Author Topic: Bowls  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Bowls
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
Decided it was about time i did a bit more bowl carving today, so out with the Adze it was.

I managed to get two bowl blanks roughed out this afternoon, the top one in the picture is from a piece of spalted Birch, although I'm not convinced it will last due to some checking in the wood, the checks were evident when i started, so it was always possible the bowl would crack and that's the risk i decided to take,  I've placed it in a ziplock for the time being to slow the rate of checking down a bit, if it doesn't make it, well, I'll just make another one. 

The other bowl is made from a piece of Ash and is designed to be used as a loose change dish, jewelry tray, odd & sods tray or whatever someone wants to use it as, I've made it the style of a dough bowl, albeit considerably smaller.

There is a still a long way to go on both bowls and I'm hoping to be able to finish them off over the weekend, keep you posted.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
Re: Bowls
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »
Those are gonna be stunning  bowls. Hope the  birch one turns out well.
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
I'm glad that Ash is a good wood for bowl making.  I have a few of them laying around here.  :)   Can bowls be carved from a dry Ash log?  Or do they have to start out with greenwood?

The Birch is going to have some pretty grain in it when finished.  I hope it stays good.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
I like the bark-on look of the second one. That adze must speed things up quite a bit vs. carving it out with a crooked knife.

Ever get the urge to make a dugout canoe? :D

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »
I'm glad that Ash is a good wood for bowl making.  I have a few of them laying around here.  :)   Can bowls be carved from a dry Ash log?  Or do they have to start out with greenwood?

The Birch is going to have some pretty grain in it when finished.  I hope it stays good.

WW.

Seasoned Ash can be used, but it hard work, same with any wood, green is far far easier to work, but also has it's own inherent problems, it can crack as it dries for instance

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
I like the bark-on look of the second one. That adze must speed things up quite a bit vs. carving it out with a crooked knife.

The adze makes lkife a whole lot easier, both blanks took less than an hour to rough out

Funny you should mention a canoe though ;D

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
An hour? Wow, the adze sure does make quick work of those! Looking good as usual Kep!

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
Nice!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
Thank you Kep.   

Do you have a picture of either how you hold on to the wood while using your adz or some implement that holds on to it?   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
What do you oil them with to finish them?

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »

The adze makes lkife a whole lot easier, both blanks took less than an hour to rough out

Funny you should mention a canoe though ;D

seriously only an hour?! crap took me bout 3 to carve out the bowl on the maple kuksa I'm doing seriously need to get one of these this summer
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
Those look great Kep!  That adze is an awesome tool and looks perfectly sized for those tasks.  Really saves the elbows and wrists!!

As usual, I admire your work greatly!!

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Thank you Kep.   

Do you have a picture of either how you hold on to the wood while using your adz or some implement that holds on to it?   

WW.

Here you go http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2012/01/adze-block.html

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
What do you oil them with to finish them?

Eithert Walnut or Pure Tung Oil

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »

you make some of the COOLEST things man!!

No kidding! Did you see the shave horse he made? I saw that one almost 2 years ago now and I still remember it.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »
Thank you for the link Kep.    I think I'm going to have to go visit a local sawmill for a good table piece to make one like yours.     I made myself a bench dog...I just didnt think to make a bigger one for larger projects.   

WW.   

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »

No kidding! Did you see the shave horse he made? I saw that one almost 2 years ago now and I still remember it.

both of those are on my list of things to make  this summer. Just need to get me a nice  chunk of wood  for it

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:37 AM »

Cheers guys, im still using that shave horse on a daily basis btw

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »

Cheers guys, im still using that shave horse on a daily basis btw

Well that the thing. The crafts you make are impressive on their own. But the fact that you made most of the tools you use to make the crafts...

Truly amazing, Kep! :)