Author Topic: nimblewill wood stove...  (Read 20173 times)

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
Re: nimblewill wood stove...
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
Try to get a quote on Ti.  I know it's a lot more, but as soon as I packed a SS stove out I knew I wanted Ti for backpacking.  The design is bomber.

I've asked about doing titanium in the quote requests. Just sent two more out. Haven't heard back from the one yesterday yet. I'll let you know once I get some details back.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
Thanks bro.  I think there are several more looking for Ti.  I appreciate your work.   :thumbsup:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
First quote.

Thanks for sending the RFQ.  The stainless will be less cost unless you have access to scrap Ti.

We can get 16 stoves from a 24"x48" pc so it would be nice.

Our price to cut each kit is 45 dollars plus material.  At that .13" thickness.

Our price to cut a kit from 16 gage or 06" thick is 22 dollars each plus material.

The tab slots appear to be set at .045" thick.  That thickness kit is at 20 dollars each.

Also the stove base with all the holes can be made at less cost with a different design and not holes.  It is lower cost to have less start points like at each hole and have fewer starts by the use of slots.

We can start cutting 2-3 days after material arrives.

He seems to have ignored my request for 19 or 20 ga. steel. I'll write him back and ask about it.

Also, he mentioned lowering the price by skipping the holes in the bottom plate. I could drill them out myself on my own kit but I'd kind of rather not have to. The whole point of this is getting a nice, manufactured stove so I like to keep the holes in the design. What do you guys think?

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »
Drilling some holes isn't hard...if it save money and expedites the process ..that's just me though

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
Drilling some holes isn't hard...if it save money and expedites the process ..that's just me though

Creek
It is a boring job, though  :rolleyes:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline JTD

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2013, 07:11:09 PM »
Good work with everything diogenes!  :thumbsup: Thank you very much bud.

I can drill holes.. Heck I can cut out, file, and grind the entire stove for cheap..  it would work, but be janky as all hell!
Me personally I'd prefer to get it completely prefabbed, just to have a nice clean little setup..  $20-30 price range works for me, but over that might as well get a SS emberlite instead.  Just my thinking of course.   

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »

Creek
It is a boring job, though  :rolleyes:

I've been accused of being boring..  :doh:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
Good work with everything diogenes!  :thumbsup: Thank you very much bud.

I can drill holes.. Heck I can cut out, file, and grind the entire stove for cheap..  it would work, but be janky as all hell!
Me personally I'd prefer to get it completely prefabbed, just to have a nice clean little setup..  $20-30 price range works for me, but over that might as well get a SS emberlite instead.  Just my thinking of course.   

I agree. I could do the entire thing myself, too, but I'd like to have a nice shop-made setup from go. I'll see what he'd charge for a thinner gauge or what it would cost if I procure the metal myself. I know places for that, too. Maybe I'll call them about a sheet of Ti.

Still no word from the other places yet. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see if I can speed up the process.

People will notice he threw the number 16 out. So far we have 5 or 6. If anyone else is interested...

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
Just to let you guys know: I haven't forgotten about the stoves. I figured I'd get an email back after Christmas or at latest after New Years from the guy I've been talking to. Looks like he forgot about it though. >:( Come Monday I'll shoot him a line and see what's up.

Offline JTD

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:03 AM »
Just to let you guys know: I haven't forgotten about the stoves. I figured I'd get an email back after Christmas or at latest after New Years from the guy I've been talking to. Looks like he forgot about it though. >:( Come Monday I'll shoot him a line and see what's up.

:thumbsup:

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2014, 06:54:55 AM »
It always seems to be easier than it turns out to be.  Holidays throw a wrench into the mix. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 07:25:30 AM »
Put my name in the hat, for which ever, but Ti would be cool.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »
Forgot to email the guy yesterday. Was too busy playing in my snow fort. ;) I'll send one out now.

So it appears we have 8 people so far?

1. JTD
2. Roggy the Froggy
3. madmax
4. Nature Boy
5. xj35s
6. upthecreek
7. Spyder1958
8. diogenes

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Is this Ti or SS.  I'll pop for either to make it happen.  But hope for Ti.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »
Is this Ti or SS.  I'll pop for either to make it happen.  But hope for Ti.

I've found a place where I can get some titanium. No word on pricing, though. I'll update as I find more out.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »
Have you figured out what thickness your looking for on the TI?
I have a piece that I am wondering what to do with, might be a good project.
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
Have you figured out what thickness your looking for on the TI?
I have a piece that I am wondering what to do with, might be a good project.

Not really yet. From what I've seen online it looks like the guages of SS and Ti are the same? I was thinking 19 for the SS which is about 1mm.

Did you make your batch of stoves yourself?

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
No, I cut the first one out of card stock to make it work, then took the PDF to a water jet service right down the street. He ordered the SS sheet, my cheap caliper says 45 thou.
Its a really nice stove that is about bomb proof if a little heavy, but you can literally boil a gallon pot of water on it.
The water jet guy was pretty cheap and I didn't pay a lot for high precision so there was some fitting required, but the guys that bought them seemed happy with them.
The Ti roll I have is pretty thin, can't put my hands on my mic but looks about 10 thou. Its pretty rigid but I don't think it is stiff enough for the Nimblewill design.
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2018, 04:09:23 PM »
I did a quick mod to my nimblewill. It's not an original stainless but a tin copy. I have had issues with a few of my pots and pans not fitting. So I drilled holes for some support. This is an extreme presentation just to show the versatility it now has. The front to back stakes perfectly support the left to right stakes. I am using dollar store steel garden stakes. Two stakes are all that are needed for my Fosters pot. I use four for my canteen cup.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.