Author Topic: ICE fishing PICS :)  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
ICE fishing PICS :)
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
Apparently i can't change the title.
I meant... ICE FISHING PICS... damn you tapatalk and auto spell check.

Here are a few pics from a little ice fishing trip that me and a couple of my buddies took yesterday.
Nothing special really, but I just thought I would share :)

In the first pic here, look just to the right of the main peak, you'll see another smaller one. A few years ago my wife and I climbed that one with full packs, waders, belly boat, and flippers. There is a huge alpine lake in a bowl behind the main peak that you see. We didn't make it because there was still too much snow on the back side and there are small glaciers as well. We didn't have the time or an extra day to climb all the way down into the valley on the other side and back up another bush whacking route up to the lake, so we stayed the night on top and came back down the next morning and went to another lake close by.
We're going to make it to that lake one of these days ;)

The mountains you see are the 'Seeley-Swan Range'.  The ridge is the western boundary to the Bob Marshall Wilderness. My wife and I have made many trips into 'The Bob'.
It's actually where we spent our honeymoon :)

Here's one of my buddies in the background.

Here's the guy that caught all the fish... 3 total. 2 westslope cutthroats and 1 bull trout. My other buddy and I got skunked :(

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:27:01 PM by Bearhunter »
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: ICE fishing PICS :)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
I fixed the title for you. 

Beautiful pictures.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
I've fishing PICS :)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
I fixed the title for you. 

Beautiful pictures.
Thank you :)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Sorry double post ???

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=george+lake+montana&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#miuv=0

This is a pic I found of the lake that is on the other side of the peak.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:51:43 PM »
Looks like a fun trip, Bearhunter....and GREAT pics!  I 'clicked' on IMAGES at the top of one of those links that you provided and this picture of George, and the appropriately named Stingray Lake, came up in the photos.....

http://www.lurvely.com/photo/1212119422/Stingray_Lake_foreground_and_George_Lake/

About as close to the shape of a stingray as you can find in Montana, I'll wager  ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
**sigh**  I'm missing that sport a lot this winter. 

Now I gotta ask for details :)   How thick was the ice?   What kind of jigs do you use for trout? Do you bait the jigs?  Here we try to find weedlines..do you have to do the same for trout fishing?   How deep is the water ?

And that is some gorgeous scenery you have there... wow.   It looked like a beautiful day for fishin.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
**sigh**  I'm missing that sport a lot this winter. 

Now I gotta ask for details :)   How thick was the ice?   What kind of jigs do you use for trout? Do you bait the jigs?  Here we try to find weedlines..do you have to do the same for trout fishing?   How deep is the water ?

And that is some gorgeous scenery you have there... wow.   It looked like a beautiful day for fishin.

WW.
The ice was only about 8-10" thick.
Yesterday we were using little yellow and pink tube skirt jigs tipped with maggots.
Yes, we fish the weed lines. I've camped and fished that lake dozens of times with a canoe, so I know/we know the lake pretty good.
The area we were fishing was around 8' deep.

Thanks WW... It was a beautiful day to be out :)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
Thanks Bear. :)     I'm going to sneak in a picture of the big lake we used to fish on.  Its Lake Minnewaska and its like the whole town of Glenwood just shifts over on to the ice.   Its a 7 mile long lake , but the pix is just of the Glenwood side and facing across the lake.    It does help to fish on a lake your familiar with weed lines and drop offs in the winter time.

When I took this pix the ice was at 14 inches.   And the newspaper reports over 2500 houses on the ice this year.
WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Thanks Bear. :)     I'm going to sneak in a picture of the big lake we used to fish on.  Its Lake Minnewaska and its like the whole town of Glenwood just shifts over on to the ice.   Its a 7 mile long lake , but the pix is just of the Glenwood side and facing across the lake.    It does help to fish on a lake your familiar with weed lines and drop offs in the winter time.

When I took this pix the ice was at 14 inches.   And the newspaper reports over 2500 houses on the ice this year.
WW.

2500 fishing huts YIKES! thats half the population of the town i live in ???

Nice pics BH thanx for sharin
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
.....and it's 2 1/2 times the size of the town I live in :tent:

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
Cool pics from both of you Bear Hunter & WW. Thanks for sharing.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 07:16:23 PM »
I'd love to be able to do a vendor type set up out there..   Like a hot soup/sandwich type thing. 

When we had our fishhouse out there.. I'd get fisherman stopping by to see wht I'm cookin on the stove inside ours.  The smell of frying fish reeled them in ...LOL    That and the bbq'd ribs...

The bad thing about all those houses out there is the crap in the water when the ice-out happens.  Unbelievable on how folks just think dumping something down the hole makes it 'go away'... sad.

WW.

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=george+lake+montana&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#miuv=0

I love fishing the high lakes. Wish I had more time to do it these days!
George Lake looks awesome!  Hope you get there this year.

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »

I love fishing the high lakes. Wish I had more time to do it these days!
George Lake looks awesome!  Hope you get there this year.

Thanks OP :)

Yeah, it sure seems like we don't have or don't take the time to get up to those alpine lakes like we use to either :(

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »
Are there fish in those lakes naturally or are they stocked?  And what fish species are in those lakes up there?

That is one gorgeous picture... wow.   

WW.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »
Are there fish in those lakes naturally or are they stocked?  And what fish species are in those lakes up there?

That is one gorgeous picture... wow.   

WW.
Most of those high alpine lakes are/were stocked WW.
Some have the right habitat to sustain a breeding population, most don't.
I think there are only 4 lakes in the whole Bob Marshall Complex that actually have a true native, natural population.
Most of the rivers however do. The only truly native fish in those are the Bull Trout, Westslope Cutthrout and mountain whitefish. There are also some native Arctic Grayling in spots.   

Most of the alpine lakes are stocked with Cutthrout trout. They bring them in on horseback.
Some of those lakes produce some truly large trout... And they LOVE to bite ;)

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 01:47:46 AM »
In 2012, George Lake (the one in the picture above) received a plant of 500  2" cutthroat trout raised at the Washoe hatchery. They, like many others, were planted by air. They transport them in water containers similar to the type used to fight forest fires, and release them from helicopters.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=57163

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »
That's GORGE LAKE OP... Not George Lake.
The wilderness lakes are stocked by horseback. Aircraft aren't allowed to fly in designated wilderness areas, with the exceptions for search & rescue and fire.

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
That's GORGE LAKE OP... Not George Lake.
The wilderness lakes are stocked by horseback. Aircraft aren't allowed to fly in designated wilderness areas, with the exceptions for search & rescue and fire.
That was a typo on my part.
From that .pdf I linked, on the restocking plans for 2012, this is what it says:

Gorge Lake 3 18 02-7915 2 500 0 0 0 500 0 N 1 01 Air Plant
Gorge Lake 3 18 02-7916 2 500 0 0 0 500 0 N 1 01 Air Plant

After the dashed code number, the "2" means 2" fingerlings. The "500" is the number of fish planted, and the "air plant" means the fish were helicoptered in.  From what I gather, the horse packing restocking is rarely used now due to the high mortality of the plants from all the bouncing around, and length of time it took.
From the schedule table, it looks like I was wrong about the number. It was a total of 1,000 2" fingerlings.
As we both know, "restrictions" (air space) don't apply to the gov't itself.  :P The choppers never land, so they aren't cluttering up the landscape, I guess.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »
http://fwpiis.mt.gov/dotNetApps/MFISH/Reports.aspx?LLID=1134834473736&begmeas=0&endmeas=1
Yeah, gotcha! Like I said, it was a typo on my part about Gorge Lake. But the planting info (above) is for GORGE LAKE.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
Date Location TRS Number of Fish Avg. Length(in.) Hatchery
8/8/2012      36,000  1  FLATHEAD LAKE SALMON HATCHERY 
8/9/2011      36,000  2  FLATHEAD LAKE SALMON HATCHERY 
8/16/2010   19N15W26   11,000  2  FLATHEAD LAKE SALMON HATCHERY 
8/8/2009   19N15W26   30,000  2  FLATHEAD LAKE SALMON HATCHERY 

This is for George Lake

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
George Lake 1 04 08-8620 2 36,000 36,000 36,000 36,000 36,000 36,000 N 3 01 Helicopter Plant, Rehab 2016

That's a crock of $hi+. They shouldn't be stocking those lakes via aircraft :(

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »

That's a crock of $hi . They shouldn't be stocking those lakes via aircraft :(
Well, like you said 'way back, a few of them might hold a breeding population of whitefish, or grayling if they're lucky. I know there are some brookies in a few high lakes. But if you're going to promote recreation, planting alpine lakes is the only way to attract fishermen. That's why you find Rainbows in Idaho lakes at 7,000 feet elevation. No other way for them to get there than planting.
The air plants are the most efficient way to insure you don't loose 80% of your fingerlings in transport. With what it costs (the taxpayers) to raise one trout to 2"-6" size, the hatchery guys treat 'em like gold!
Tipsoo Lake at the summit of Chinook Pass in WA has been an experimental lake for many decades. No fishing allowed, and there are some 15 pound Rainbows in it. They survive 10' of ice in the winter.

I got involved with a study of the limnology of Mowich Lake on the slopes of Mt. Rainier. They had a creel count survey in force there. The typical report read something like "4 fishermen fished for 2 days caught 2 fish 8" long".
This had the Fisheries guys baffled, because they were dumping 10,000 fingerlings a year into that lake, and nothing was coming out.
The biologists were trying to use gill nets to take a census of the lake, but that was a joke with a 50' net only going down 10'-15' in the water. My buddy and I agreed to do a high altitude SCUBA dive there, to get a visual on whatever we could find.
At a depth of about 80 feet, I had an eye one my partner off to my right. Then he was off to my left. WTH? I looked again, and there was a huge fish moving like a zeppelin out of the depths. I watched an 18" rainbow in it's path. The big fish literally inhaled that 18" trout!
When we got back, the biologists pulled up the planting records for the lake. This was 1970. The records showed that back in 1964 they had planted 500 12" Brown Trout in the lake. They had essentially been force-feeding these predators for 16 years!  The guys then got out their charts, and calculated the potential growth (salmonoids are indeterminate growers) of a 12" fish over 16 years. They calculated some of these trout could be 45" long, and weigh about 35-40 pounds. That matched almost exactly what I'd observed.
Needless to say, every time I fished that lake after that, I was out with my kayak with 12" Dick Knight spoon trolling in 80 feet of water, rather than soaking flies along the shore.  :P  Never did sucker one into biting, though.  :'(

Offline NMTracker

• Whetstone +
    • NatRevGA
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
That's something I've always wanted to do, but never been somewhere cold enough to try it. And this is yet another outdoor activity that brings Patrick Mcmanus' writings to mind :D

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
Wow... That's a crazy story OP :D

I was wrong about the number of lakes in 'The Bob' that have native fish...

From 'THE MONTANAN'S FISHING GUIDE'.

Referring to the South Fork drainage...

"Only two lakes, Big Salmon and Doctor, are believed to have endemic fish populations"

Pat Van Eimeran
Fisheries Biologist
Flathead National Forest

I haven't read that in a couple of years, for some reason I thought that there were a couple of more ???
The only native fish to the SF river are bull, CT trout and mountain whitefish.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
Sorry double post...
This tapacrap is pissing me off :mad:

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 04:37:53 PM »
I can remember when a person could walk across the White River in WA on the backs of bull trout. We called them Dolly Varden. Now they are more protected in WA than they are in MT, and that's saying something. Only 2 places you can legally catch them in the Western Region, IIRC.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
I can remember when a person could walk across the White River in WA on the backs of bull trout. We called them Dolly Varden. Now they are more protected in WA than they are in MT, and that's saying something. Only 2 places you can legally catch them in the Western Region, IIRC.

I always called them Dollies, when did they become bulls?   I'm old ???

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »

I always called them Dollies, when did they become bulls?   I'm old ???
They became Bull Trout when the next to the last crop of biology class college graduates came out West, and thought Dolly might get upset if she was named after a trout.  :P   (See thread on PC)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
I know that you can keep one Bull trout per day in Swan Lake.
There are still quite a few places that you can catch Bulls 'without trying'.
I actually talked to a fellow last summer while I was fishing a remote lake up in the Seeley-Swan... He was complaining about how that there were so many BT in the Swan river that they had "ruined" the fishery :shrug:
He wasn't very happy about it!
We use to catch quite a few over in Rock Creek (Clark Fork drainage). 
We also catch some in certain lakes from time to time.   

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
I know that you can keep one Bull trout per day in Swan Lake.
There are still quite a few places that you can catch Bulls 'without trying'.
I actually talked to a fellow last summer while I was fishing a remote lake up in the Seeley-Swan... He was complaining about how that there were so many BT in the Swan river that they had "ruined" the fishery :shrug:
He wasn't very happy about it!
We use to catch quite a few over in Rock Creek (Clark Fork drainage). 
We also catch some in certain lakes from time to time.
Up until last year, you could keep Bulls from Lake Koocanusa. Unless I'm reading something wrong, last year it was catch-n-release only. I know....they're everywhere. I've had to shake 5-6 pounders off my line in the Tobacco. The FWP has no sense of humor, though, if you're found with one.  It's probably why "shore lunches" are so popular in W. Montana.  ;D

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
A couple of my friends and I are going ice fishing again today.
Wish me luck :P