Author Topic: POTJIE POTS  (Read 9057 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
POTJIE POTS
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
Does anyone besides me have one of these?

http://potjiepotusa.com/

:stir:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
Re: POTJIE POTS
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
No but i want one.  Been looking at those for a few years.  A different variation on the dutch oven...whereas the do we know was actually designed as an oven to cook other vessels inside of, potjis were developed as a cooking pot from the beginning, not adapted as our beloved do s were.  I beleive they were african in origin...as in continent...possibl y dutch designed as well...i just dont remember right now.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
POTJIE POTS
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
I've often wondered about those. They look like that they would be mighty handy in camp.
I've got a cast iron pot that is similar to those, but a little different.
My wife's uncle gave it to her a few years ago. He never used it and had forgotten where he even got it.
I've never used it either, there are no markings on it and I'm afraid that it might be of Chinese origin  :shrug:

ETA...
What size do you have Wolfy?
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
Exactly!  Here's a page from that same site on their history...

http://potjiepotusa.com/history

And from another site that has some fairly strange recipes....

http://www.potjiekosworld.com/

Ours is a #3, I think.....

http://potjiepotusa.com/potjie-pots-3-leg-best-duty/potjie-pot-size-no-3.html

They're quite heavy for their capacity because the iron is so thick.....MUCH thicker than most ironware that I've been used to!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »
That's really cool Wolfy!  I was reading the information on that page and it mentioned not placing the potjie directly on the flame or heat source because it will weaken the casting.   I wonder what's the difference between them and a regular dutch oven.  Maybe the casting is thinner on the potjie? 

Still, very cool!  Do you all use yours a lot, and what kind of foods do you cook in yours?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »
Yeah, I read that about not putting it directly on a flame....HOGWASH!   That has never been in any of the previous information I've ever seen on them, but it may have something to do with the 'no-name' versions they are now selling, too.  I suspect those are being made in China and the castings aren't as good.  The "BEST DUTY" line are the good ones.  They never even used to sell those Chinese versions! >:(

Thinner castings?....AU CONTRAIRE, MON AMI!   They are 2-3 times thicker than most Dutch Ovens, skillets, griddles, etc. than I've ever seen!  That translates to much heavier, too!  Compare the weights of the different sizes on their webpage....it goes up rapidly, once you get much farther up the line than the #4 ???

We use ours quite a bit for stews, crockpot recipes and it excels at those 'cream-can dinner' type of meals.  I think we use it more than anything for popping popcorn, though.....it's THE BEST popcorn popper I've ever used in a campfire setting.   It's shape is perfect for the job! 8)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
POTJIE POTS
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »
I betcha could make a fine seafood gumbo in on of those ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
It would be the perfect vessel for seafood gumbo, BH....since it's so thick, the temperatures are much easier to keep on an even keel than in thinner pots.  They excel at 'simmer' temperatures and because of their design, very little fuel is necessary to keep them there.   A little smoldering hunk of glowing log under the center will keep them there for a long time.....the heat just follows the rounded bottom and right up the sides.   I think that's why they were so popular in Africa and areas of fuel scarcity with the variety of fuels that were available to them there.  We cooked a 'cream-can' dinner with buffalo chips one time at a shoot we were having over at our friends' buffalo ranch, just to see how it would work.  The tall legs were the secret to the success of that type of fuel, I think.....worked great, too!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 05:08:10 AM »
I don't have one Wolfy, but they look like a good product. I'm gonna consider getting one... Thnx for showing this.I would have never known about them if ya hadn't shared with us here...
 :)

I did notice they sell one of these:

link: http://potjiepotusa.com/potjie-pots-3-leg-best-duty/potjie-grill-a-cooker-203.html

Looks almost like a newspaper grill setup. But at the price,not so good...
 ;)

LOL
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
I've known about them for awhile, but I just have never been able to kick myself over the edge to get one......yet.  ;)
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 01:22:24 PM »
I've known about them for awhile, but I just have never been able to kick myself over the edge to get one......yet.  ;)

Well, my personal opinion is that you should own a Dutch oven first, before spending hard-earned frogskins on a potjie. :shrug:   The DO is more versatile because, as they say, you can do anything in a camp DO that you can do at home in and on your kitchen range. :thumbsup:   The potjie excels as a 'crockpot' slow cooker, 'wet' type cooking, and as a popcorn popper.  Baking a batch of biscuits, for instance, in a potjie would be a quite a feat! O:-)

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
Theres some folks (russian or hungarian or ?) that were camped beside me a few years ago with one of those and i asked them about it and they were kind enough to give me a plate of what they had cooked, which turned out to be beef liver and OMG ! it was the best tastin, most tenderess liver i have ever had the pleasure to ingest . .What got me askin questions in the first place, was every one added a splash of there beer to the pot, then the one guy had a mini canoe type paddle /stir thing and was stirrin that thing like a mad man starit on the fire/coals and the smoke/smell was amazing :drool:
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
POTJIE POTS
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
I think we might save up our penny's and try and get one of those this summer 8)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »

Well, my personal opinion is that you should own a Dutch oven first, before spending hard-earned frogskins on a potjie. :shrug:   The DO is more versatile because, as they say, you can do anything in a camp DO that you can do at home in and on your kitchen range. :thumbsup:   The potjie excels as a 'crockpot' slow cooker, 'wet' type cooking, and as a popcorn popper.  Baking a batch of biscuits, for instance, in a potjie would be a quite a feat! O:-)

I hear ya, wolfy, and that's why I haven't jumped on one of these.  I've got a wonderful DO that unfortunately doesn't see enough use as I usually get out a hard anodized pot for doing soups, stews, etc.  But that flat bottomed, 2 gallon potjie sure is appealing.......

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »

Good advice Wolfy,  personally I find the potjie intriguing,  I've seen 'em,  but never knew what they were called,  and I've never seen the cooker part,  I agree that there isn't much that you can't make in a camp dutch oven or even a covered cast iron pot (home dutch oven ?) that would require having a potjie pot.
  I wouldn't mind having one just to have one,  but i'm not sure that I'd get much use out of it,  I have a long legged covered spider that I used to carry in the camper and more often than not the legs got in the way of storing it and using it,  I ended up giving it to a friend of mine who collects odd cast iron pieces.
  I do have a four legged trivet that has ten inch legs that I use occasionally to cook over coals with a covered legless oven (what the hell does one call a cast iron pot with no legs and a domed lid,  they are advertised as dutch ovens, but ?)  it would end up being just about the same as your potjie,  but it stores easier.

I think i'm rambling again.   :)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
Well, as far as the 'advantages' of the potjie over the camp version of the Dutch oven.......you can kind of get a hint of my take on it from my posts above.   As far as the leg length is concerned, the longer legs of the potjie allow bigger, longer lasting hunks of smoldering wood or buffalo dung to be placed under them.  In cooking a similar meal in a short-legged oven, the coals would have to be renewed more often.  Close monitoring of the pot is not as much of an issue with the potjie.  You could do the same thing with the DO, but you would also need a tripod, grill or something else to allow more room for bigger fuel hunks.   The pot's shape is also ideal for those long-simmering types of meals and they are more efficient for utilizing smaller bits of fuel as the heat just naturally flows up and around their bottoms and sides.

They are MUCH heavier and thicker iron....kind of levels the temperature swings and they hold that heat for a much longer period of time. 

They make me want to try carving a wooden dipper, spoon and stirring paddle, too :stir: :thumbsup:

Offline Potjiepot

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
All,

Just to clarify on the Grill-a-Cooker. The pots are no less inferior to direct heat than any other cast iron pot. The traditional way is to cook directly on coals.

The wording in the description refers to the fact that the pot now has a chimney effect from the coals and have a very even heat distribution on the whole exposed bottom part of the pot.  So you do not get "hot spots"  from a coal that is in direct contact with the bottom of the pot. So conceptually you can look at it as an induction cooking process.

Francois

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »
Spamalama?  Spamalama ding dong?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »
I saw this earlier and it looked like a simple clarification to me. However, registering an account here for the sole purpose of commenting on a product one is selling is contrary to our conduct code. If Francois decides to take up bushcraft or knife making and makes some relevant posts, great. If not, I suspect we won't hear from him again anyway.  :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
Nice goin', Francois.....ya' killed the thread! :pissed: :doh:

I hope the legs break off of your Potjie> :stir: :lol:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
Nice goin', Francois.....ya' killed the thread! :pissed: :doh:

I hope the legs break off of your Potjie> :stir: :lol:

Now that's funny stuff right there,  I didn't know you had a temper Wolfy.    :shrug: :lol: :stir:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »
"Beware the fury of a patient man."

-John Dryden

:tent:

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
I'd like to add one to my collection of fire related goodies. I need a good dutch oven too.  :fire1: I have used neither enough to say I'm good at cooking with them. Would give me good excuse to build a fire and cook over it more often. Don't get no better than "having to build a fire"  :rofl:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
I just joined this party.  And a wet one ensued.

Me likey iron.  >:D
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.