Author Topic: Falconer?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Falconer?
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
Anyone here a falconer? Just finished a good article in the bi monthly magazine our DNR puts out about Falconry here in MN. Apparently there are about 120 licensed falconers in the state.  On an interesting note the favored bird of prey here to use are Red tailed hawks. Aside from the training and aquiring and assorted legal and moral stuff on getting the hawk the technique the falconer in the story used was pretty simple.  He basically released the hawk, which promptly found a good spot to overwatch the falconer while he tromped through likely rabbit habitat and flushed them out for the hawk.

I think something like this would be awesome to see in person. So, any falconers here on B&B?
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Falconer?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »
I'm not one, but thought I'd pop in to tell you theres one that comes to a Hunting show near New London, Mn.   The place to look up is  Prairie Pothole Days for dates and times.   In the fall. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Sudz

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
I am not one but would like to be and share your interest! When we finally settle down from school and such this is something I would like to do. It's quite time consuming and requires much care but is a rewarding "hobby" to have. I have met a few here in UT/ID that hunt with them and share with folks at a variety of programs. I also looked into making hoods, bells and gloves pretty serious for awhile but resorted that it would be more respectful if I truly understood how all of the features effected the birds first, so I tabled it for now. My experience has been most Falconer's are very willing to share their love of Falconry with others, find one local and give them a shout!!! Love to hear how it goes for you.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Falconer?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »
I'm not one either, but they're are quite a few her in Montana.
I'm sure that it would be a wonderful pastime.
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
I've always been interested in it, but from what I understand from the few falconers I've talked to, it's not a casual undertaking. It's not like owning a hunting dog, and you can't just take it out and oil it now and then like a shotgun.
Keeping a predatory bird that eats raw meat is a 24/7/365 commitment.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:45:25 PM »
I've always been interested in it, but from what I understand from the few falconers I've talked to, it's not a casual undertaking. It's not like owning a hunting dog, and you can't just take it out and oil it now and then like a shotgun.

I think it's like milking cows, from what I've heard.....takes a LOT of dedication!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sudz

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »
x2 what O.P. and Wolfy said, huge time and resource commitment but quite rewarding as I am told by the local Falconer's.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Falconer?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »

I think it's like milking cows, from what I've heard.....takes a LOT of dedication!
Yep...
We have two beagles... That's enough for me ;)
I really wouldn't want to keep a bird captive anyway. Hell, our chickens 'run free' until we decide to eat then ;D

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Falconer?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »
And besides...
We have enough problems around these parts with goshawks. They have been a nuisance for a couple of years now.

OP...
That's why a fellow keeps Roos around ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »
And besides...
We have enough problems around these parts with goshawks. They have been a nuisance for a couple of years now.

OP...
Sooo.... Instead of a Red Tail hawk, or Peregrine falcon for rabbit hunting, do like the Mongolians and get a Golden Eagle for hunting coyotes and wolves. That would solve your goshawk problem, too.  :P

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Falconer?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:10:30 PM »
And besides...

OP...
Sooo.... Instead of a Red Tail hawk, or Peregrine falcon for rabbit hunting, do like the Mongolians and get a Golden Eagle for hunting coyotes and wolves. That would solve your goshawk problem, too.  :P
Yes it would OP :)
But we have had a horrible problem up here for a couple of years now.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »

Many years ago, before anyone heard of the SPCA or PETA, the local game farm that raised pheasants for the State (WA) had their pens surrounded with 15'-20' tall poles. On top of each post was a #2 Victor jump trap. The traps had to be emptied at least once a day. 

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Falconer?
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:39:17 AM »

Many years ago, before anyone heard of the SPCA or PETA, the local game farm that raised pheasants for the State (WA) had their pens surrounded with 15'-20' tall poles. On top of each post was a #2 Victor jump trap. The traps had to be emptied at least once a day.
That doesn't surprise me at all!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:55 AM »
There's a raised-bird hunting operation just across the river from me on the way to Yankton that got into some pretty hot water for exceeding the limit on red tailed hawks a few years ago, too 8).  We have almost zero pheasants here anymore, but the redtails and other B's OP are just thick.  Being on several heavily used migration routes doesn't help that situation any, either. 
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX