Author Topic: Newspaper Grill - seriously!  (Read 16687 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Newspaper Grill - seriously!
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
Bearhunter's thread on the Lodge Sportsman's Grill made me think of this.

This is no joke! I have had one, and used it for going on 35 years. I have cooked hamburgers beyond number, as well as pork steaks, pork chops and rib steaks. 10-12 crumpled up newspaper sheets will give you the heat and time to cook that steak easily.

Anybody else ever even hear of these?

Fridge Xone Grill
Incredible Newspaper Burning Grill !
This amazing little barbecue cooks five times faster than charcoal using ordinary newspaper.  The Convenient carry bag boasts a leak-proof built in cooler for hamburger, chicken breasts, hotdogs etc.  Newspaper is made from natural organic elements that are non-toxic, paper is just wood pulp and printer's ink is made with soybean.   What's more the grill is portable, collapsible and stores easily.

The Convenient black carry bag provides easy transport. It's perfect for picnics, camping, tailgate parties, beach parties or just barbecuing in the back yard. Large imprint area on bags is ideal for placement of company logos. A great promotional item

Key Benefits
  • Cooks 5 Times Faster
     Than Charcoal
  • Convenient Carry Bag
  • Fast & Easy Clean Up
  • Better For The Environment
  • Portable Collapsible, Easy To Store
  • Food Tastes Great - Newspaper Burns Clean & Safe
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Newspaper Grill - seriously!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
If the ink really is non toxic to burn it looks like a neat grill. Newspapers will be all but gone in another ten years I think. Pretty cool design with the insulatd carrier. :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
I have.  I even considered buying one a long time ago, but never knew anybody that had one.  They make perfect sense to me.....newspaper is wood :P.   The stuff I read on them says burgers and steaks work really well because of the drippings adding to the taste and are good fuel, too.   

So, you're saying it's "Ol' P approved", then?   Where's the best (cheapest) place to get one?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Newspaper Grill - seriously!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
That's pretty darn cool OP :)
I've never heard of such.

ETA...
Yeah OP, where's the best place to pick one up ???
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
I have.  I even considered buying one a long time ago, but never knew anybody that had one.  They make perfect sense to me.....newspaper is wood :P .   The stuff I read on them says burgers and steaks work really well because of the drippings adding to the taste and are good fuel, too.   

So, you're saying it's "Ol' P approved", then?   Where's the best (cheapest) place to get one?
Definitely has my approval! One of the best things is the clean up. Of course you have to wash the rack, but no nasty wood/briquette ash to worry about. When the paper is all burned up, lift up the grill, and if a natural breeze doesn't police up the area for you, just wave your hat a couple times.  ;D

Just think of this thing as a really, really big charcoal chimney lighter like you use when BBQ'ing.  A half dozen wads of newspaper starts your briquettes/charcoal. 15 wads cooks your dinner!

I don't know about buying one, Wolfy. I'd actually like to replace mine with a new one. Mine looks like it's been through a few wars, and a couple forest fires. A little rust here and there after 3 decades.  That site where I stole the info/pic didn't give any shopping guide.

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
That will be obsolete soon as all the newspapers are going out of business or going to the interweb.  Local news is a thing of the past in some cities. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
That will be obsolete soon as all the newspapers are going out of business or going to the interweb.  Local news is a thing of the past in some cities. 
I'd better start saving newspapers then, too.....my wife will be SO pleased!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »
I still have ours. I would say about 30 years,maybe...It is in our "over the cab" P/U camper. Used it many times & it works excellent. Particularly when you are in an area that has been picked clean of burnable wood & just want a quick grilled meal. We've done steak, burgers, fish & even done chicken on it.
:)

They actually work pretty darned good!
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:36:57 PM »
I'll try to drag it out tomorrow & take a pic. Maybe even cook something on it..
I been hankerin for a steak.
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
I just looked in my shed, and if I can do some quick math, the bundles of newspapers I have in there should be god for about 1,734 meals.  :P

But I guess rather than buy a new one, I should also sell my motor cars, since they will also be obsolete as soon as that new Swedish aero-car catches on. 
 :sarcasm:

I found one retailer so far:

http://www.throwthings.com/item.asp?id=266

Here's one in action. Polish sausage in 6 minutes. And I forgot about the filleted trout! Done several nice fish on ours.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »
I DID do a burger on top of a charcoal chimney with wadded up newsprint and one of those fold-over steak grills one time to try the concept.  Worked tolerably well, but it needed more air and the heat was a little short ???

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
My mom got one after having hand surgery so she didn't have to carry the bag of briquettes.  I remember thinking it probably wouldn't work very well, but the food cooked on it tasted great!!  I'll have to see if she still has it.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
I DID do a burger on top of a charcoal chimney with wadded up newsprint and one of those fold-over steak grills one time to try the concept.  Worked tolerably well, but it needed more air and the heat was a little short ???

I've used a charcoal chimney also Wolfy,  while car camping I got to looking at it one day and thought to myself that it wasn't much different than my small 'Vous braiser,  so I filled the bottom with news paper,  and added small sticks to the body of it where the charcoal usually goes.  I lit her up and it worked as well as any stick stove i've seen on the forums.
  I cut a grill top for it out of small cooling rack and used it often for making coffee and instant soups.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
Well... The missus put the "Kibosh" on cooking any steaks tonite,since we have "leftovers" that need to be eaten up before anything new is cooked...
Old rule in our house... I should have known better... My enthusiasm got the better of me it seems...
 :-\ 

But I am still hankerin for a steak.. lol
 ;)

Here are a few pics. I only took 2 of the grill. One of the box, & one of the grill "in the box". The last pic shows what we paid about 20-25 years ago at the local downtown hardware store. Only store in town for this type of stuff without driving 15-30 miles one way... You support the community & what goes around comes around.. Even if ya don'tlike what ya pay.. they are gonna pay you back at one time or another....

(BTW... I was corrected by the missus on that also when she asked me why I was taking pictures of the old newspaper grill. I thought closer to 30. she said, "Nope, more like 20 to 25 or so years old.".
 ???
Of course...no argument from me... since I enjoy having a "date" once in a while... The alternative would be a bummer... ( I have heard that some say," Resistance is futile"... Waalll....I figure it depends on what ya want out of life...LOL   Besides.. . She thinks I am "Nuts" for taking pictures of an old grill anyway...
 ;)

So, according to her...it is more likely 20-25 years. Ain't life with a good woman a great thing?
;)

Here are the pics...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
Nice!  You either take a lot better care of your stuff than I do, or you've used it a lot less.  :-[   Mine has been ridden hard, and put up wet by the looks of it.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »
I was just talking to the missus & we decided maybe 15-20 times that we've used it. A couple of times was at "getogethers" at a local park with some family & friends.  The parks permanent grills were already taken... so we "kinda" bent the rules by grilling & not using the park grills... {Ooops.. lol like that has never happened.}  I know that 3 o r4 times we have used it on trips out to Va. to visit family & we stayed in a RV campground once & got some shut eye in a wayside rest or two & it came in handy to use to cook a bit, with no firewood handy & all.A few times on the ice, when out icefishing & we were a long way from shore & any wood was further away than anyone wanted to go haul.

So, not to many times over the years...but it sure is a handy doggone grill & would make a heckuva present for folks as a B-day, or wedding present...if they like grillin a lot without too much muss or fuss.
:D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 06:13:43 PM »
They've gone up a little since you got yours, MnS......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-NEWSPAPER-BURNING-BBQ-GRILL-Quick-and-Easy-NEW-IN-BOX-/360528573888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f12d75c0

I don't think they make 'em anymore, but $80 ?  :doh:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:35 PM »
I fully expect to see an infomercial soon on this appliance.  It will be some guy with an accent screaming about this amazing device that cooks five times faster than charcoal and uses what most families either throw out or recycle.

I am quite concerned about the demise of newspapers as my primary source of insulation, fireplace starting, and wrapping paper consists of the weekly newspaper. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
They've gone up a little since you got yours, MnS......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-NEWSPAPER-BURNING-BBQ-GRILL-Quick-and-Easy-NEW-IN-BOX-/360528573888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f12d75c0

I don't think they make 'em anymore, but $80 ?  :doh:

That guy on eBay is dreaming. They aren't easy to find, but the link I posted earlier has them right now for $37.72.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Very cool little grill!  I had never heard of them before you started this thread, OP.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 08:02:40 PM »
Missed the link, Ol P :-[.   I'll bet I can make one out of a wastebasket and use a step drill to drill the holes....I've already got a grill like that.  Most likely the total expenditure will be around $3.72 O:-)

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 08:13:41 PM »
I never seen any of these before. Interestin'!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
Missed the link, Ol P :-[ .   I'll bet I can make one out of a wastebasket and use a step drill to drill the holes....I've already got a grill like that.  Most likely the total expenditure will be around $3.72 O:-)
I was thinking one of those little 10 gallon oil drums for "flash cooking" on the patio on those really hot days.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
Missed the link, Ol P :-[ .   I'll bet I can make one out of a wastebasket and use a step drill to drill the holes....I've already got a grill like that.  Most likely the total expenditure will be around $3.72 O:-)

Put it on 3 cinderblocks on end, so ya don't have to get out of your chair, & you can get to grilling ,Wolfy! Make sure ya take a pic,though. That'd be great!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
 :lol: I just thought of a new way to use my Brinkman bullet smoker!

Offline SwannieBraai

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
  • Willie Landman
    • May the WORS be with you!
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 01:02:51 AM »
I just looked in my shed, and if I can do some quick math, the bundles of newspapers I have in there should be god for about 1,734 meals.  :P

But I guess rather than buy a new one, I should also sell my motor cars, since they will also be obsolete as soon as that new Swedish aero-car catches on. 

Here's one in action. Polish sausage in 6 minutes. And I forgot about the filleted trout! Done several nice fish on ours.

Goodday y'all!

I am the "Mr SwannieBraai" as tthe ycall me here in South Africa.
I am the owner, importer and distributor of this unique "newspaper grill" in SA and other places.
I would love to meet and partner up with someone of company in the USA to have these distributed there bigtime.
Any suggestions from your side please?

My website is www.swanniebraai.co m, all contact detail are there or just mail me here, willie@swanniebraai.com

Thank you so much!
May the WORS be with you!

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 05:20:18 AM »
a bit weird.  Five year old thread updated for spam.  Geez

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 08:17:40 AM »
a bit weird.  Five year old thread updated for spam.  Geez
Glad to see they are still available. I've had mine for almost 50 years (not this guy's obviously) and it still works great.
I'll tell you, this spam might be a message of opportunity to some young guy who could work out an import thing with this supplier. With a little marketing savvy, they might just take off again, considering the increase in people camping and picnicing these days.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »

Goodday y'all!

I am the "Mr SwannieBraai" as tthe ycall me here in South Africa.
I am the owner, importer and distributor of this unique "newspaper grill" in SA and other places.
I would love to meet and partner up with someone of company in the USA to have these distributed there bigtime.
Any suggestions from your side please?

My website is www.swanniebraai.co m, all contact detail are there or just mail me here, willie@swanniebraai.com

Thank you so much!

First, welcome to the forum!

We do have some pretty specific rules about advertising here but in this case, it appears you are here because you traced a link back to our site. I think it's ok since this topic was brought up by one of our members in the normal course of discussion. Thank you for providing more information about your grill.

Maybe try a "kickstarter" campaign to raise funds to begin importation.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
I wouldn't mind replacing my 50 year old grill!  I hope this gentleman keeps us posted.
I went to his site, and he says his inventory is exhausted until 2019.  He suggested some other retailers in S.A., and at least two of them are no longer selling the grills.
I went to the link where I found one previously and they say "out of stock".
Looks like the trail is cold, at least until next year.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
Did you send him a PM. Could be a demonstration model sitting in SA at an OP price :shrug:

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »
Did you send him a PM. Could be a demonstration model sitting in SA at an OP price :shrug:

My antique one is probably still in better shape than any of his "demo" units. :lol:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 03:37:42 PM »
I think this guy is looking for $$$$ to start an operation in the States.  He isn't interested in shipping one over here unless you set up a distributorship. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 08:39:05 PM »
I'm guessing OP " they're still available" link woke the bloke.  All the sudden it was 8 hits / hour. X 1
Or- Maybe not.
  But can you imagine trying to sell someone on the tasty benefits of grilling over an office waste bin? All seems a bit far fetched to me. Now Don't ask me if it was bit bots or hours of searching that found the way here: I don't know.

It's probably my imagination failing me, but a hit of 3,4 honest folks in one spot praising this unit could sound like solid gold.

I'm really looking to the future. I need a distributor in SA for my New smoker/grill that uses old tires as fuel.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »
I'm guessing OP " they're still available" link woke the bloke.  All the sudden it was 8 hits / hour. X 1
Or- Maybe not.
  But can you imagine trying to sell someone on the tasty benefits of grilling over an office waste bin? All seems a bit far fetched to me. Now Don't ask me if it was bit bots or hours of searching that found the way here: I don't know.

It's probably my imagination failing me, but a hit of 3,4 honest folks in one spot praising this unit could sound like solid gold.

I'm really looking to the future. I need a distributor in SA for my New smoker/grill that uses old tires as fuel.

The Safari/Swannibraai paper burning grill actually does work. First thing I ever cooked on it was a pair of pork blade steaks. Juicy!!

In the mean time, here's something you can do with your old tires.   ;D

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 10:11:11 PM »
I'm a working class boy from KY. I have seen such yardarts before. I do understand that the fires in these will cook a meat dish.

So, on the one hand my commentary is based on the quaint notion of cooking food over balled newspaper in a recreational situation.  Of course, One can imagine that there could well be a necessity of use for these units in urban areas of South Africa. On the other hand I am drawing attention to the " tire burning" that continues under the most horrifying of circumstances..... I won't give a webM of a necklacing but it is not as pretty as your tire craft
                                                  -Unknown