?
Spyder
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »
The best summer sausage I have ate to date was made by a small processor some where between WhiteRiver & Rapid city. My friend in WR recomemended we mix two doe's with a whole hog minius the best cuts and make all Summer sausage. Don't know the seasonings but sure wish I had got it before moving south.  :(
Spyder
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
Thanks Wolfy for the plug. I'll be giving it a try. Have you tryed placing logs in slow smoker?
Spyder
No, I don't bother smoking any of this recipe in my smoker.   It's designed more for kitchen ovens & those that don't have access to a smoker......the liquid smoke takes the pace of real smoke.   The flavor 'ripens' and gets better after a day or two in the refrigerator.....th e flavors meld better after that extra time in the cooler.
The best summer sausage I have ate to date was made by a small processor some where between WhiteRiver & Rapid city. My friend in WR recomemended we mix two doe's with a whole hog minius the best cuts and make all Summer sausage. Don't know the seasonings but sure wish I had got it before moving south.  :(
Spyder
I'm sorry to say that I heard that guy threw in the towel and sold his meat business after my recipe went viral on the Internet! 8)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
Sounds/reads like a good recipe. I will likely try this one.
Thanks Wolfy!
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, and bump, guys! It's getting close to time to think about making up some of this for our Thanksgiving Snack Tray.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 05:39:26 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, and bump, guys! It's getting close to time to think about making up some of this for our Thanksgiving Snack Tray.

Thanks to all for posting their recipes for their summer sausage and for the bump,  I had wanted to make this last year but got busy and forgot all about it,  so now that I'm reminded I'm planning to try it soon.

Question for both Wolfy and OP,  my grinder has finally crapped out and i've misplaced my old cast hand grinder,  do you guys think that if I threw the burger meat and other ingredients into my Kitchen Aid food processor that it would work ok, or do you think it would break the meat down too much and change the flavor or texture ?

Offline flatlander88

• Whetstone +
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:04 AM »
I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »

Thanks to all for posting their recipes for their summer sausage and for the bump,  I had wanted to make this last year but got busy and forgot all about it,  so now that I'm reminded I'm planning to try it soon.

Question for both Wolfy and OP,  my grinder has finally crapped out and i've misplaced my old cast hand grinder,  do you guys think that if I threw the burger meat and other ingredients into my Kitchen Aid food processor that it would work ok, or do you think it would break the meat down too much and change the flavor or texture ?
If you're talking about grinding muscle meat in a food processor, then yeah, you'd end up with a pate. If you already have the ground meat, the recipe is mixed by hand. All those seeds are supposed to remain whole in the salami.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »

If you're talking about grinding muscle meat in a food processor, then yeah, you'd end up with a pate. If you already have the ground meat, the recipe is mixed by hand. All those seeds are supposed to remain whole in the salami.

Thanks, that's what I figured,  but wanted to be sure that it wasn't to better incorporate the other ingredients.       :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »

Thanks, that's what I figured,  but wanted to be sure that it wasn't to better incorporate the other ingredients.       :thumbsup:
Nope. Just follow Wolfy's directions about thoroughly mixing by hand, and then let it refrigerate over night to blend the smoke and other flavors before forming into "logs".

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:53 PM »
I saw that a couple of people were reading this thread and since it's getting cold out and a few of us have a deer, or will soon be getting one, the time is ripe for a recipe bump. :drool:

I'm makin' some this weekend. :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
Thanks for bumping that one up Wolfy.

I have a lot of  ground venison and also a lot of ground buffalo on hand and will make some of each.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »
Aw Wolfy that recipe sucks.  You had better send me a pound to prove how wrong I am. 

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »
You might not be able to handle it, so maybe I'll send you a standard venison pemmican recipe to start you off on the right foot:

VENISON PEMMICAN RECIPE

Ingredients:
10 lbs. dried and pounded venison
10 lbs. rendered venison tallow
1 emptied & well rinsed deer stomach

Method:
Pour melted tallow over powdered venison.  Mix well.  Pack tightly in deer stomach.
Cool & store in cool, dark place.
Keeps indefinitely.  Eat only when you are REALLY hungry!  8)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
I could use that recipe for company that stays too long and I don't like in the first place. :-X
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 02:39:58 PM »
Thanks buddy.  That is what friends are for.   :taunt:

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »
Always got yer' back, Georgie Boy. :thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline fuzzfarmer

• Mill File
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
I have this in the oven right now. I did however accidentally put in 1T, instead of 1/4t of black pepper.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 01:51:56 PM »
I have this in the oven right now. I did however accidentally put in 1T, instead of 1/4t of black pepper.
If you increase the rest of the ingredients by 12 times also, you should be just fine.  :doh:

Just kidding, I have to confess to adding extra pepper myself, sometimes. ;D   Just never quite that much. :[  Let us know how it turns out.

Offline fuzzfarmer

• Mill File
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
Lol. Will do.