Author Topic: MLL Knives XL Wildland  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Carbon1

• Whetstone +
MLL Knives XL Wildland
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »
Hey guys, just got my new knife in the other day, and went and took her out for a test drive. I had Mario upsize his Wildland chopper, and got the XL Wildland. Man, this thing is a Beast! It's O1 steel, forged finish, and with a little extra recurve. I had him do the sheath scout style, since I like to carry it in the small of my back. I find this very comfortable, especially for a large knife like this, usually I forget it's even there. This style of carry is also very quick to draw, even while seated. The blade has a scandi grind, which I'll admit, I was a little leery of at first, on a big blade, but after some hard use, all that worry has gone away. In the video, you can see it holds up just fine. After all that, it still shaved hair off my arm easily. And let me just say, if you're looking for a chopper, you've found it. Even with only a 7 1/2" blade, due to the recurve and weight-forward design, this monster outchops some of my larger knives easily. It didn't bind in the work, it just sent chips flying! I would also like to add, that Mario was a real pleasure to work with, kept me updated throughout the whole process, did exactly what I asked for, and just did a great job overall. If you're looking to get a custom knife, I can't recommend him highly enough. Hope this wasn't too long, and enjoy the video. It was my first, so there's some mistakes. There are plenty of pics of the knife on his website and Facebook page, so I won't include any here, but there are some at the end of the video. Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:14:45 AM by Carbon1 »

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
Re: MLL Knives XL Wildland
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
COOL Video Carbon1!!! 8)
                                          I have Mario's Desert Sniper, & could not be more pleased with it! :)
He Crafts Great Blades! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
That was a fun video to watch and back off of the caffeine some.  :sarcasm:

That knife worked like a workhorse.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »
He certainly has a great looking shape in his line up and this one looks like it performed great too!

I also want to commend you for making that fire in those conditions with no other tinder-great job!! :thumbsup:

Offline Carbon1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
Thanks Remo, it was actually pretty fun to do, I just have to budget my memory cards a little better in the field next time. And don't worry, no offense taken Greyhound. Let me tell you, that knife wouldn't stop working. It still shaved after all that, and there was a LOT of video on the cutting room floor. The blade is only 7 1/2" long, but the heft and weight-forward design make it a formidable chopper, while the scandi grind lets it bite for the more delicate work. And thanks for the commedation, Dano. It was unbelievably wet. I had to change my original film site because the ground was so mushy, the tripod was sinking in. You can imagine what the wood was like. That's why I changed my plan and went with a one-stick fire, to get to dry wood faster. I would also like to add that you guys have a very friendly forum here.

Offline MLL Knives

• Whetstone +
    • MLL Knives
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
Hello everyone.
Thanks you guys for the comments and feedback.

Carbon1, you did a professional job with this video, a special thanks to you. The Wildland have a powerful cutting but the XL is amazing.

I lost my head to edit the link to show the video on topic, but now I know,  I removed the "s" from the "https" and works.

Thanks
Mario Leao
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:36:18 PM by MLL Knives »
You can learn about my work here: http://www.facebook.com/MLLKnives or www.mllknivespt.com

Offline Carbon1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
No problem, Mario. It was a pleasure to work with you and to use the knife you made for me. I like to do my part to make sure good businesses succeed in the marketplace. I hope you continue to grow and do well.
P.S.: You're not gonna void my warranty for that knife throw in the beginning of the video, are you? 8)

Offline MLL Knives

• Whetstone +
    • MLL Knives
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
No problem, Mario. It was a pleasure to work with you and to use the knife you made for me. I like to do my part to make sure good businesses succeed in the marketplace. I hope you continue to grow and do well.
P.S.: You're not gonna void my warranty for that knife throw in the beginning of the video, are you? 8)

No problem, against wood it will never break, I do not know how you do it I've tried throwing knives several times but never sticks in the tree with such perfection, rarely get stuck.
You can learn about my work here: http://www.facebook.com/MLLKnives or www.mllknivespt.com

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
Nice job on your vid carbon, and sweet job on the blade Mario... 8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline rlh2

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Love that blade!
"Help me to be, to think, to act what is right because it is right; make me truthful, honest, and honorable in all things; make me intellectually honest for the sake of right and honor and without thought of reward to me." - Robert E. Lee

Offline Carbon1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »
Thanks guys. I love the blade shape too. I'm a sucker for recurves. An added benefit from the tip of the knife being so wide, is that it works great as a chisel. I will have to post some pics or video one of these days using it to carve some traps. It cut nice and flat, just like a chisel, and that scandi edge held up great. I still can't get over how well it handles detail work for such a large knife, as demonstrated by the feathered paper. Here is a pic of it next to a Sebenza, for size. It isn't as long as you might think, but the recurve and weight make it a prime chopper. And to be honest, it throws like a dream for such a large knife. In case you can't tell, I love this knife!

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »
killer!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
Great vid and awesome work in a wet/damp environment that ain't easy. I looked this one up after seeing your newest one. 
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Carbon1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 03:47:38 PM »
Thanks, Barbarossa. If you like Mario's work, here's some more pics to drool over. This thing won't stop working. It is PURE beast!

Offline MLL Knives

• Whetstone +
    • MLL Knives
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 07:32:31 AM »
Hi everyone, some more photos of XL Wildland.

Specifications:
◆Overall Length: 12.1/4" (31,5cm).
◆Blade Length: 7.1/2" (19,0cm).
◆Blade Thickness: 1/4" (6mm).
◆Blade Finish: Dark forged finish.
◆Blade Material: "O1" high carbon steel.
◆Handle Material: Micarta or G10.  - brown G10 in this photo
◆Sheath: Black or brown leather.

I hope you guys like it.
Mario Leao

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
Man that is great looking! :thumbsup:

Offline MLL Knives

• Whetstone +
    • MLL Knives
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
Man that is great looking! :thumbsup:

Thank you Dano.

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »
You sure make some Great Blades Mario!!! :)  Really the Bees-Knees!   :thumbsup:
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline MLL Knives

• Whetstone +
    • MLL Knives
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »
You sure make some Great Blades Mario!!! :)  Really the Bees-Knees!   :thumbsup:

Thank you Remo007. :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 05:32:22 PM »
I like the angle at the front of the scales, give the knife a nice aggressive look. Very cool! :thumbsup:

Offline MLL Knives

• Whetstone +
    • MLL Knives
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
I like the angle at the front of the scales, give the knife a nice aggressive look. Very cool! :thumbsup:

Thank you PetrifiedWood.