Author Topic: Trail Mix  (Read 7899 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Trail Mix
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
Lets fill this thread up with Trail Mix recipes.  :)   Toss in your favorite mix or one you'd like to try.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Trail Mix
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
Gorp:

4 cu raisins
4 cu M&M candies
1 12 oz can of salted mixed nuts

Poor man's Gorp:

4 cu raisins
4 cu M&M candies
16 oz jar of dry roasted, salted peanuts
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »
I like a good mixture of raisins, sunflower seeds (hulled), coconut flakes, banana chips, and almonds. Dark chocolate chips are optional.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »

I think we need to take a bag of OP's Gorp and dump it into Rog;s bag of mix and give it a good shake.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
I think your right Moe. 

With those new Peanut Butter cheerios out there.. I think they are a plus for trail mixes. I love peanut butter.  mmm mm

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
I think your right Moe. 

With those new Peanut Butter cheerios out there.. I think they are a plus for trail mixes. I love peanut butter.  mmm mm

WW.

Now I'd be good with that if they chocolate coat them.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Word of caution...don't put anything you want to stay crisp in with raisins, or any moist fruit. I love sesame crisps, but they die a horrible death in a bag with raisins.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
Here ya go Moe...   May as well throw in some raisins and peanuts......:)

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cheerios
Prep Time: 5
Total Time: 20
Ingredients:

Peanut butter Cheerios
Chocolate chips or a chocolate bar

The proportions will vary depending on how many chocolate covered Cheerios you want. I melted a few squares of chocolate for approx. 1 Cup of Cheerios. I suggest melting the chocolate and dipping Cheerios until you run out of chocolate! HA! :)

Directions:
Melt chocolate chips or a chocolate bar.

Dip each Cheerio one at a time or multiple Cherrios for making clusters.

Place on parchment or wax paper or a Silpat mat.

Chill until set, approx. 15 min.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »
Good tip OP!     I wouldnt have thought of that.    What about other dried fruits.. same thing?   
WW.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
I forgot about sesame thingers! Local Mennonite store has them in "cajun" flavor... So good.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
Here ya go Moe...   May as well throw in some raisins and peanuts...... :)

Ingredients:

Peanut butter Cheerios

The proportions will vary depending on how many chocolate covered Cheerios you want. I melted a few squares of chocolate for approx. 1 Cup of Cheerios. I suggest melting the chocolate and dipping Cheerios until you run out of chocolate! HA! :)

Directions:

You need a product label on that.

"Suitable for temperatures below 32oF. Do not carry in an inside pocket. Melts on your hands, not in your mouth." Hahaha!
Why do I have this vision of Moe sitting at the table with a pair of tweezers, dipping one Cheerio at a time...x500?!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
Good tip OP!     I wouldnt have thought of that.    What about other dried fruits.. same thing?  
WW.
Pretty much, given time. The crisp stuff gets soft, the soft stuff dries out.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Here ya go Moe...   May as well throw in some raisins and peanuts......:)

Ingredients:

Peanut butter Cheerios

Directions:

now where does one find  these? chocolate  peanut butter cheerios? that is a new one to me hell  with that I would flat out skip the rest of the stuff :D LOL
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
Here ya go Moe...   May as well throw in some raisins and peanuts...... :)

Ingredients:

Peanut butter Cheerios

Directions:

You need a product label on that.

"Suitable for temperatures below 32oF. Do not carry in an inside pocket. Melts on your hands, not in your mouth." Hahaha!
Why do I have this vision of Moe sitting at the table with a pair of tweezers, dipping one Cheerio at a time...x500?!

Afraid not,  I'd be willing to give them a try out of the box in a bowl of milk,  other than that I take a bag of those Reese's pieces please.
  And those M&M's with peanut butter,  they're bad,  the wife won't let me buy them any more,  I have zero willpower when it comes to those little devils,  a couple of weeks ago CVS had a buy one get one free sale on candy,  hey that's a good deal,  two large bags for seven bucks,  the damned thing didn't last the week,  and my sugar numbers went through the roof.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »

Ingredients:

Peanut butter Cheerios

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now where does one find  these? chocolate  peanut butter cheerios? that is a new one to me hell  with that I would flat out skip the rest of the stuff :D LOL
You make them, per WW's recipe.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
Easy.. the recipe is for putting chocolate ON the new Peanut butter Cheerios. :)     I'm hoping the PB cheerios are good..   cuz cpt. Crunch tears my mouth up.

WW. 

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
Easy.. the recipe is for putting chocolate ON the new Peanut butter Cheerios. :)     I'm hoping the PB cheerios are good..   cuz cpt. Crunch tears my mouth up.

WW.

ah now I love that kinda good crap food cereal  like Captain crunch  LOL only thing is most is to sweet for my taste these days I eat them like chips though lol
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 05:40:02 AM »
These all sound good.  On recent trips I have been lazy and just took along packages of mixed dried fruit and M & M's.  My snacks always seem to migrate to the bottom of my haversack, so durable resealable packages are preferred.  M&M's and lint make a bad mixture.
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
I once subsisted on 2 pounds of Gorp, and coffee for an entire weekend. But I have to say that Burger King was sure a welcome sight when I got back into town! Hahaha!

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »
I once subsisted on 2 pounds of Gorp, and coffee for an entire weekend. But I have to say that Burger King was sure a welcome sight when I got back into town! Hahaha!

I remember  the first time I went  on  a  rather long hike when my family came to  pick me up  the subways they brought never tasted so  good, even though had some stuff I  don't like much LOL :D but yeah most fast food  is usually a welcome site