Author Topic: Kit Contest: A Holy Hand Grenade's Worth of Survival  (Read 81795 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Kit Contest: A Holy Hand Grenade's Worth of Survival
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
Keep it going guys!  Great stuff!  No hurry.   :)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #251 on: May 05, 2013, 06:34:55 AM »
I sent out a grenade pouch this week so there is a least one more entry to go.  If anyone else wants to participate I can send you a pouch for the cost of shipping.

I found a few more.  8)
Ok sounds great still available ?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »
Go Rob!  Maybe I'll get yours to use on the camp with the Beast.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »
I sent out a grenade pouch this week so there is a least one more entry to go.  If anyone else wants to participate I can send you a pouch for the cost of shipping.

I found a few more.  8)
Ok sounds great still available ?

Yes, I have some but I'm in travel status until Tuesday.  So I'll shoot you a PM when I get home.

Thanks
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
Cool I'll keep eye out for your pm

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
Oops looks like I need to work on post count

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
Go Rob!  Maybe I'll get yours to use on the camp with the Beast.
[/quotn never know

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »
received pouch yesterday looks great thanks beast

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
Kit in process as well as my post count  >:D

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »

Rob, don't sweat the post count, your in.  Although your posts are certainly welcome.

I believe we still have two folks that have received pouches that have not put up their entries but their is still time.   

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #260 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »

Rob, don't sweat the post count, your in.  Although your posts are certainly welcome.

I believe we still have two folks that have received pouches that have not put up their entries but their is still time.

Still working on mine....

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #261 on: May 22, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »

Still working on mine....

No worries at all.  Having this contest sort of open ended appeals to the procrastinator in me. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
WB, Our new puppy ate mine. Old cliche I know but it's true. The fishing leaders only have the snap swivels left. I'm not sure which dog might have swallowed the cables. It's been a couple weeks and they seem fine.

So can we dismiss my previous entry? If I won I don't think I have the same contents now or the ambition to redo it the same.

Here they are, can you tell which is the 5 month old? 1/2 Great Dane/ 1/2 Rottweiler-Xena and Rhodesian Ridgeback- Julia. They look soooo innocent...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
WB, Our new puppy ate mine. Old cliche I know but it's true. The fishing leaders only have the snap swivels left. I'm not sure which dog might have swallowed the cables. It's been a couple weeks and they seem fine.

So can we dismiss my previous entry? If I won I don't think I have the same contents now or the ambition to redo it the same.

Here they are, can you tell which is the 5 month old? 1/2 Great Dane/ 1/2 Rottweiler-Xena and Rhodesian Ridgeback- Julia. They look soooo innocent...

I'm guessing your going to need a bigger couch for Xena (on the left?) 1/2 Great Dane and 1/2 Rotti.  Both your girls are very pretty.  We went through the puppy chewing phase with my dog a few years ago, it'll pass, just like the contents of your pouch did  ;)

If you want another pouch shoot me a PM. 

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
And because it's so open ended, I might keep adding goodies to the prize pile, in time, lol.

I love how this has grown!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #265 on: May 27, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
I'm waiting on one more item and should be good to go soon....

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
I  just camped in 36 to 46 degree nights in WNC.   Let's give it a bit more time to warm up, 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
I  just camped in 36 to 46 degree nights in WNC.   Let's give it a bit more time to warm up,

Agreed.  :)

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2013, 03:16:40 AM »
Wuss!   8)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #269 on: May 30, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »
OK Finally
1. One RSK MK5 Knife
2. One Fire steel
3. One Pot, can  (Note painted with high temp black paint and has holes drill at top for hanging)
4. 25' Bank line (Note wrap around can)
5. One Emergency Blanket
6. One Gallon zip lock
7. 2 aquamira tabs (Note purifies 32 oz. per tab)
8. A Whistle
9. A Photon Freedom micro light (Note also flasher)
10. 8' of snare wire
11. 25 yds. 20# power pro 6# dia. braded line
12. 2 bobbers
13. 3 split shots
14. 5 small fishing hooks attach to inside grenade flap
15. A Water tight capsole holds cotton balls with Vaseline and two cubes of wet fire

16. Oops almost forgot One Grenade pouch  >:D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:07:25 PM by Rowjr »

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »
Nice looking Rowjr. Glad to see you joined the fun.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »
Glad to have some of the fun and let me say when you get started on this there is no ending of what you might do or come up with, definetly a learning process of the whole idea. I just want to say thanks to all for letting me be involved and cannot wait to see the whole process ...Good luck Tony  >:D

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »
Great lookin' kit right there, Rowjr! Glad to have you (and everyone) involved!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »
Wuss!   8)
I'm gonna fly over there and prove you wrong.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Kit Contest: A Holy Hand Grenade's Worth of Survival
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »
Wuss!   8)

You better be carful Max...
 Jontok has troll meat  for lunch, he put pics up once!
He's prolly got a troll for a pet too :devil:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #275 on: June 02, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
Wuss!   8)

You better be carful Max...
 Jontok has troll meat  for lunch, he put pics up once!
He's prolly got a troll for a pet too :devil:
Madmax: Come on over! I'll get the cold beer! :)

Bearhunter: Nah, they don't make good pets, especially now in the summertime when the days are so long...They have a tendency to turn to stone in daylight... + they're afraid of my dog.... ;)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #276 on: June 03, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »
LOL!  If I didn't need a new mountainbike I'ld be on a plane right now.  Kelly only allows so much spending...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »
All I can say is WOW! I am really amazed at the creativity and thought that you all have put into these. I am really impressed folks! You guys rock, can't wait to see the winners in use. All I have ever had stuffed in my grenade pouches are compasses and, well, grenades. I really didn't think they could fit so much.

I especially love all the little pots that are coming up. For those who used an aluminum bottle for theirs, are they just cut down energy drink bottles? Or something a little thicker?

I think you all have stumbled onto a new survival kit staple that just might rival the "altoids tin kits" in popularity in the near future!
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #278 on: June 15, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE, THERE WILL BE NO MORE ENTRIES

The entry phase if this contest is now officially closed.

I have started a new thread for the express purpose of voting on the entries from this thread.

http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/topic,6139.new.html#new

I would ask that on the voting thread each person post once and only once with the name of the person who's Grenade Pouch kit is the top entry.

Please limit your comments on the voting thread to your choice, no extraneous comments, you are welcome to continue to comment on this thread.

Any votes posted on this thread will not be counted. 

Thanks to all the participants.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #279 on: June 15, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
As  noob, I just found this thread, and went thru all the entries......and I gotta say, very creative stuff.
Thanks.

Would like to see the method used for SS bottle cut down as a pot, from some one....very cool.

I guess all minds work alike, as I have been using a similar pouch, GI first aid type for a lot of years....but like the smaller one.

Good stuff guys/gals
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #280 on: June 15, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
I enjoyed looking at everybody's entry I was thinking about putting a kit in but there is one entry in particular that is almost identical to the one I wanted to put together so I decided not to put in a survival pouch that was already entered...  Good luck to all the entries!   

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
I'm still on the fence as far as voting.  You guys did a great job putting these kits together.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
I'm inspired now to try and find one of those grenade pouches and then steal umm emulate the best ideas from all the entrants. Nice work folks you should all be proud of making them up. I hope you get out to use them under controlled conditions.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
I'm inspired now to try and find one of those grenade pouches and then steal umm emulate the best ideas from all the entrants. Nice work folks you should all be proud of making them up. I hope you get out to use them under controlled conditions.

I know a guy who knows a guy 8).  If you want one I still have a few available for a modest price.

PM me if you're interested.

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
Binalith

Where did you get this gem? 

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n581/obee508/IMAG1275_zps176d2a27.jpg

that Bento knife....deets please.

Awesome kits everyone.  ive been absent from the craft for a bit and missed this contest.  good luck to everyone and madmax. 
OINK!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
Count down has begun.   Suck it up boys...
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
I believe I owe someone a prize. If that person could PM me with an address I will get this out as soon as I am able.

I am very, very glad this continued on in my absence. I owe it to the wonderful members of this forum, but especially to Wilderbeast and PW (and Madmax for being the crazy bugger to use the winning kit). I haven't gone through the forum yet to see if the trip went as planned and if it went well. In fact, this has been my first stop on the forum. I feel dreadful for disappearing, but.. C'est la vie.

And, it's nice to have interwebs again. Long story, won't get into it publicly.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »
Nice to have you back
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
+1 Glad to have you back with us Rog!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Kit Contest: A Holy Hand Grenade's Worth of Survival
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
Great to see you back ROG :cheers:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #290 on: August 21, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
Thanks fellas. :)