Author Topic: Back Packs  (Read 15448 times)

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
Back Packs
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
Hey Folks,
                 Was wondering what everybody used as a Backpack. Mine's a Goverment Issue Alice Pack with Frame. Was thinking about possibly upgrading to a better pack. Any Suggestions out there???... :)
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline Zeus

• Administrator
  • Whetstone +
  • Forging Knives on Olympus
Re: Back Packs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »
I have a pile of smaller day packs that I swap around depending on the activity. They range from a 15 year old North Face to a brand new walmart pack. I have an Alice pack and frame as well, and a waterproof pack (meant for boating) that is essentially a roll top dry bag with shoulder straps.

I guess which one I bring depends on where I'm going, what I'll be doing, and what the weather is like. Most of the time I am out on my ATV so I just toss a pack full of supplies in the back and weight doesn't matter as much.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:06:28 PM »
I also had the Alice, but my surgeon switched me over to the Molle II Ruck.  His son had one and he was impressed with the fit, so that's what I've got now.  The waist belt supports much more of the pack weight than the Alice.  I've not used it much yet.  I did get the 3-day assault pack that goes with it and have had it out on hikes for therapy.  I really like it for smaller needs, fits well and very sturdy.  If you look at them, many are listed without the foam pad or stiffener. 

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
I really like the Blackhawk! Cyclone for a daypack. I did a review a short while ago.

A couple of years ago I replaced my tired, broken, old military CFP-90 with a Arcteryx Bora 80. It's a beast of a pack but still seems to have less capacity than the CFP-90. I use it for long trips and will use it when/if I camp in the cold again. It is surprisingly comfortable.

Last fall I decided I decent midsized pack so I picked up a Kelty Redwing. It seems well made and holds what I need for an overnighter or for a weekend. Haven't used it much yet unfortunately.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »
this is the closest thing i can find to my pack. this is a newer model of what i have. its HUGE, and carries very well for me. i can comfortably hump around 80lbs in it. the tag says Bug Out Gear, but there is no other name or tag on it.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 06:30:40 AM »
I have two Alice packs, two day packs and a 3 day pack. I have a gas mask bag that I carry down to the pond and around the property. Those canvas surplus bags can be had for cheap and they are really handy. Some of the fun is adding extra pounches to them.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:49:43 AM »
Excellent Guys!!! :)
                          I was Kind of thinking along the lines of a Maxpedition Falcon, and Voodoo Tactical has one out thats Close to the same but a little less money. Of course there is Blackhawk Stuff out there as well. I'm going over to the Army/Navy store today to check some out, but not Purchasing anything today. Lot's of gear out there for sure, and I've always been thinking of a Dry Pack like Zeus was talking about. 8) :) 8)

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Went to the Store. Looks like $150.00 will get me a Darn Nice pack, now to just decide on which one! :)

Offline Great White Hunter

• Mill File
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
I like to use a maxpedition condor II 4 my airsoft rig but it doubles as my bug out bag to

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
They had Several Maxpedition Packs at the Store, and all of them Nice. Will go back in awhile and pick one out. Til then, I'll be using the Alice Pack & Frame combo. :)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 04:19:53 AM »
I use a number of different packs, my latest buy was the surplus British Army Bergen http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/topic,56.0.html, which is a beast of a pack.

The side pockets fix to the yoke thats pictured either on their own or as a pair to make a small 10 or 20 litre day sack, very comfortbale as well.

I also have two Karrimor Sabres, one is the Sabre 75 (75 Litres) which is a superb pack and expandable as it uses the PLCE side pockets, which expands the capacity to 95 Litres, the other Karrimor pack i use is the Sabre 45 (45 Litres) again expandable by adding the PLCE side pockets which adds another 20 litres of space, i use the 75 for winter trips when i carrying a big sleeping bag and for summer trips with the two boys, summer trips on my own i use the 45.

Sabre 45 without side pockets added

Sabre 45 load carry capacity, this log went inside that pack with room to spare, the knife is a Mora 511 and is shown for scale.

The 45 is also used as a big day pack, particularly in winter time when i want to carry extra clothing with me

My main day to day pack for going on bimbles and day trips to the woods is the Highlander Forces 33

again a superb pack, but not many options to expand it, but there again i don't really need to as it's a day pack, i had the smaller Forces 25, but it was too small for my back, so i gave it to youngest to replace his day pack, more info on the 33 here http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/12/highlander-forces-33-day-pack.html

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
My regular use pack is a High Sierra pack.  I have no complaints at all with it.  The one pictured below is my spare (haven't even taken the tags off this one yet).  I find it roomy, very comfortable to wear and enough exterior pockets etc to stow gear away and not have to enter the main pack.  I, also, like the top flap because it is a large pocket.  I carry my 1st aid kit in this pocket.

That being said, I really would like to get a Maxped Condor 2.  I really like this pack but can't spare the money for another pack when I have 2 that are more than adequate and in great shape.

Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
I'm fairly simple. In fact, I'm trying to "gear" myself with the idea that most of what I carry is going to be heirloom quality. That doesn't mean the stuff is expensive, it just means it'll last until I pass into God's country as long as I treat it good and right. Also, I don't go out for more than a night or two, so I don't need a huge pack.

My pack is a Frost River Summit - Not the Expedition, this one:

The fun part is getting your gear whittled down to what you think is absolutely necessary and FUN for an overnight, and then keeping the weight down as well.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »
I, too, have a Blackhawk Cyclone that I've been using for a year.  It's built very well.  Just the right capacity for a day/overnighter pack down here in our relatively mild FL climate. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Noisemaker

• Mill File+
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »
I recently came into a Duluth Bushcrafter and have been loving it. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
I recently came into a Duluth Bushcrafter and have been loving it.

I've seen those duluth packs in pictures and they look really nice.

Offline Noisemaker

• Mill File+
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 07:55:20 AM »
I am really enjoying it.  It fits great, seems like it will be passed down to my grandkids and can work for an overnight to a week trip pretty easy.  I just started moving away from military surplus to more traditional looking gear.  I like the aesthetics of it, but I still have a mix of Military/Lightweight/modern/traditional in my kit.  Its working for me and I guess I have not felt the need to stay with just one genre.

Offline Woodsbilly

• Mill File+
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
After starting with the Alice, I've tried a lot of packs trying to find the "one". Guess what? I'm back to square one with old Alice.

For my shorter day trips if I'm not using my canvas haversack, the Maxpediton Pygmy Falcon is my go to.

Haversack

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
Hey Folks,
                 Was wondering what everybody used as a Backpack. Mine's a Goverment Issue Alice Pack with Frame. Was thinking about possibly upgrading to a better pack. Any Suggestions out there???... :)

One of the worst things a body can do is try to talk a grown man out of spending his hard earned money when he's made up his mind on a new toy,  and I'm not going to try now.

But I can recount where I'm at with my choice of packs,  when I was hunting the big woods I humped a day pack,  not needing an overnight kit, my old boy scout pack did the trick,  then I went period trekking and ended up making my Rev. War era shoulder ruck bag,  but that was too small for all the modern stuff a "Bushcrafter" needs to carry,  so I dug out my old large Alice,  It worked but was a bit too big for my needs,  so next I picked up a Marmot pack at Dick's sporting,  that thing has more storage compartments than my wife's Volvo Wagon,  trouble is all those compartments and padding take up much of the room,  and it didn't have a hip belt.
  So I moved up to a NorthFace,  It fit great all stuffed with paper in the store,  but when I got it packed up It just didn't hang right on my six foot 250 pound frame,  no matter how I packed it,  it wasn't comfortable,  then I found a Medium Alice that some good soul gave me hiding in my camping stuff,  and It's been my main pack ever since,  it was well used and has since been passed on to someone else and replaced with a new Med. Alice.
  My large Alice has been turned into one of my go-Bags,  same with the NorthFace, my Marmot is doing duty as a good day pack,  my Medium Alice is my Official Bushcraft bag,  and will be for as long as I am able to still hump it.

Now I know that we ain't all built the same,  and some folks just plain don't cotton to OD Green or Woodland Camo,  and that's Ok,  and some others just feel better about having high end name brand gear,  again that's OK, but for me,  the old girl is just what I'd been looking for,  and I had it all the time,  just one of them forest for the trees things I guess. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »
My hiking pack when I intend to cover miles over several days is a Go-light lightspeed, its light, carries super comfortably and has been reasonably durable.  I keep coming back to it.

I have a maxipad Falcon II (intentional typo) that I've been using for day hikes and several hundred (not a typo) Alice packs to choose from as the spirit moves me as well as a varying assortment of other military surplus bags.

For car camping or shorter hikes Alice in many incarnations serves me well, is simply unkillable and you can hang gear on it and under it and slide an axe behind the rear pockets, just a really flexible platform that has stood the test of time. 
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
My hiking pack when I intend to cover miles over several days is a Go-light lightspeed, its light, carries super comfortably and has been reasonably durable.  I keep coming back to it.

I have a maxipad Falcon II (intentional typo) that I've been using for day hikes and several hundred (not a typo) Alice packs to choose from as the spirit moves me as well as a varying assortment of other military surplus bags.

For car camping or shorter hikes Alice in many incarnations serves me well, is simply unkillable and you can hang gear on it and under it and slide an axe behind the rear pockets, just a really flexible platform that has stood the test of time.

I am so tempted to try an Alice again, but.. The frame bugs me. Worse yet, the one I had (was a large and too large) was really poorly put together. I was kinda bummed.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »

I am so tempted to try an Alice again, but.. The frame bugs me. Worse yet, the one I had (was a large and too large) was really poorly put together. I was kinda bummed.

Alice just isn't going to suit everybody but there are things you can do to improve it, first and easiest to add a molle waist pad instead of the standard kidney pad.  I also added a lumbar pad to one of my Alices from a CFP-90 that keeps the frame away from my back and helps transfer the load to my hips.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
Is the medium comfortable without the frame?

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »
Like any other frameless pack it really depends on how you load it and being careful not to overload it.  For me, if I keep it under 20 lbs it carries just fine. 

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »
I really like the Blackhawk! Cyclone for a daypack. I did a review a short while ago.

A couple of years ago I replaced my tired, broken, old Mmilitary CFP-90 with a Arcteryx Bora 80. It's a beast of a pack but still seems to have less capacity than the CFP-90. I use it for long trips and will use it when/if I camp in the cold again. It is surprisingly comfortable.

Last fall I decided I decent midsized pack so I picked up a Kelty Redwing. It seems well made and holds what I need for an overnighter or for a weekend. Haven't used it much yet unfortunately.

Gurthy, how did you like your CFP-90? I am thinking about picking up one of these from eBay. For the price it seems hard to beat. I have looked at the molle patrol packs and was thinking about getting one of them until I saw the CFP-90. I don't care for the Alice packs without a frame and I don't like the older metal frames. I currently have been using an assault pack without a frame and they can get over loaded quick.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »

A couple of years ago I replaced my tired, broken, old Mmilitary CFP-90 with a Arcteryx Bora 80. It's a beast of a pack but still seems to have less capacity than the CFP-90. I use it for long trips and will use it when/if I camp in the cold again. It is surprisingly comfortable.

Gurthy, how did you like your CFP-90? I am thinking about picking up one of these from eBay. For the price it seems hard to beat. I have looked at the molle patrol packs and was thinking about getting one of them until I saw the CFP-90. I don't care for the Alice packs without a frame and I don't like the older metal frames. I currently have been using an assault pack without a frame and they can get over loaded quick.

Be careful of buying a CFP-90 without examining it first.  Take a close look at the yolk that holds the straps on (the black circular plastic thing that allow you to adjust the height of the straps).  It's the weak point of the design.  If there is any sign of cracking or the two screws that hold it to to the frame are stripped, take a pass on it.  It will fail on you.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »

Be careful of buying a CFP-90 without examining it first.  Take a close look at the yolk that holds the straps on (the black circular plastic thing that allow you to adjust the height of the straps).  It's the weak point of the design.  If there is any sign of cracking or the two screws that hold it to to the frame are stripped, take a pass on it.  It will fail on you.

I really liked it actually. There are haters out there but when I was in the military I definitely preferred it over the ALICE (blasphemy, I know). I thought it carried and jumped better than the ALICE and the capacity was needed for the job I was doing at the time (LRS). I used it for many years and shlepped it over many, many miles.

Like Wilderbeast said, check it out closely before buying. Besides the plastic triangle yoke be sure to check for 2 other things:
1) make suer it isn't a knockoff... there are plenty floating around and the quality on those is meh
2) if buying used also check the lifter/stabilizer straps at the top of the shoulder straps...that's where mine eventually failed.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
Thanks for the info wilderbeast, I'm going to ask some more questions to the seller.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
Thanks Gurthy for your opinion and the other items to check.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

I have two med. Alice packs,  one has a frame and is my go to overnight bag,  if I go minimalist I use the other which has no frame,  if it's packed right it's pretty comfortable,  the thing about unpadded nylon packs is you feel all the hard stuff digging into you after a short while on the trail as everything settles in the pack.
 How I get around that is to use my sleeping pad or light sleeping bag,  even a reusable emergency blanket will work,  I fold it so that it fits in the pack on the width,  then wrap it around the inside of the pack like a liner,  then I put the rest of my stuff in in the usual manner,  placing any clothing against the back of the pact that will be against your back,  the "liner" helps to keep a buffer between you and the hard stuff in your pack.
  replacing the Alice straps and hip belt with Molly straps and belt help also,  a good place to get that stuff and the packs is from Wildernut on the BCUSA forum,  he's good people,  has good stuff and treats you right.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

I have two med. Alice packs,  one has a frame and is my go to overnight bag,  if I go minimalist I use the other which has no frame,  if it's packed right it's pretty comfortable,  the thing about unpadded nylon packs is you feel all the hard stuff digging into you after a short while on the trail as everything settles in the pack.
 How I get around that is to use my sleeping pad or light sleeping bag,  even a reusable emergency blanket will work,  I fold it so that it fits in the pack on the width,  then wrap it around the inside of the pack like a liner,  then I put the rest of my stuff in in the usual manner,  placing any clothing against the back of the pact that will be against your back,  the "liner" helps to keep a buffer between you and the hard stuff in your pack.
  replacing the Alice straps and hip belt with Molly straps and belt help also,  a good place to get that stuff and the packs is from Wildernut on the BCUSA forum,  he's good people,  has good stuff and treats you right.

That guy wilderbeast on this forum is every bit as good  ;D.  Thanks for the kind words Moe.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »

That guy wilderbeast on this forum is every bit as good  ;D.  Thanks for the kind words Moe.

Is my face red.......grin.

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »
i have an old govt issued alice pack as well, without the frame.
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
Here's my new to me  pack :D

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:04 PM »
A few years ago I was feeling the need for an upgrade so I got a Blackhawk SOF Ruck Kit. These things are ridiculously overpriced but being thrifty I got mine on sale for $225. I would never pay $383.99 like Blackhawk wants now. This is my take everything but the kitchen sink bag. It is built good and I have always loved the ALICE packs. I like the ALICE clips for the option of making other things like fishhooks, gigs, etc. I always carry about 10 extra clips on my bag. The one thing I modified was the quick release buckle. Those plastic buckles can't handle heavy weight and will slowly loosen up while hiking and you will have to pull them tight every so often which is annoying. I took the old metal quick releases off an old ALICE pack and put them on. I used a CFP 90 for years before that and I still love that one. I loaded the crap out of it and never had problems. For the money I would stick with a large ALICE pack and send it in to Tactical Tailor for mods and you would get just as good of a pack for a fraction of the price. I have a large ALICE and love it too.

"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:21 AM »
That is a great looking BB.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
That is a great looking BB.
Thanks
It's pretty  comfy to  specially considering I had it on a few times riding guessing with about  20 pounds worth of crap in it LOL.
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
I'm fairly simple. In fact, I'm trying to "gear" myself with the idea that most of what I carry is going to be heirloom quality. That doesn't mean the stuff is expensive, it just means it'll last until I pass into God's country as long as I treat it good and right. Also, I don't go out for more than a night or two, so I don't need a huge pack.

My pack is a Frost River Summit - Not the Expedition, this one:

The fun part is getting your gear whittled down to what you think is absolutely necessary and FUN for an overnight, and then keeping the weight down as well.

really love that pack though out of my price range at the moment

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »
Well I am still on the hunt for a backpack also but this one is moving to the top of the list. The price seems very cheap for this pack. 4000 cubic inches for $130 and did I mention Kelty. It does look a little military thou with the pals straps all over the place.

http://www.botachtactical.com/kefa40taba.html