Author Topic: Backpacking cooking aids  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Backpacking cooking aids
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

As some of you know by now I'm pretty much the traditionalist,  I'm not generally turned on by Titainium, or by the more modern kettles, pots, and cook kits,  vinyl cups and utensils do nothing for me,  and what twisted mind designed a spoon with teeth and a fork with quarter inch long tines and called it a spork ?

Ok, Ok, I'm sorry if I offended anyone,  mostly I'm just kidding anyway,  what ever you like or that works for you is fine and i'm happy for you.

But for you folks who might be of a more traditional bent,  who enjoy cast iron,  sheet steel, wrought iron, small fire irons, roasting forks, grills, and folding trivets,  and tin pots and corn boilers in the sizes that are designed for backpacking.
  There are some great resources available to get them,  one such resource is Dixie Gun Works of Union City TN.,  their catalog is priced at $5.00,  it's a great book with a lot of reference material and history, it's also a good place to get knives, hawks, small hand forged belt axes, knife blanks,  handle materials, and knife making stuff,  as well as camp gear.
  I'm not sure but you might even be able to view it and shop on line.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Backpacking cooking aids
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
...  and what twisted mind designed a spoon with teeth and a fork with quarter inch long tines and called it a spork ?...
ROFLAO! I hate sporks! The last time I was in Costco, the gals handing out sample foods were using plastic sporks. I had everyone within 10 feet cracking up as I went off on a tirade about the  spork being invented by a surgeon who designed it for performing tonsillectomies!
I found that if I wanted to puncture my tongue, it was easier to just stab myself with my knife!

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
...  and what twisted mind designed a spoon with teeth and a fork with quarter inch long tines and called it a spork ?...
ROFLAO! I hate sporks! The last time I was in Costco, the gals handing out sample foods were using plastic sporks. I had everyone within 10 feet cracking up as I went off on a tirade about the  spork being invented by a surgeon who designed it for performing tonsillectomies!
I found that if I wanted to puncture my tongue, it was easier to just stab myself with my knife!

Great minds,  or is it birds of a feather ???

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »
I dont like sporks either.   Gave myself a good poke in the lip and that was the end of that spork.

Thanks for the heads up on the reference of Dixie Gun Works.   I"ll see if I can check it out.

All hail Wooden Spoons....

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »

That's funny,  being old and being comfortable with it does have it's advantages,  I been kidded more than once by members of the younger generation when they see me eating with a three tined bone handled fork and a early 1900's table knife,  especially when I eat off my knife and use my fork just to hold meat.
  They'll ask "why the hell are you using that old knife",  I tell 'em "'cause the newer ones are too narrow to hold my peas",  that usually gets a giggle.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

That's funny,  being old and being comfortable with it does have it's advantages,  ...
I thought you were going somewhere else with that lead in. The one thing I like about getting older is that now I'm view as 'eccentric' and not just a raving a**h***.  <grin>  I also went from being a stubborn jerk, to being "set in my ways".
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
I dont like sporks either.   Gave myself a good poke in the lip and that was the end of that spork.

Thanks for the heads up on the reference of Dixie Gun Works.   I"ll see if I can check it out.

All hail Wooden Spoons....

WW.

You're welcome,  I understand that getting a kit together is daunting,  first just trying to decide what you'd like,  then there's the expense of acquiring the stuff,  and just when you think you've got it all together someone shows you something that will work better.
  That's one of the reasons I like to adapt stuff I already have, or stuff I can scrounge from home,  or from things I run across in consignment shops or thrift stores,  but sometimes you just have to swallow hard and spend the bucks.
  I have found through my primitive living experience that the traditional stuff is better made and lasts longer than most modern or contemporary gear,  there are exceptions of course like my GI mess kit, canteen cup, Alice pack and a few other things,  my ferro rod and Dones mag. bar beat the crap out of my flint and steel for instance.
  Part of my cook kit includes my GI mess kit,  a 32 ounce "tin" mug from Dixie that I found an old copper lid for at Sally's,  a Grizwold cast iron 6" frying pan that was made in the late 1800's,  and an old tin lunch pail and lid from the same era I found in a junk shop,  I put a bail on it and it makes a great light weight med. sized pot.

I think i'm rambling again,  sorry, I just love talking about this stuff.

Moe   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »

That's funny,  being old and being comfortable with it does have it's advantages,  ...
I thought you were going somewhere else with that lead in. The one thing I like about getting older is that now I'm view as 'eccentric' and not just a raving a**h***.  <grin>  I also went from being a stubborn jerk, to being "set in my ways".

There ya go,  more benefits of having grey hair.

The women used to call me a dirty old man,  now I'm just 'Cute'.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
I agree with Moe (duh..what else is new?) about 'scrounging' gear when first starting out.
Over the years, many pots and pans made their way from our own kitchen into the chuck box. I recently scored a very nice stainless steel sauce pan w/lid at a yard sale for about $1.50. My first 'backpacking' fire grate was from an abandoned oven, which I cut down with a hacksaw. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 02:52:26 PM »
The spork  to me I always  thought was  one of the stupidest things ever invented. I loath  that  thing LOL  would rather stab a piece of food  with my knife  first before using a spork to eat with lol
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »

Only my beard is gray, thank you!
And I thought it went "ladies' man > lecher > dirty ol' man > dreamer".  ;D   Cute? You're in trouble.

Back to the spork! Ever try to get that last little bit of goodness out of a cup/bowl with a spork? Doesn't matter if it's soup, or ice cream, it ain't gonna happen!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

Only my beard is gray, thank you!
And I thought it went "ladies' man > lecher > dirty ol' man > dreamer".  ;D   Cute? You're in trouble.

Back to the spork! Ever try to get that last little bit of goodness out of a cup/bowl with a spork? Doesn't matter if it's soup, or ice cream, it ain't gonna happen!

I wouldn't know, never owned one,  I had a friend offer me one once,  I told him that I considered him a good friend,  and if he wanted to keep it that way he could put that thing back in his pocket,  and never speak of it again.

All kidding aside.  I've had this dream that someone sent me one in a swap,  and I went into a panic trying to come to grips with the fact that I could never keep it in the house,  I couldn't in good faith throw it away, and worse, knowing that the only thing I could do is pass it on to some other poor unsuspecting soul.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »
Just use your trusty bushcraft knife to carve the tines off, kinda like paring your fingernails. You'll be good to go! If it's metal, get a file.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:57 PM »
Just use your trusty bushcraft knife to carve the tines off, kinda like paring your fingernails. You'll be good to go! If it's metal, get a file.

Hmmm ya might be on to  something there OP might  be a  good  reason to get a hold of  another Opi  hack the  point off  and cut some tines into it. hobo fork knife?  maybe  just grind the  edge off of it may  need to try this lol
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~