Author Topic: The Ka-Bar Becker sheath dulling issue  (Read 12094 times)

Offline Zeus

• Administrator
  • Whetstone +
  • Forging Knives on Olympus
The Ka-Bar Becker sheath dulling issue
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »
I know there are a lot of Becker fans out there. I have 4 of the Ka-Bar Beckers, 2 of the early BK2s and 2 of the Neckers. They are great knives. Tough as nails, but I had a heck of a time keeping an edge on the neckers. I'd sharpen them, strop them until the would just glide through paper, and then I'd get them out again later and they wouldn't be nearly a sharp. I couldn't figure it out!

These videos I found on youtube explain what's happening.

I tried this myself with the Necker sheath and an Izula sheath and sure enough the results are repeatable!

What do you guys think?

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
Re: The Ka-Bar Becker sheath dulling issue
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:07:17 AM »
This is why I always make a leather sheath for any slicing knives I get with a Kydex sheath system. Kydex is great for axe and tomahawk skins as well as tactical knives. I have found through personal experience that if you work the edge of a knife to a flawless razors edge then you limit it to the exposure of use.
        The best example I can think of is a high quality fillet knife that has a polished even micro edge. You can shave your face with it but try and get any time cutting paper or shaving wood with it before it needs sharpening. For cutting soft fish flesh it will last a long time.
         Take a woods knife with a normal scandi or convex that is sharpened on a stone or diamond rod.
You get a lot of use on it for wood shaving or paper but the micro edge is still got a little of that rough or serrated look. Hope this makes sense.
         I guess what I am saying is the more fine and polished razor edge you give a knife edge you need to make sure the sheath has soft contact with the edge because that contact is square across the face and not at an angle.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »
Roger That Trentu!!!
                            Makes sense to me. The only two Blades I have with Kydex Sheaths, save for the Kabar which I gave to my son, are the Maniord WSK, and the Bark River Bravo1.
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline Zeus

• Administrator
  • Whetstone +
  • Forging Knives on Olympus
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
I think the difference is the Becker sheaths are made from fiberglass reinforced nylon. Kydex isn't as good as leather, of course, but it is no worse than a plastic cutting board. The glass fibers in the Becker sheaths on the other hand... Well glass is pretty hard stuff even when it's microscopic fibers.

Glass filled nylon is great stuff for all sorts of things. My first experience with it was as a kid building R/C cars. I had an RC10 that came with glass filled nylon "A" arms and other suspension components. We used to trim any excess off with an X-Acto knife to save weight and that stuff would dull your X-Acto extremely quick.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Interesting vids...wonder if the factory has seen them.

"this sheath is crap...crap sheath....crap...no resale value with this sheath..."  Right there before your eyes folks!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
I think the difference is the Becker sheaths are made from fiberglass reinforced nylon. Kydex isn't as good as leather, of course, but it is no worse than a plastic cutting board. The glass fibers in the Becker sheaths on the other hand... Well glass is pretty hard stuff even when it's microscopic fibers.

Glass filled nylon is great stuff for all sorts of things. My first experience with it was as a kid building R/C cars. I had an RC10 that came with glass filled nylon "A" arms and other suspension components. We used to trim any excess off with an X-Acto knife to save weight and that stuff would dull your X-Acto extremely quick.

I have been told by customer service at Kabar Becker that they no longer use the glass filled sheaths but it is possible to still get one in a purchase from a knife shop if they have old stock.  That being said, I am supposed to have a new glass free sheath and still get a dulling of the blade but not to the degree of that the guy in the video has problems.  I am interested in getting some aftermarket kydex sheaths made for my knives (preferably made by me in the near future).
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
Have you tried drawing the edge of the knife across the edge of the sheath in a very quiet room? You can sometimes hear a little ringing, "bristly" sound as the edge breaks the glass fibers (and they dull the edge). You don't have to cut deep or press hard to hear this.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »
Have you tried drawing the edge of the knife across the edge of the sheath in a very quiet room? You can sometimes hear a little ringing, "bristly" sound as the edge breaks the glass fibers (and they dull the edge). You don't have to cut deep or press hard to hear this.

No, but I am going to do it now................ .........

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »

I did and I am very disappointed now in Becker Customer Service.  I heard the bristly breaking of the glass fibers.  I then tested the same knife on an Azwelke kydex sheath that I have and no bristly crunch.  So now I wonder why Becker flat out and lied to me about my sheath being a "glassless" model.

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
More than Likely, the CSR didn't know the Product well enough to tell you the Answer. :(
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
good info to know :)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 07:43:03 AM »

Being a dyed in the wool traditionalist I can't warm up to any of the hard plastic type knife sheaths or Handgun holsters no matter what specific material they are made of,  and I'm not much of a fan of nylon sheaths either.
 I have to admit to being a knife nut and owning many more than I actually need,  many are the newer production knives that came with the hard sheaths or nylon which I usually discard upon opening the box,  in my opinion you can't get a better sheath or holster material than good old fashion leather.
 Of course to each his own,  use what you like,  but leather is traditional for a reason,  it works,  providing one properly treats the leather and keeps it well maintained it should last a lifetime even under hard use.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »

I did and I am very disappointed now in Becker Customer Service.  I heard the bristly breaking of the glass fibers.  I then tested the same knife on an Azwelke kydex sheath that I have and no bristly crunch.  So now I wonder why Becker flat out and lied to me about my sheath being a "glassless" model.

Wow, I hope they get it sorted out for you.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »
I'm not going to let it bother me.  I am going to make one of the sheaths like your Baby Bushie sheath for it!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 04:44:54 PM »
I'm not going to let it bother me.  I am going to make one of the sheaths like your Baby Bushie sheath for it!

Cool!

Is it the Eskabar model with the Izula style handle? I'm not sure how it would work with the regular Becker Necker since the handle has an odd shape to it that might not allow a snap to fit through.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »
It has the Izula style handle.  I will let you know how it works out when I get that far. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »

Cool!

Is it the Eskabar model with the Izula style handle? I'm not sure how it would work with the regular Becker Necker since the handle has an odd shape to it that might not allow a snap to fit through.

With a well designed and formed leather sheath a retention strap shouldn't really be needed,  I made one for my Buck Pac-Lite which is much along the same lines as the Izula and Eskabar and after a year of use it still retains the knife quite well,  and I imagine the same would be true for one made with a Kidex type material.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.