Author Topic: d.lite S20  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Korrok

• Mill File
d.lite S20
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »
I'm a fan of kerosene/oil hurricane lamps. They burn for a long time, they put of a perfect amount of light as far as i'm concerned, they are cheap, they are pretty bullet proof. However, they are bulky, fuel can be a pain, etc.
Enter the d.lite. It was designed to replace kerosene lanterns in third world countries, I have to say I think it works.

I got one for Xmas & have taken it out a couple times now. The lamp is about the size of a 20oz soda bottle & weighs about half as much. It slipped into a corner of my pack easily & without issue or worry if spilt fuel. The lamp is solar powered & I will say in dappled forest it continued to charge all day (by the indicator lamp) and it has also charged strongly for me on overcast days.
At night it really shines (yes that just happened) the output is actually more than a hurricane lamp. It was certainly enough to read easily by within 10ft or so of the lamp. Manufacturer states the lamp will last 4hrs on high, 8hrs on low. I may well have a defect but I do not notice a difference between either setting. I will say I turn the lamp on at dusk and it was still going at 5am YMMV.
So the gist is in my opinion the d.lite is a compact, light, useful light to replace an oil lamp or similar camp lighting. It would also excell in a tent providing light to read by for all users. It you need a group light or just like to have a lit up camp, I recommend it. Three or four would provide a large work area for prep work, cooking, chores, or just keeping bogies at bay long into the nite.

http://www.dlightdesign.com/productline/s20/

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Re: d.lite S20
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:42:04 AM »
Thanks for the review of the lamp/light. Pretty cool looking light.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
Looks pretty good.  I like the size and the price isn't bad.  It would a good emergency light to have around too.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Derej

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:48:12 AM »
That is a nice looking lantern.

I was looking at these as a double duty light.

http://www.sollight.com/products/lc200.cfm

Kind of the same concept but also a lid.

- Derej
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 - Lao Tzu

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I like this light!
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Korrok

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
That is a nice looking lantern.

I was looking at these as a double duty light.

http://www.sollight.com/products/lc200.cfm

Kind of the same concept but also a lid.

- Derej

I had a lid light made by Guyot gear and I was less than pleased with it. It was good for a marker or a night light of sorts but not enough to really do anything by.
Also passing hippies would continually stop & pick it up & ooo & ahhh over the shadows the water made. ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a reasonable, useful output.

I wonder how many day/night cycles you can get out of the storage battery?

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
d.lite S20
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 02:37:58 PM »
That is awesome! Thanks for the review :)
We're off grid, so this might just be the trick to save $ on kerosene :thumbsup:

ETA... I just ordered one.
Kerosene is going for 38 bucks per 5 gal can, so we figured it was worth a shot. Thanks :)
I've been looking for something similar, but never found what I was looking for.
This just might be it!
It seems that they're a new company.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:29:25 PM by Bearhunter »
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline xune

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
Huh, sounds like a nice little light, just picked myself up one just now.

Because I didn't see a price in the original thread, I figure I'll let everyone know it's only $18.95, so.. 20 bucks. great find, can't wait for mine to arrive!
I'll tell you what hermits realizes. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 05:03:51 AM »
I'm interested like PW on life cycle of battery. This looks to be an item that I would get a few of. Bearhunter please let us know how they perform at your homestead. Sounds like it will be used a lot in daily/nightly life.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
d.lite S20
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
I'm interested like PW on life cycle of battery. This looks to be an item that I would get a few of. Bearhunter please let us know how they perform at your homestead. Sounds like it will be used a lot in daily/nightly life.

Thanks in advance!
No problem SH :)
I should get it next week and I'll defiantly keep you guys updated ;)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
Looks interesting....
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
d.lite S20
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:30:06 PM »
I got the light on Wednesday.

First impressions...
It's well built. Overall it seems to be a quality light that can take a beating.
It's not flimsy at all, it's a very sturdy product.
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised :)
It came charged, we used it a little on Wednesday night, then we use it for several hours last night.
I placed it outside yesterday to charge, it was mostly cloudy out, but the light worked fine for several hours last night. It never seemed to dim at all.
We hung it up above our bed (that's where we 'hang out' in the evenings when were reading and such), on the low setting, it produced plenty of light for us to read by.
We didn't use one of our kerosene lanterns last night, so it's already saving us $ 8)

So as of now... I defiantly give it a :thumbsup:

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »

First impressions...
It's well built. Overall it seems to be a quality light that can take a beating.
It came charged, we used it a little on Wednesday night, then we use it for several hours last night.
I placed it outside yesterday to charge, it was mostly cloudy out, but the light worked fine for several hours last night. It never seemed to dim at all.
We hung it up above our bed (that's where we 'hang out' in the evenings when were reading and such), on the low setting, it produced plenty of light for us to read by.
We didn't use one of our kerosene lanterns last night, so it's already saving us $ 8)

Thats good ta know thanx BH. .i posted that on my idespensible essential thread awhile back and gonna get me one 'cept they want $ 40 bucks at amazon.ca here wtf !? it would prolly be cheaper for me to order one from the US
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
d.lite S20
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »

First impressions...

Thats good ta know thanx BH. .i posted that on my idespensible essential thread awhile back and gonna get me one 'cept they want $ 40 bucks at amazon.ca here wtf !? it would prolly be cheaper for me to order one from the US
I would think it would be cheaper.
Ours was around $24 shipped.

It was shipped from California.

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »

First impressions...

I would think it would be cheaper.
Ours was around $24 shipped.

It was shipped from California.

Actually its $41.99 plus tax plus shipping so yup, cheaper to order from the US for cunucks as is lots of stuff

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dlight#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=d.light+s10+solar+led+lantern&sprefix=d.light%2Caps%2C234&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ad.light+s10+solar+led+lantern

and thats for the small one. .YIKES !!
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
BH, did you order right from their website?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
d.lite S20
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
BH, did you order right from their website?
I did Wolfy. They shipped really quick too :)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
Looks cool. Reminds me of a set of solar landscape lights I have. My lawn lights have been going for 2 years now.

Creek
Axes Rock!