Author Topic: Kit Contest: A Holy Hand Grenade's Worth of Survival  (Read 101044 times)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: Kit Contest: A Holy Hand Grenade's Worth of Survival
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »
I don't know if I like the idea of gum.  I'm going to have to chew on it a bit. 

Sorry.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
That got a chuckle.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »
boo.

funny, but boo, so as not to be encouraging
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
ok here's mine:

Bento knife with fork
small compass, 2 split rings
8 feet of para (5 strand)
bunch of fishing line
brass wire
fatwood
cork
half of a magnesium/sparker rod
spy capsule full of magnesium shavings from sawing it in half
3 fish hooks
weighted quick attach
4 lead crimp weights (in the black tape)
2 band aids
ranger band (bike tube)
altoids tin, punched for charcloth
space blanket

yeehaw

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
Outstanding job on these kits everybody!

I find it really impressive what you all have stuffed into these things!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
More awesome kits keep coming with some interesting ideas. Great job everyone!
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
Bump for the stragglers and a big high five for all the kits posted so far. 

Everyone is going above and beyond on creativity. 
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
Hey now.. theres some serious thought behind that gum...    :P

McGyver used it for many things.  Gum and wrapper.   

But.. gum is good for staving off hunger pains.   If its a peppermint flavor it helps with calming down stomach aches.   And if you have troubles with sugars it will kick in the thought of eating and help with that too. ( doc told me that).

ANd I have to agree..  that beef jerky looks delish!   

WW.

I thought I heard somewhere that gum can make you hungrier. I heard it tricks your stomach into thinking it's getting food (juices and whatnot from gum), so the acid starts churning preparing for the food that never comes... This would make you more hungry and have excess acid.

I could be wrong, though...

mmmmm. jerky...
What's that smell?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Kit Contest: A Holy Hand Grenade's Worth of Survival
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
Great kit, by the way, Binalith!

Tapatalked from my batphone.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
Got my pouch today. Going to be up all might playing with contents and arrangements. Will post pics before morning... Thanks Wilderbeast and everyone else. Great kits.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
Wow Zammer the beef jerky was pretty cool! I think the only way to top that would be.... bacon! :D

great kits so far. I will see if
I can get mine done real quick. I think I have the necessary items I planned to include all at the house now finally.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »
Wow Zammer the beef jerky was pretty cool! I think the only way to top that would be.... bacon! :D

great kits so far. I will see if
I can get mine done real quick. I think I have the necessary items I planned to include all at the house now finally.

LOL...yea well had I used bacon I would have eaten it before I got a chance to put it in the pouch... :D
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »
Ok, finally got a chance to put one together. Though I am sad to say I neglected to include any first aid or chemical water purifying tablets. :(

The contents are:

A cut down beer bottle. This was one of the thick aluminum bottles, thicker than a can. I sanded the rim so it won't snag on the pouch or be uncomfortable to drink from. Can be used for cooking and drinking, and collecting water from seeps or vines, among other things. A bit on the small side for boiling water for purification purposes, but it is better than nothing.

A slow cooker liner bag. This bag holds a few quarts, and is heat resistant so it can be used to boil in. Best way to use it would be to fashion a frame of sticks to hold it open and use the rock boiling method. Can be used for storage, transport, and purification of water, as well as cooking.

Wenger Swiss Army Backpacker. Saw, large and small blades, can opener, screwdriver, awl and corkscrew.

1/4"x3" ferro rod wrapped with 18' of braided polypropylene cordage. Not as strong as paracord but it is tough stuff and it fits.

Mini bic lighter.

Mini liquid filled compass.

Small "cord end" whistle.

Book of matches in zipper storage bag.

Chicken and beef bouillon cubes in sandwich bag.

Capsule with snare/utility wire (can make bail for pot or snares, etc.) on spool, fishing line (spider wire) on spool, split shot sinkers, perch hooks wrapped in tape, snap swivels, needles, and small bit of jute for tinder. Jute could be soaked in bouillon to make a fish attractant (possibly).

Tea light candle.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
That's a good looking kit PW :thumbsup:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2013, 05:26:03 PM »
Well, This really was a Challenge for me. I just kept down sizing all the stuff I wanted in the kit.

Here it is closed.

Here are the altoids contents.
Cotton pads, small magnesium ferro rod fire starter, Peanut lighter, (The fluid has been in there a solid 2 years and it still lit right up.), 50 ft of mechanics wire .040 ga. Plastic vial with fish lure bell sinker and 3 split shots.12 foot leader 30lbs test., a bar of soap and three dehydrated compressed towels. a fourth in the pouch. I have a magnetized needle too it's sitting on a stack of neodymium magnets overnight so not pictured.

all inside the tin

Out side the tin is a poncho, Gerber paraframe, small bottle of purell hand sanitizer, A signal mirror, 3 band aides, Spool of dental floss, a small ziplock with salt and pepper. I guess I could put the mirror inside the tin and maybe add cordage to the pouch?

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »
Well, This really was a Challenge for me. I just kept down sizing all the stuff I wanted in the kit.

Here it is closed.

Here are the altoids contents.
Cotton pads, small magnesium ferro rod fire starter, Peanut lighter, (The fluid has been in there a solid 2 years and it still lit right up.), 50 ft of mechanics wire .040 ga. Plastic vial with fish lure bell sinker and 3 split shots.12 foot leader 30lbs test., a bar of soap and three dehydrated compressed towels. a fourth in the pouch. I have a magnetized needle too it's sitting on a stack of neodymium magnets overnight so not pictured.

all inside the tin

Out side the tin is a poncho, Gerber paraframe, small bottle of purell hand sanitizer, A signal mirror, 3 band aides, Spool of dental floss, a small ziplock with salt and pepper. I guess I could put the mirror inside the tin and maybe add cordage to the pouch?

Very nice kit, glad to see the pouch arrived.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
Great looking kits PW  &  XJ35s. More great ideas in Both kits.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
Nice going boys, good to see your additions... :thumbsup:

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
Nice going boys, good to see your additions... :thumbsup:
+1!

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »

OK...so when this went up, I thought "hey cool!  This can be fun and I have a kit already made that will fit right in there!"
[/size]
[/size]Well...yeah, I think I still own that kit...but I sure as hell can't find it! 
[/size]
[/size]So, I got this tossed together tonight (amidst kids, school, work, visitors, neighbor kids, looming deadlines, wife re-arranging the house...still, and trying to get a pile of parts replaced on my Suburban so I can pass the state safety inspection and get it registered.
[/size]
[/size]So...hopefully the time has not fallen yet!  'Cuz here is what I got foraged together...
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Yes, it is snapped shut:
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]...and yes, it is stuffed!
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Contents:
[/size]
[/size]Pouch, tin can container, ramen soup mix for salts and flavor, hot sauce 'cus survival doesn't need to be suffering...besides, Cholula can make cockroaches taste good.  Followed by some powdered lemonade mix: this is Crystal Light because it is what I have.  It should be a not-sugar-free brand IMHO...but this is the sport mix with Gator-aide like stuff in it. 
[/size]Next is a small glass jar (yes glass...thick mustard bottle glass that can be knapped into a point or blade if need be) with a inner tube band to cushion it.  Inside resides a pile of small treble hooks for fishing or snares.  (hey, in a survival situation, hooks on a snare is definitely NOT cheating!) It has about 50 feet of 10 lb fishing line wrapped around the neck like a hobo reel and another band to secure it.  Inside are also iodine tabs and vaseline-soaked cotton balls.
[/size]Under that is a big safety pin...for things that one would need a safety pin for: closing large, gushing wounds, as a closure on a tattered jacket that was ripped up to use as a snake-bite tourniquet, or just fer pickin yer teech after chowin' a barbacoa'ed gator...or a cockroach and worm salad.
[/size]Next is a roll of orange line...about 40 feet.  Or maybe 20, I really don't remember.  I was going to use a roll of 25' of cat5 cable, which had four twisted pairs of solid copper wire for about 200 feet of line total....but I can't find my thrashed cat5 cable...it's in my other survival kit.
[/size]Then there are a couple of inner-tube rubber lines, because I can...they fit.
[/size]THe barlow style knife was a last-minute choice...my BSA knife would not fit.  Thought it would have been appropriately punny (be prepared!) but oh well.  I did need to include something robust enough to really use, so I went with the barlow over my SAK's as it is a bit tougher, sharper and both blades are fully usable as well as it is easier to hold on to and doesn't snap shut as easy.  ...and my good little lock-blade is in my work pants and I'm too tired to go fetch it.
[/size]Alcohol pads, MRE matches and a Air Force survival spark striker are next.  Also is one of my cartridge shell tinder matches with a band to hold it together.  The white plastic bundle is the cotton balls that fist in the glass mustard jar. 
[/size]Last is a bottlecap.  Yup, a bottle cap.  My son and I found out it makes pretty decent shavings for tinder bundles on soft wood and dry inner bark...with a much lower chance of cutting one's self.  Plus you have a bottlecap if you find a bottle that needs capping...or an eye patch, or a bow-drill socket, or a tooth pick for missing teeth, or a thimble for field-made sewing needles, or bait for a racoon trap, a tiny soup bowl, tie a stick to it for a spoon...or about anything else one can think of.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
Dunno about the /size hashes...fat-fingered the keyboard and formatting went all to hades....sorry.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »
Wow, Gryphon, reading that list made me tired! Man, how'd you fit all that shtuff in there?!?

Great job!!

:thumbsup:

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2013, 03:53:08 AM »
Another great looking kit there Gryphon.

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
my turn!

packed up:

the stuff:

Contents (top left --> bottom right):
space blanket
1 gallon plastic freezer bag
fishing kit (see next pic)
band-aids
emergency whistle
matches + firestraws in little ziplock baggie
duct tape wrapped around a straw containing some dangerous white crystals (salt ;))
SAK with just a blade and a bottleopener (good little knife)
unknown length of nylon twine.

fishing kit:

contents:
fishingline on a bobbin
some hooks
2 swivels
1 red ant fly

That kit should work fine for me most of the year.... Maybe add some more band-aids... :)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »
Cool container idea for the fishin kit jontok.

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Thanks. :)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
Great kits guys! :thumbsup:

This has been a fun read to see everything people come up with.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
wow mine is pretty bare bones compared to some of these ritzy pouch palaces! well done guys

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
all right! nice kits everyone!!!!

so who's still left to make a kit? i'm itching to see these bad boys put to use by two of B&B's finest!
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »
all right! nice kits everyone!!!!

so who's still left to make a kit? i'm itching to see these bad boys put to use by two of B&B's finest!

There are still a few folks who haven't gotten their kits posted yet. 

No need for anyone to rush, we are looking at a late spring date for this.  It's still wintery in the North Carolina mountains.  I had a foot of snow last week.

As to two of B & B's finest, Max for sure. 

I still have some pouches that I will mail out for the cost of postage if anyone else wants to join in.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
jontok, nice kit! I like that little knife!

This is a really thread! :thumbsup:

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »
late spring huh? maybe we'll have a virginia summer time round 2... i wonder if U.W. would be willing to go out in the sticks with my dumbass for a weekend with just two pouches...

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
late spring huh? maybe we'll have a virginia summer time round 2... i wonder if U.W. would be willing to go out in the sticks with my dumbass for a weekend with just two pouches...

We'll definitely have a second get together this summer.  As to U.W. two pouches is two more than he needs.  The man has skills.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2013, 04:54:16 AM »
Great kits guys. As a BnB noob I'm not eligible for the competition, but since I use a MOLLE grenade pouch to carry my PSK here it is (again ;) ):

Note that my pouch has been modded with an additional snap on the front, allowing me to carry a transpiration bag folded up under the Otterbox. Oh, and since I don't like camo belt pouches, it's been hit with some OD spray paint which has half worn off over the years. Apart from that, it's a stock standard SDS MOLLE II grenade pouch in Woodland Camouflage Cordura.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2013, 05:17:37 AM »
Great looking kit Jontok.

Wow, Great looking kit Buzzacott! I like the idea of of the extra snap to extend the pouch to allow the otterbox. The otterbox keeps the kit dry and organized.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2013, 07:36:29 AM »
Buzz, nice maaaaaate! Great lookin kit! Thanks for sharing!

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
Here's one I put together especially for Madmax!
I stuffed it full with all the...eh...stuff I'd like to see him use to survive a night out.  8)

Packed up.

Opened up:

GOOD LUCK!!!!  >:D

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »
Madmax might let Wilderbeast use that kit! LOL

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
Lol, Jon it's April 2 already! :D

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
jontok wins.  LOL.   :shrug:
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
Lol, Jon it's April 2 already! :D
We're in April?
(I haven't been paying attention....)

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »
***high fives Jontok*** Good one!  :) 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »
When is the drawing? or did I miss it?

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
When is the drawing? or did I miss it?

You haven't missed it.

We are going to run this until everyone who wants to participate has a chance (within reason). 

Why rush it when everyone is having so much fun? 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »
Awesome. So I can redo mine? I'll post here but consider it not an entry as I already posted one?

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
Awesome. So I can redo mine? I'll post here but consider it not an entry as I already posted one?

Sure, go for it.  :)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
I'm glad to hear the contest is still going...  I'm going to try to get my entry in if I can get my hands on one of those Holy Hand Grenade Pouch!  I'm gunna hook you up Madmax!   :thumbsup:

Offline Wilderbeast

• Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »
I sent out a grenade pouch this week so there is a least one more entry to go.  If anyone else wants to participate I can send you a pouch for the cost of shipping.

I found a few more.  8)

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
Wow, we're still going! Look at all the great stuff here!!

I'm happy we're still going! I feel as if I should give each of you something, if I can. And, I'd love to see more kits!!!
"My common sense is tingling..."