Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 10179 times)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
I posted a HOT&SPICY chili recipe sometime ago, I believe it was sometime last summer. It was posted in a thread and wasn't one that I started. 
Now I can't find the written recipe, the recipe on the forum, or the recipe online  and now I want to make it again :mad:
Any help in pointing me in the right direction on how to find the post in the forum would be appreciated.
I've searched and have had no luck :shrug:

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
Is this it?
Heres my favorite chili recipe:

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
12oz tomato paste
16oz tomato sauce
3 24oz cans kidney beans
6 Tbs garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons parsley
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
One onion
4 habanero peppers
1 tablespoon cayenne powder
2 Mexican red chilies
1 cup elbow macaroni
6 oz beef stock

Brown the meat and onion, finely dice the peppers

Mix all together and simmer 4 to 5 hours or more adding the macaroni towards the end.
Also, I like it spicy and add extra peppers :D
Try this recipe I guarantee you you will love it.   ? Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:00:27 PM by Bearhunter ?
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »
Yep, it sure is OP THANKS :banana:

I'll send ya a bowl ;D

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »
Yep, it sure is OP THANKS :banana:

I'll send ya a bowl ;D

Here's how I found it. It's no secret, and works for just about any search you want to do.

In the browser address bar, I typed:

"Bearhunter spicy chili site:bladesandbushcraft. com"

As long as you have your browser options set to "search from address bar/window" it will work on any site. That is usually the default with IE and FF, so don't even go looking for that option unless it doesn't work.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:49 PM »

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
well I just stole your recipie. We have my family secret one but it's nice to have more for variety.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »
Holy Moley!  I bet that's spicy!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
HELP!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »
Nucular chilli. Nice.

Do you glow bright red in the end? After you eat it, I mean?

;)

Tapatalked from my batphone.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Lol yeah that would be a hot one for sure!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »
Ah, c'mon! 34 oz of liquid, a cup of uncooked macaroni and 2 pounds of meat? And what, 4 little habaneros and a little cayenne? Barely tingle the taste buds!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
HELP!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »
A certain Johnny Cash song comes to mind...

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
A certain Johnny Cash song comes to mind...

He's been eating that way most of his life,  have a heart guys,  his taste receptors are shot.

Don't listen to these guys BH.   :)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
Heck fellows... It ain't that hot ;D

I'm going to make it on Friday :)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Ah, c'mon! 34 oz of liquid, a cup of uncooked macaroni and 2 pounds of meat? And what, 4 little habaneros and a little cayenne? Barely tingle the taste buds!

Actually,  I tend to agree OP,  that's a good sized pot of Chili,  it's not going to be bland for sure,  but I don't think it's going to blister anything either.   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »

All kidding aside Bearhunter,  I'm going to try your recipe this weekend,  though I'll have to skip the oregano and the pasta,  other than that it sounds pretty good,  add a bit more chili powder and throw in a bay leaf maybe.   :)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »

All kidding aside Bearhunter,  I'm going to try your recipe this weekend,  though I'll have to skip the oregano and the pasta,  other than that it sounds pretty good,  add a bit more chili powder and throw in a bay leaf maybe.   :)
Nice Moe... In sure you'll enjoy it :)
I usually add a couple more peppers ;)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
HELP!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »
The chillies and peppers would be hot for this pasty white Canadian. My idea of hot is a bit more black pepper.

Don't get me wrong gents, I love the taste of heat, just don't enjoy the burn... on, um, either end. ;)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »
The chillies and peppers would be hot for this pasty white Canadian. My idea of hot is a bit more black pepper.

Don't get me wrong gents, I love the taste of heat, just don't enjoy the burn... on, um, either end. ;)

I'm a pasty white Montanan ;D
My wife and I are use to heat. We eat a lot of spicy foods.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »

We just threw together a potato/ground beef/cheese casserole tonight. If you like the "bite" without the "burn" try cooking with curry powder. Used in the right amount, it spices things up without the after effects most people complain about with peppers.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
HELP!
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »
Sounds good OP. I love curry powder. I even have some. So, you add it like any other spice? I must try that.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
We too use curry and cumin in certain dishes.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »
Curry can be used to just enhance flavors, or it can be used to really spice things up.
A good recipe to start with would be an East Indian dish like Curried Lamb (you can substitute venison, or veal).
The thing about curry is that you can add quite a bit, and get a "pop" in your mouth, and a runny nose, and 5 minutes later be saying, "Wow! What was that?" 
I love my hot peppers, but I don't enjoy dishes that go for "burn" or "heat" over "spicy". I like to taste all the flavors in a dish, and not be screaming, "White bread! White bread! Where's the sour cream?"  :P
IMHO, if all you can taste is the burn of the peppers, you screwed up.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
We had 'curried' lamp awhile back.
Delicious ;)
We bought the lamb from a farmer that lives just outside of Missoula.
Grass raised and finished :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:40:33 AM by Bearhunter »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 10:15:58 PM »
Coleman, or Primus?

Sorry...I'm laughing with you, not at you. I hate it when my brain says one thing and my fingers aren't listening!

;D

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
HELP!
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:10 AM »
So, here's my thing in my best whiny voice:  I don't  have venison this year (dont ask!) and I don't eat veal...

Also, I don't like following recipes all that well. I'm more of a "pinch of this, a spoonful of that" kinda guy whenever I can. But if, say, I wanted to spice up a beef, chicken or veggie dish, I could toss a little curry powder in there? Like in a bean chilli kinda thing?

Not trying to be thick, but my mum was a Brit and (although curry is huge over there I guess) she cooked, well, typical English food. Yum. (<- sarcasm)

Now if she'd a been French...

Oh, and its prolly tmi, but I married a Finn, and their food is even more bland...

So, yea, I'd love to discover some flavours that won't burn my arse out.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »
Curry goes well with beef, and chicken (fowl). I have never tried it in any form of chili. In other words, I have no idea how well beans and curry would play together. Curried rice (just toss some in with the rice while cooking) is good, and gives rices, as a side dish, a nice perking up. My wife has done a curry sauce to pour over pasta that was good, but I don't have the details on that. IIRC, it's just a white sauce with curry added.
My wife is the culinary wizard, and 'we' are in that "recipes are for people who don't know how to cook" camp, like you. She gets in a 'zone' when putting stuff together, and the ingredients reveal themselves as she goes along.
Good example: Night before last she started out with the thought, "I have some ground beef in the 'fridge, now what?" We ended up with a baking dish filled with layers of thin sliced potatoes (ala 'scalloped potatoes') and yams, ground beef browned with curry powder, taco seasoning, salt and pepper, a sprinkle of feta cheese, and topped with a cheddar cheese sauce, and baked 'til the potatoes were done.  Another great meal from the "I'm just winging it" school of cooking.  :hail:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:50 AM »
Coleman, or Primus?

Sorry...I'm laughing with you, not at you. I hate it when my brain says one thing and my fingers aren't listening!

;D
You've never had a 'curried lamp' ??? ;D
I fixed it... Damn auto spell correct on the iPhone :mad:

We defiantly throw meals together from time to time and just hope for the best ;), but some recipes need to be followed closely to get the right combination of flavors. To much of or to little of this or that and the proper flavor just isn't there.
This holds especially true in Chinese cooking.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
You're right about the Asian cooking. Not everything is supposed to just taste like soy sauce. And go easy on that nuoc mam!  :shocked:
Mongolian and Szechuan cuisine, on the other hand, remind me more of camp cooking. Heavy on the spices that are needed to cover up the meat that's starting to turn from being stored without refrigeration for a week. Hahaha!  "Mongolian Beef" (which is one of my favorites) is a good example of some random meat, a few green things, and enough sesame oil and spices to cover up the taste of the first two ingredients.  ;D

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
HELP!
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
Curry goes well with beef, and chicken (fowl). I have never tried it in any form of chili. In other words, I have no idea how well beans and curry would play together. Curried rice (just toss some in with the rice while cooking) is good, and gives rices, as a side dish, a nice perking up. My wife has done a curry sauce to pour over pasta that was good, but I don't have the details on that. IIRC, it's just a white sauce with curry added.
My wife is the culinary wizard, and 'we' are in that "recipes are for people who don't know how to cook" camp, like you. She gets in a 'zone' when putting stuff together, and the ingredients reveal themselves as she goes along.
Good example: Night before last she started out with the thought, "I have some ground beef in the 'fridge, now what?" We ended up with a baking dish filled with layers of thin sliced potatoes (ala 'scalloped potatoes') and yams, ground beef browned with curry powder, taco seasoning, salt and pepper, a sprinkle of feta cheese, and topped with a cheddar cheese sauce, and baked 'til the potatoes were done.  Another great meal from the "I'm just winging it" school of cooking.  :hail:
Thanks OP, that helps a lot. Needless to say, that I like the way you describe cooking: the ingredients just reveal themselves. I think that there are a lot of people that cook that way because they can't run to the store for every ingredient they need. And in some cases, they can't afford it. And that, to me anyways, is real cooking!

And Bearhunter, I know what you mean about the iPhone spelling AutoCorrect. It's a pain!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
You're right about the Asian cooking. Not everything is supposed to just taste like soy sauce. And go easy on that nuoc mam!  :shocked:
Mongolian and Szechuan cuisine, on the other hand, remind me more of camp cooking. Heavy on the spices that are needed to cover up the meat that's starting to turn from being stored without refrigeration for a week. Hahaha!  "Mongolian Beef" (which is one of my favorites) is a good example of some random meat, a few green things, and enough sesame oil and spices to cover up the taste of the first two ingredients.  ;D
We have this gals books...

http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/books/

The two on the bottom; Land of Plenty and Revolutionary Chinese Cooking

The are both excellent books.
She has an interesting story and was the first westerner to be allowed to train/study in an elite cooking school in China.
We also have an older Chinese cookbook that has all kinds of 'regular' Chinese dishes.

Yeah, OP...
I sure do like Mongolian beef too. I actually told my wife the other day that I wanted to make it again soon ;)
I'll have dig up the recipe sometime today. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »

Yeah, OP...
I sure do like Mongolian beef too. I actually told my wife the other day that I wanted to make it again soon ;)
I'll have dig up the recipe sometime today. 

Here's a starting point:

1 lb. flank steak, thinly sliced (best to do when partially frozen, slice against grain)
1/2 c. soy sauce
2 tbsp. dry sherry
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. crushed red peppers
4-6 whole red peppers
4 tbsp. oil for frying
4 bunches green onions, sliced diagonally

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
HELP!
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
Here's the one I normally use...

Marinade I lb beef cut into thin slices...

3Tbs rice wine
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp backing soda
3Tbs cornstarch
1tsp chili oil (homemade)
1tsp sesame oil
1tsp sugar
4Tbs soy sauce

The sauce...

2Tbs rice wine
3Tbs Hosin sauce
1Tbs chili sauce
2Tbs dark soy sauce
3/4c stock
1tsp cornstarch

4 scallions chopped
1 can bamboo shoots
4-5 cloves chopped garlic

... I normally add a few fresh red peppers as well. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »

Nice Moe... In sure you'll enjoy it :)
I usually add a couple more peppers ;)

I got to try your recipe on Sunday,  although I did make a few changes,  I skipped the oregano,  cut the Garlic powder and added fresh Garlic instead,  upped the Chili powder by double,  and substituted dried Anahiem peppers for the fresh chile's,  and I used canned diced tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce,  while not exactly the same as yours I think I managed to keep the spirit of your recipe,  and it turned out great.

Thanks for the recipe.