Author Topic: Cooking equipment  (Read 2285 times)

Offline TheOutdoorist

• Whetstone +
Cooking equipment
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »
Will re do this post soon due to a change in kit and deleting all the old photos on accident!!

Sorry
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:22:19 PM by TheOutdoorist »
My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
Re: Cooking equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:53:24 AM »
WOW. That's a lot of gear. Good stuff. Thanks for showing it to us.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »

Can you share some details on this setup, specifically the bail? Did you make it yourself and is it reliable?

Offline TheOutdoorist

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »

Can you share some details on this setup, specifically the bail? Did you make it yourself and is it reliable?

Hello, The set up is a crusader mug, heavycover lid and crusader mug hanger, all peices were made and the bail has never failed on my although i have heard of the coming loose for other people. I am considering drilling two small holes into the mug and adding a more permanent bail but this works perfectly at the moment :)

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
Hello, The set up is a crusader mug, heavycover lid and crusader mug hanger, all peices were made and the bail has never failed on my although i have heard of the coming loose for other people. I am considering drilling two small holes into the mug and adding a more permanent bail but this works perfectly at the moment :)

Interesting... I wonder if something similar would work for the USGI canteen cup?

Offline TheOutdoorist

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
Interesting... I wonder if something similar would work for the USGI canteen cup?

If you're in the UK i can send it to you for you to try the set up? :)

I have the usgi set but i think the lip is too shallow for it to 'grip' the loose bail, i think that would have to be drilled and a bail added, i added my own bail to the zebra billy can using brake cable off an old bike

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
Now that is a great variety of high grade cooking gear. Nice pics too. It's great to have options and to use a variety of gear.

I too like the bale for the crusader cup. Something I tried for a bit with the USGI canteen cup may work for others:
Take some heavy bailing/snare wire and make a wrap around the mouth of the cup just below the flared rim. Use needle nose pliers to twist the ends of the wire together to tighten it up. Next take two lengths of wire about 15cm long and feed the end of each wire under the loop around the mouth (imagine the kidney shape as having four "corners" the wire bales then go corner to corner in an X. Twist them back on themselves around the lip wire to secure them. I crossed them like an X in order to make the cup more stable when hung.
I realize this is not very clear. I'll post a pic when I get home tomorrow.
Yeo
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
If you're in the UK i can send it to you for you to try the set up? :)

I'm in the US but thanks for the kind offer!

I have the usgi set but i think the lip is too shallow for it to 'grip' the loose bail, i think that would have to be drilled and a bail added

That's what I was thinking. Oh well, I'm loving my Kelly Kettle No. 1 anyhow LOL!