Author Topic: schrade extreme survival...  (Read 3953 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
schrade extreme survival...
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
I put a schrade extreme survival schf9 in my cart on amazon $40.99. They were sold out. I got a notice a few days ago it would arrive between the 25th and 28th. I got it today the 25th.

Out of the box it is not shaving sharp but will slice paper nicely for a thick blade. Nice and thick and fits my hand well. It has a perfect edge from hilt to point and. The scales are removable but offer a good grip and comfortable to my messed up hand, I'll keep them.

The sheath is really cool. I like the little pouch is removable and it can be worn horizontal or verticle. The belt loop is velcro and can be put on or taken off without undoing your belt. NICE!!

I will add pics of this getting beat hard and put away wet. Have a few pics...5MP still blurry on Samsung galaxy nexus s1, Sorry. I reread this but am too tired to correct it. been up for 32 hours. good night.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: schrade extreme survival...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
Schrade (Taylor Brands) have been turning out some decent fixed blades lately. They are not U.S. made anymore, but some of their knives are pretty nice deals.

Looking forward to your thoughts after you get a chance to use it some. Thanks for posting!

Forgot to ask, how do you like the finger grooves? That was the one thing that caused me to pass on that knife.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »
The finger grooves on the grip are fantastic for bigger hands. The one on the blade is a little sharp as the steel is square. I think I'll round it a little.

The angle of the hilt is perfect for choking up on it. There is a little discomfort in the top thumb grip in this hand position. I will round that too. here is a picture of what I mean. see the point that sticks out on the front grip?

While holding it up front it is so well balanced you can really put the coals to it. I'm sure if you slipped it would take half your arm/leg off but it really makes for some cutting force. It will feather a stick...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline manddoutfitters

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »
Nice curves on that blade looks like you can get some work done with that.
Member 129 damn it's hot in Fla.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
schrade extreme survival...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:50:25 AM »
I also like that kind of curvy blade. It makes me think of the slicing ability of a larger kukri knife married to a smaller, more manageable blade. I like belly on my knives. 

Thanks for posting, looking forward to seeing more on this knife.

KK

Tapatalked from my batphone.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
Going on 3 years of heavy abuse. This thing is still splitting down kindling for our wood stove. It's my workhorse I take outback too. Pounds in my stakes, cut's down large deadfall branches, and still slices nicely.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:43:25 PM »
Nice! Seems to hold up well. 3yrs is a long time for a product to last in today's throw away world.

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 07:21:34 AM »
I bought my Schrade SCHF9 back in December of 2014; for the price is very good knife and you can get it sharp.   I do not use it a lot I guess because of the size and my location at the campground here in Virginia, it kind of look intimidating to some of the campers so my everyday use knife is a Mora.    The Schrade SCHF9 does travel with me in my truck along with an Army pistol belt and some other emergency equipment.    Sharpening the blade of a slight curved knife is a little different, so I ordered a Lansky curved blade hone set for sharpening this knife as well as 2 Kukri machetes that I own and it does makes it little nicer to sharpen the blades.
I have done pretty much the same with my knife, splitting wood for kindling, feathering, and cutting meats, I am pleased with the performance of the knife and how good it handles for such a bigger knife.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.