Author Topic: Discada  (Read 10004 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Discada
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
I really wasn't quite sure where to put this.........here, general section, or food & cooking.  In any case, if a mod wants to move it I have absolutely no problem with that.  I did a search for "discada" and at least found a couple of times they were mentioned, but I didn't see any pics of any so thought I would post a few here of the two I have.  Hopefully photobucket will cooperate with me and this post will be somewhat coherent.

This is a side on comparison of the two.  As you can see, the larger one on the left is no where near as shallow as the one on the right.  The left side discada is 22" across and is shaped much more like a wok, but the sides aren't nearly as steep as a wok.  The one on the right is 17" across and is even shallower.  You may also be able to see the one on the right has a heavy flat bottom underneath.  The left hand disco is forged steel while the right hand disco is cast iron.

Another side by side on their respective cookers.

This is the cooker I made for the smaller one.  (I've also used it for the larger one, but I don't think it gets hot enough for it.)  It is nothing more than a discarded plant stand, a single burner like you'd use on a 1 lb. propane bottle, some picture hanging wire, and a hose adapter to hook it to a larger propane tank.

This is the burner I use for the larger disco.  This sucker can get real HOT.  I remember heating the disco up one time, pouring the canola oil in, and the oil immediately burst into flames!  Really gotta watch the heat with this one!  Of course, the flame is adjustable and I just had it up too darn high.  (I want to say this burner can max out at 80,000 BTU, but I've slept since reading the specs on it, so don't hold me to that.)  I really like this cooker because the legs are adjustable for heighth and of course it can be used for boiling peanuts, frying turkeys, etc.

This is the under side of the smaller disco.  There's a couple of cool things about this.  There's the flat bottom so you can use it on a stove top or a coleman stove and you can screw legs into it like this and use it over a camp fire or rake coals from a camp fire under it.

The smaller disco is or was made by Bayou Classic.  Unfortunately, I think they've quit making it since I couldn't find it on line anymore.  I'm pretty sure the large disco is from southwest disc.  I wish I had some food pics to show y'all, but I don't:(  The smaller disco is great for car camping, but I sure wouldn't want to backpack it in anywhere.  It weighs 20 pounds.  The larger one weighs about the same.  Maybe a pound or two difference.

I've cooked a lot of great food in both of these discos from bacon and eggs, fried fish, steaks, chops, hash browns, carne asada, stir fry, etc.  You really can cook a raft of food in these things and feed a bunch of folks.

Just a couple more shots.  Obviously the smaller one needs to be reseasoned!  Sounds like I got a little cooking to do this weekend on the disco since the weather here is gonna be crazy with highs in the mid to upper 70's.  That's weird for even down here this time of year.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:11:22 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Discada
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
Neat! Thats the first time I've seen these, but I can imagine all kinds of applications for them.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
Looks like a cowboy version of a Wok. 

I understand the discada originated from plow discs down in Texas and Mexico.  Ought to be pretty good for a variety of grilling.  We used to cook on a Wok quite a bit but for some reason quit using it.  Might have to drag it out.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
I have wanted one of those ever since I first laid eyes on them quite a few years ago.   I've used my wok out on the grill but its just not the same.. LOL   

Please take pictures this weekend... make us drooool... :)

Ya know.. my neighbor farmer has been looking for something to do since he sold out his milk cows.. mmm...  and I KNOW he welds...     **thinking hard now**

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »
Had to make the trip to Atlanta this weekend to see the MIL who is in assisted living down there (she's fine and I love her to death so that's the important thing) so this is not really what I wanted to show y'all and, I doubt it'll make you drool, WW, but hopefully everyone will get the idea.  When we got home, I asked the SO if she wanted breakfast for supper and she was fine with that so I thought, what better to reseason the little discada with than bacon fat?

In goes the bacon.

When it's nearly done, it gets moved to the edge and in go the 'taters and onions for hash browns.

When they're done they get moved out toward the edge and in go the beaten eggs for scrambled eggs.

And there we have supper.  Scrambled cheese eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon.  (The American cheese goes in the eggs right after the preceding pic.  You want the cheese to end up all melted throughout the scrambled eggs.)

This smaller disco cooks just a little differently than the big one since it's cast iron.  When you move stuff to the edge on this one, it'll continue to cook although much more slowly.  When you move stuff to the edge on the big forged steel disco the stuff just stays nice and hot since the forged steel doesn't transfer and hold the heat like the cast iron does.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
Thats drool causing visions right there..      I SO NEED one of those..      Thank you so much for sharing the pictures.     

I do have a turkey fryer burner, so now I just need to get me one of those discada's.   

I wish I knew how to weld..  have an old farm disc down there in the woods.. I could snitch a few off there and make my own. 

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »
Cool stuff!  gotta find me one of those!
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Any farm implement dealer in your area should have stacks of them back in their iron piles.  Spring and Fall are the times to check, before the scrap buyers haul them off.  They're not hard to find and the dealer will probably just look at you funny :P and give you one 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
Looks awesome! :drool:

And, you have what looks like an awesome gas range there! I am definitely going to convert to gas when it comes time to get a new range.

Offline murphy

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
I built one out of a plow blade awhile back but left it behind when I moved to New Mexico.  I took an old truck rim, cut out the middle and welded a grate on one side.  Then I welded legs to the rim.  I would build a good fire inside and let it burn down to coals and then set the disco on top of that.  I cooked all sorts of stuff on that thing.

I've got a couple disc blades in the back of my pickup right now waiting for me to have the time to build them.

Murph

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
Looks awesome! :drool:

And, you have what looks like an awesome gas range there! I am definitely going to convert to gas when it comes time to get a new range.

Thanks, PW, but it's a gas cooktop.  There's a wall oven over my left shoulder from where I was taking the pics.  The first change I made when I moved in this house 6 1/2 years ago was ditch the electric cooktop for gas. (Propane in my case.......no natural gas lines in this area.)  Unfortunately I chose one with a glass base under the burners.  I'll never ever ever make that mistake again!  You cannot keep that stuff clean.  Or maybe I just can't.  You'd think I woulda known that from the smooth top stove in my previous house.  The stainless steel takes some effort to keep clean, but it's no where near as bad as glass.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:28:36 PM by imnukensc »