Author Topic: Continental Field Bag by LL Bean  (Read 2640 times)

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
Continental Field Bag by LL Bean
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »

I had a gift certificate to use up so I ordered one of these shoulder bags, and I am impressed.  It is a smallish bag, but has a padded pocket for a Kindle or similar sized reader or tablet.  A larger padded pocket for binoculars and a field guide or note book etc.  Several mesh organizing pockets with zippers, an external padded pocket ideal for a cell phone, and a water bottle pocket also on the outside.  And a flat zippered pocket that seems just made for a folded map or similar sized documents.  Big heavy zips on all the pockets and a Fastex bucked top flap to keep everything neat and trim.  A wide padded shoulder strap and web handle complete the package.  I went with the olive color which is dull but not threatening tactical looking.  I could walk into a store and not attract unwanted attention for instance.

If legal where you are; rather than binoculars the pocket for them could easily hold up to a large framed pistol.  The padding would hide the contents, but a quick draw would not be possible.

I see mine working as my weekend man?s purse.  My eye glasses, GPS, cell phones, note book, Leatherman, Kindle, field glasses, car keys, house keys, little FAK, mints, tissues, flash light etc will all have a place rather than in my pockets or hanging off my belt.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68599?productId=1143412&subrnd=0&qs=3016887_pmd_google_pla

I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Continental Field Bag by LL Bean
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »
Looks nice and lots of pockets! The only possible issue I see is the mesh padding they put on the side of the pack that goes against your body. It is great for ventilation and cutting down on sweat. I have a couple of packs from other companies and they have the same stuff on them, and it is like velcro for twigs, grass and pine needles.

Otherwise it looks like a really handy bag that can organize a lot of stuff. The price is nice too compared to the Maxped offerings.

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »
Yes, I wish they did not do the mesh back too.  I had a $10 buck off coupon so it was a very reasonible price, but even at full you are doing fine.  As with a lot of LLBean's stuff these days however NOT US MADE!!
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
Looks like a handy item for most small trips, whether woodsy or city....thanks for sharing
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline JTD

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
I need a bag for my kindles and ipod.. looks like a good setup!  Thanks WW