Author Topic: My Alcohol Stove Kit  (Read 9444 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
My Alcohol Stove Kit
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »
Yes, alcohol stoves are old news, I know, but I figured I'd share my kit with you all.  I'm sure don't need to discuss how to make the stoves.  There's enough info out there on the internets for sure.

I use a slightly shorter tomato can-sized can (that I believe contained chili) that functions as a pot stand, wind screen, and container for the entire kit. I'm still tweaking things

Steel rods cut from a campaign sign used for a recessed pot stand.

My olicamp space saver mug with a lid cut from a can.  I also use a stanley cook pot that I bought from a certain department store with it.

The contents of the kit with some of my stoves.

How everything fits with a cat food stove. This fits 4 oz of fuel if I put the lid in there or 5 oz without the lid. More than enough fuel for a few brews.

With a smaller stove.  More room for more fuel if need be.

All closed up. The lids came from coffee cans.

It measures ~4 inches wide by ~3.5 inches tall and weighs about 10 oz.

"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
Re: My Alcohol Stove Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
very nice setup!

if you cut a small square hole in the side about an inch up (about 1.5 by 3 inches at least) you'll have a nice wood stove too!

another cool tip i learned. if you just want to warm up a cup of tea or keep something warm, turn the alcohol stove upside down and burn a little hand sanitizer in the depression.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »
Really, really cool!  Thanks for posting. 

Let's see if some others wanna post their up....
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
My Alcohol Stove Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
I've never used an alcohol stove, but that looks like a nifty little kit.

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
I like your kit a lot.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
I like alcohol stoves...they're quite convenient. That's a nice stove kit you have there.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
Nice kit.
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
Very slick!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
Thanks, fellas.

BigHat: I have actually burned wood in it before. I might try and figure out a way to have it work as a top-loading wood stove kind of like a few gasifiers I've seen out there. Maybe with an extra piece kind of like this guy did:

Since I have a couple of small pieces in the kit, I probably won't be cutting any holes in this one.  ;)

I like my alcohol stoves. Good for a quick brew or simple meal. Not extremely versatile in what you can cook with 'em but that's not really the point.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »
Great looking kit.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »
Nice stove!

Offline Mudtar

• Mill File+
My Alcohol Stove Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
Nice kit. I am currently dabbling in the alco-stove dept, now. I've made two prototypes, so far

Kudos

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Nice kit. I am currently dabbling in the alco-stove dept, now. I've made two prototypes, so far

Kudos

Post some pics! :D

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »
That's a very nice set up. It looked big in the first few pictures, but seeing it in your hand, it is very compact.

Offline Welding Goats

• Mill File+
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 06:05:21 AM »
Nice, well thought out system.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Daywalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
Me likey. Nice and compact. Peace
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Thanks, fellers. Glad you like it. I'll always be tweaking and changing things with it, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. :)

That's a very nice set up. It looked big in the first few pictures, but seeing it in your hand, it is very compact.

I used much smaller cans for the actual stove than the ones from your post. Optical illusion! ;)  They probably don't have as many BTU's as a larger can stove but I like the small foot print this setup has in my pack. Either way, it does the job and I still get things hot pretty quick with it. Thanks for viewing! :)

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 06:05:22 AM »
I dig it.

One suggestion I have is to try the small Purell hand sanitizer bottles for carrying your fuel. Their rectangular shape might mean being able to fit the space inside better, meaning carrying a little bit more fuel.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 07:53:57 AM »
I dig it.

One suggestion I have is to try the small Purell hand sanitizer bottles for carrying your fuel. Their rectangular shape might mean being able to fit the space inside better, meaning carrying a little bit more fuel.

I'll give it a shot. I'm always looking for ways to fit more fuel in the kit. Thanks for the suggestion! ;)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 12:09:30 AM »
The inter-web may be filled with tutorials of alcohol stoves but I'd still like to see how you built yours, very cool compact kit! :thumbsup:

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 08:18:45 AM »
The inter-web may be filled with tutorials of alcohol stoves but I'd still like to see how you built yours, very cool compact kit! :thumbsup:

Thanks, man! The kit isn't too hard to make, really. The actual burners are the most complicated part.  I'm not due to make a new one just yet so I'll describe the process as best as I can.

This is the same pic I posted above. Here's the whole kit laid out.

The can that serves as a stand/windscreen/container is a ~4" diameter chili can, about 3.5" high.  It's the same diameter as those big tomato cans, just a little shorter.  I just measured out sixteen evenly spaced holes around the top and the bottom and drilled them to size using a step bit. If you look at the pics, I have larger and smaller holes. I don't think this really does anything. I just wanted to enlarge some for better airflow. The largest ones are 3/8".  One thing to take into account: depending on what kind of can you get, the interior might be coated with something.  I just burned it out and wire brushed it clean before using it.

I just eyeballed the holes for the rods based on how high or low I figured the pot should be for whatever stove I'm using. The rods I have in the pics are salvaged from a political sign.  I haven't been using these lately because I realized that they're galvanized.  I've been instead using pieces of shish kebab skewers from the grocery store.

The lids are from coffee cans. Lids from nut cans fit okay, but the ones from coffee cans fit perfectly.

The stoves themselves are a whole other thing. The brass colored one is made from a small cat food tin and a wasabi powder can as the inner can. It's based on this design posted by Wood Trekker, just a lot smaller: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/06/diy-alcohol-stove-tuna-can-stove.html I can post up some detailed pics later, if you want.

The other stoves I've been making and using, and have been fairly impressed with, are designed by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tetkoba/videos?view=0

His "Pipeless Hoop Stove v.2" and "Capillary Hoop Stove - universal -" are really good stoves. Warning: extremely cheesy music in his vids!

Oh, and the fuel bottles are from REI. 2 and 1 oz, I believe.  Height-wise, they're the tallest that'll fit in the can shown.  If you use a taller can, 3 oz bottles should fit fine.

I hope I covered everything you'd need to know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. ;)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »
Ahh, I see!  I was wondering what kind of cans you used, very cool thanks.