Author Topic: THE VERENDRYE PLATE  (Read 3730 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
THE VERENDRYE PLATE
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:33:02 PM »
Most folks in the Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan that are interested in history and the early exploration of this part of the continent by Lewis & Clark and those that preceded them are familiar with the early exploration and claiming of these vast territories by the French. 

I finally got to see this plate in Pierre (pronounced 'PEER') South Dakota several years ago....kind of like viewing the Holy Grail for a history freak  :hail: :banana:  Anyway, it's quite a story and I thought some of the rest of you might like to read the story of how, when and why it came to be there.......

http://www.amerisurv.com/PDF/TheAmericanSurveyor_Penry-TheVerendryePlate_Vol10No2.pdf
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: THE VERENDRYE PLATE
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
Thanks, Wolfy! I love to see this sort of thing being brought to light.
The MacKenzie Expedition predated L & C by 10 years, but since he came down through Canada, he gets ignored by US Historians.
I'd heard very little about the Verendrye  party, only about the French claim. Thanks for this!
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »
Nuh uh...  Vikings were here first.  :P  :P   

What is it with all these folks scribblin on things and droppin around here (Americas) with out better explanations?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
THE VERENDRYE PLATE
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »
Awesome and very interesting.
Thanks Wolfy :)

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:34:05 AM »
Great article! Thanks for the link.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Good post Wolfy.  Those of us who live in South Dakota are usually aware of it, and proud its in Pierre.  Here is another twist to the story.  A few years ago another plate left by the Verendryes was found somewhere along the Cheyenne river area west of where the one you saw in the museum was discovered.  A fight ensued over ownership of the plate.  The private party who found it, the land owner, France, and perhaps the United States and the state of South Dakota.  The person who found it said to hell with it and is reported to have thrown it out of an airplane into the Cheyenne river in an undisclosed location.  True?  Don't really know but it gets little press these days.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960208&slug=2313096

Have you heard of the Thoene stone that was found on Lookout Mountain near Spearfish?

http://pie.midco.net/treasuredude/thoen.html

I have always assumed its a fake but who knows?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 08:58:32 AM »
Nuh uh...  Vikings were here first.  :P  :P   

What is it with all these folks scribblin on things and droppin around here (Americas) with out better explanations?

WW.

Interesting post wolfy thanx,

WW, theres a book by one of the greatest (The greatest canadian) story tellers who challenges the whole "Viking" theory
If you like reading especially history type stuff (albeit fictional "what if") this is a GREAT book

http://dancingfromgenesis.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/the-farfarers-farley-mowat-pre-norsemen-columbus-viking-explorers-voyages-north-atlantic-america-iron-age-labrador-newfoundland-route-iceland-greenland-shetland-fetlar-islands-shipping-longhouses-pami/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farfarers
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
Interesting stuff!
:thumbsup:

Thnx for the sharing of the links!
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »
That is a very interesting read wolfy, thanks for posting this up. 

That part about it could be made into a musket ball if needed was pretty cool!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »

WW, theres a book by one of the greatest (The greatest canadian) story tellers who challenges the whole "Viking" theory
If you like reading especially history type stuff (albeit fictional "what if") this is a GREAT book

http://dancingfromgenesis.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/the-farfarers-farley-mowat-pre-norsemen-columbus-viking-explorers-voyages-north-atlantic-america-iron-age-labrador-newfoundland-route-iceland-greenland-shetland-fetlar-islands-shipping-longhouses-pami/

That could be an interesting read. I've never heard the theory before that Great Britain could be a northern remnant of Atlantis.

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »

That could be an interesting read. I've never heard the theory before that Great Britain could be a northern remnant of Atlantis.

Im quite certain you would really enjoy this book Ol'P. .Its got a few pictures of some sites that are very persuasive to his theory. 
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »

Im quite certain you would really enjoy this book Ol'P. .Its got a few pictures of some sites that are very persuasive to his theory.
I'll have to check it out if I can find it.
FWIW, the idea that there was a British Isles-Atlantian connect might go a ways in explain what the Druids were all about.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »
Great article; great post, Wolfy!  You, sir, are the master of historical coolness  :hail:

@Bushybeard, I'm going to have to check that out.  Although, I must say, that I have tended to see Farley as more "story teller" than "historian."  I do believe he takes some, um, "poetic licence" at times...  But hey, who hasn't read Lost in the Barrens? He has some EXCELLENT books out there!!!

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »
All those links were fun to read.   

I've thought of that too..  why would anyone being hunted by the Natives be making the noise of carving into stone?   Its been talked about on the Kensington runestone too.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »
Old thread, but more information.....

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/verendrye-monument

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »
Thanks Wolfy, I didn't know that the marker was in town.  Interesting.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »

It would make some interesting cast bullets.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 08:38:36 AM »

It would make some interesting cast bullets.

Or flint wrappers. :coffee:     If some old plainsman or mountain man had run on to it before those kids did, that's exactly what would have happened to it. :-\

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
If the old guy who threw the other one out of his plane is telling the truth you could go look for that one.   :shrug:
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
That means buying a scuba outfit because I heard that he threw it into the Cheyenne River from the airplane he hired. :doh: :P

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
That is what he said he did.   :shrug:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 05:03:16 AM »
I have always thought of the Verendrye family as the little known first family of the North American fur trapper/explorers. I hate missing history, but at the same time the mystery of it is fascinating.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
They are credited with being the first europeans to see the Black Hills of present day South Dakota and their expedition did expand the range of French involvement in the northern plains.
(Mark Twain)