Author Topic: Buttermilk Biscuit Mix  (Read 2711 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »
Ingredients

8 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups buttermilk blend powder
4 tablespoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/3 cups shortening

Directions

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Makes 13.5 cups

To use mix:   2 c. Buttermilk mix
                     7 Tbs. water
  In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and water just until blended. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a lightly floured 3-in. biscuit cutter.
  Makes 8 biscuits.

WW
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:45:31 PM by WoodsWoman »
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »

Woodswoman,  what do you do if you have a recipe that calls for butter milk and you don't have any ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »
Moe,  I have a tub of powdered Buttermilk in my fridge at all times.   

I know theres another trick on putting something into milk to make sour milk too...but right off the top of my head I'm not sure if its vinegar or lemon juice? 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
Moe,  I have a tub of powdered Buttermilk in my fridge at all times.   

I know theres another trick on putting something into milk to make sour milk too...but right off the top of my head I'm not sure if its vinegar or lemon juice? 

WW.

Right you are,  2 tablespoons of white vinegar to one cup of milk,  let stand at room temp for 20 minutes,  then use it in any recipe as a substitute for butter milk.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
I had an iggly feeling that was a trick question.  :)     Thanks for the specifics on how to make it.

I was just sitting here thinking on what kind of bush set up one can make for baking out on the fire.   There was a recipe using this mix with added cornmeal to make 'doggy in a biscuit'  but it had to be baked.

WW.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
I had an iggly feeling that was a trick question.  :)     Thanks for the specifics on how to make it.

I was just sitting here thinking on what kind of bush set up one can make for baking out on the fire.   There was a recipe using this mix with added cornmeal to make 'doggy in a biscuit'  but it had to be baked.

WW.

I use my GI mess kit most of the time,  but one of the best methods I've tried is two 8"x 8"x 2" cake pans,  use one as the pan, the other as the cover,  then use a couple of office type paper clips (the ones that are usually black and have folding wire handles) to clamp the edges closed.

Place it by the fire using indirect heat and place a few small coals on the top,  check after fifteen minutes.

PS- I always carry a piece of aluminum foil and one of parchment paper for cooking aids,  for biscuits,  breads, and pastry I line my pans with the parchment on the bottom,  it prevents sticking and eliminates having to scour pans.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:42:20 PM by Moe M. »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
Thats right.. I do remember reading you use those pans.  I'll have to pick up a pair.    I do have aluminum foil..but didnt think of the parchment paper.   Going to put a few squares in there right now. :)

Thanks Moe.

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »
For an even longer shelf life (longer than 6 months) you can substitute an equal amount of Butter Buds(TM) the shortening.

I have two favorite ways of baking biscuits without a Dutch oven: One is a folding Baker's Oven (reflector oven), and the other is to make a tent of tinfoil 3/4 of the way over a cast iron skillet. Point the opening toward the fire and the trapped heat will bake the biscuit tops at the same time the coals bake the bottom. The opening keeps the bread from sweating.

You can even make a reflector oven out of aluminum foil, with a few sticks for a frame.

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »
Thanks for the buttermilk biscuit mix recipe.  If you double the recipe, you can just use a 5-lb bag of flour; that is right at 16 cups.  I have used the dry buttermilk before and it works well. I am all out of biscuit mix; I have a 5-lb bag of flour, so I'll have to try it out.

I have had good luck baking with 2 pie pans clipped together with binder clips.  Also have used my boy-scout messkit and my USGI messkit
...and I'll see you soon!