Author Topic: Found another one  (Read 2625 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Found another one
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
I went looking for a cast iron pan I remember seeing a few years ago.  I was feeling around on top of a shelf and here was this guy... whoa.. 

Top one.   Bottom one is the one I found last fall.     No markings that I can tell.   I got a giggle out of how this one was held in place.  *grin*

The handle length of the top one is 16.5 inches and the bottom one is 19 inches.

I know theres more around this farm.  I know I've seen a double bit down there in the barn.   

Anyhow.. just sharing my lil finds.    Now where did I see that cast iron pan.....mmmmmm

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
Re: Found another one
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
Nice score, WW!  It looks like it could be an old Norlund or Collins - very nice.  I especially like the securing method.  It would be a heck of a lot easier to mount like that than to fit it properly.  LOL.  I hope you get around to fixing those things up and re-hanging them.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »
Nice score, WW!  It looks like it could be an old Norlund or Collins - very nice.  I especially like the securing method.  It would be a heck of a lot easier to mount like that than to fit it properly.  LOL.  I hope you get around to fixing those things up and re-hanging them.

On  my limited axe knowledge that was  the  first brand  I thought of

Damn nice score
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
That's a mighty fine hanging job. Very interesting but if you're in a hurry whatever works.  Norlund is my guess too. If so the name is covered by the handle.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
Thanks guys!     
 I had the thing laying here by the puter and my hubby walks by.  " Hey..where did you find my axe at?"...   
   I said .. this is yours?
  " yea..."   
  Did you make it?   " yea"...   
 WHAT were you thinking making this like this?  *pointing at the doohickey holding the head on....

He says.. " I needed an axe... so I whipped one up...."....     
Me: what did you need an axe for at that time? 
He:  I needed to chop at  some sewer pipe....

Ya.. I was laughing....  LOL

I guess he had a box full of axe heads at that time and just grabbed one and grabbed a handle laying around  and made himself something to chop with.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:23:17 AM »
Very cool finds.  I bet they clean up nice. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »
That top one looks like somebody used it as a splitting wedge...a LOT! 
If you and he have a box full of old heads like those laying around, you're sitting on a gold mine these days.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:26:56 AM »
Its really curled on the edges.. *nodding*

I asked hubby if he knew where that box was..and if it moved here with him.  He said he'd have to look in the barn..   and this makes me laugh.

Our barn is a 30 foot long dairy barn... its FULL of stuffs.   Stantions were made into work spaces.. loft up stairs is full.. ( or so they say I wont go up there).   

If I describe something ( cuz I dont know the name most of the time)  Theres usually TWO down ' in the barn'...  lol   

WW.