Author Topic: Avery Power Hunter Shoulder Bag.  (Read 2293 times)

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
Avery Power Hunter Shoulder Bag.
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »
I have recently purchased a piece of kit that has become a constant hunting companion.       Sold primarily as a duck hunter's blind bag it makes a great stalking bag for a State that requires shotgun only hunting.  It would not be a perfect turkey hunting bag as it is too small and not set up with a lot of pockets for calls like many turkey hunters like.  For woods bumming and small game and predator hunting I find it perfect.  The shot shells are held in neoprene sleeves rather than the normal elastic loops.  Mounted across the front flap the sleeves hold ammo secure, clean and totally protected, yet 10 rounds are instantly available. I seldom carry ten ready rounds, but they would all fit if I needed to.  My 20 gauge shells fit really nicely as do 16 and 12 gauge, I do not own a 28 so I cannot comment on their fit, .410 do not fit at all however.  Inside the front flap pocket are some sleeves intended for choke tube and choke wrench storage.  I find that they do hold .410 shells nicely, as well as my sub caliber inserts.  That pocket can be accessed without opening the flap as it has a full length zipper.  The back side of the flap has two nice mesh zippered pockets that hold my calls,  easily accessed and protected by the padded front flap.  The front flap is held with two Fastex buckles or a strong magnet.  I usually clip the Fastex when I am on the move and leave the flap secured with just the magnet when I am in a blind.  The main compartment has a removable water proof zippered liner.  Designed to keep gear dry in a wet duck boat or blind, for upland hunting I found it made a great blood proof game bag.  I have since made some game hanging straps however from paracord and metal o-rings.  The bag is held in place with a full perimeter of Velcro so I put items that I do not need to access often under the water proof bag Velcro it in place and use the bag itself as designed, a waterproof place for lunch, a cold pack and a drink bottle.  A padded pocket on the end keeps my shooting glasses safe.  A nice wide strap with a non-slip neoprene pad completes the package.  This bag has become my modern possibles bag.  I do not grab my shotgun without taking the bag as well.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline Prairiewolf

• Mill File
Re: Avery Power Hunter Shoulder Bag.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
I just tried one of these out for deer hunting this past fall and it worked great! I carry a 20 gauge and those flap loops are just right to just push them up and out. Inside I have a couple of knives and some latex gloves, my nylon deer dragger loop, Leatherman fold up brush pruner, grunt call and bleat can. If I use a backpack, I tend to overload with things that don't get used. This bag forces me to get the cargo down to basics. I like the handle on top, too. It is real handy getting the bag in & out of truck or ground blind.           

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
Re: Avery Power Hunter Shoulder Bag.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »
I like this bag so much I recently added a second one to my gear.  I just purchased a 12 gauge shot gun in MAX-4 camouflage so I got a bag in Avery's marsh grass pattern to kind of match it.  My real reason is that I do not like to mix 20 and 12 gauge stuff.  A 20 shell will drop right down a 12 gauge tube and would become a deadly obstruction if that were to ever to happen in the heat of a hunt.  I will not even get a 12 to 20 adapter because I do not want the two sizes of shells with each other. 

Some one asked me the sizes.  The bag is 14" x 12" x 4"  a good sized shoulder bag, but not huge.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:27:41 PM by werewolf won »
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!