Author Topic: Wenger or Victorinox?  (Read 8288 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Wenger or Victorinox?
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »
 I used to be Wenger only until recently for nostalgic reasons. But the Victorinox knives have tool combinations I really prefer now. I do wish the Victorinox knives had a Wenger style can opener though.

Which of the two SAK makers do you prefer, and why?

Offline H_Talon

• Whetstone +
Re: Wenger or Victorinox?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:07:23 AM »
 I do like the Wenger can opener but my fave is this Victorinox from
swissbianco ... it's a modded (well he builds them with parts from Victorinox)
farmer with a steel for flint and steel, (now I need flint:-)

i like this one not only for the steel but it has a decent saw, and the awl
is not on the back. but folds out like a blade, works great with a fire rod.

I guess that would make it a custom .. hmmm and maybe not :-)

Talon

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:30 AM »
I've been considering going back to using a SAK despite my dislike for plastic scales. The ALOX stuff is fine, but they don't have all the tool options I would prefer in a knife. So, I've come to the decision of a multitool (which is darn heavy) AND a nice locking blade knife. OR... A SAK Fieldmaster, which has all the stuff I'd use on a multitool the most, and then a small locking blade knife (one of the Spydercos from Japan, maybe).

Then again, I might just buy an ECC or Queen liner lock and call it a day. I'm still in that funny classic-vs-modern aesthetic phase.

It's a pickle.

I have yet to see a Wenger tool combo I liked, personally.. But I do like their scales better.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:38 AM »
I am a Victorinox fan. They have what I want and seem very well made . I would try Wenger but haven't found one that I like.

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:25:50 AM »
I have only used several models of Victorinox so I cannot directly compare.   I've read back and forth on the net which is preferred, etc etc.  To me, its the same, Honda versus Toyoya, Coke versus Pepsi, etc. that goes on between close competitors.  I think I read somewhere that they are both now owned by the same entity, I am assuming they are keeping their same individual processing equipment, materials, etc. as before

My favorite is the Victorinox One Handed Trekker. Wenger has a similiar model called the Ranger.  Both come in serrated and non serrated versions, I believe. Not sure if the grind is the same on both models. If anyone wants to see a comparison.

I guess it all come down to which has the look and the tool selection on a particular model.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:03:17 AM by fire steel 703 »
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline Nelson

• Whetstone +
  • aka Bill510c
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:31:35 AM »
Victorinox. Only SAKs I have had in my life. First one gifted to me from my father as a boy and it stuck.
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bradleybuckman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
I've only ever owned or really handled the Victorinox, so I can't really comment on the Wenger, although from just looking at them, they appear pretty much the same. To me, they are the best pocket knife you can get for the price. My daily carry is an Alox Farmer , and I have several others at home that get a little use now and again. I still remember getting my first one for Christmas when I was young and just getting into Boy Scouts. I remember how badly I wanted it and how exciting it was when I unwrapped the box and saw what was in it.
My ambition is handicapped by laziness.

Half Axe

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
Victorinox.  I have a One Hand Trekker; I like the blade configuration for ease of one hand opening, and the blade takes and holds an edge reasonably well (I have the plain edge version).  I always am using the screwdriver tools for working on gear.  I agree that the can opener could be improved, but I rarely use it.  I use the small screwdriver tip on the can opener a lot.  For opening cans, I usually use the military P-38 can opener I always carry in my pocket.  I have never owned or used a Wenger - they are hard to find around here, and I don't buy pocket knives unless I can pick them up and make sure everything works satisfactorily.  My daughter is a certified EMT and volunteer firefighter.  I bought her one of the Victorinox Swiss Rescue Tools for Christmas.  She really likes it and it goes everywhere with her.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
Until I saw this post, I did not know about Wegner SAKs.  I checked them out a little on the web.  I have had only Victorinox so I can not compare, however, from looking at pictures, I think I like the Wegner can opener better.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline hughewil

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »
I have and use both.

I like the Wenger can opener better and it is the best ferro rod striker I have ever used, even better than the awl on my alox pioneer.

But when heading outdoors for anything longer than the day I actually carry my Huntsman in my pocket because of the saw blade.

I need to get a Wenger with a saw.
My Youtube Channel
Beckerhead #127

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
Until I saw this post, I did not know about Wegner SAKs.  I checked them out a little on the web.  I have had only Victorinox so I can not compare, however, from looking at pictures, I think I like the Wegner can opener better.

Now that I actually looked at my 2 SAKs that I carry daily, I found that I have a Wenger and a Victorianox. 

I like them both!

Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
I've not owned a Wenger that I can recall. Not from any real preference for Victorinox, but rather, they just don't seem to be sold around here as much.
I do prefer the Victorinox can opener (better yet, am a huge fan of the combo tool - can/bottle opener/screwdriver found on models like the Waiter) and I like spear points over clip points.

Quality is the same in both brands (same company now after all). I can detect no differences between the a Wenger or Vic made old style Soldier/SI.

"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »
I think they compliment each other well.  I like the Evo line's scales, but generally prefer Alox Vic's when I grab a SAK from my knife box. 
"I'm outdoors, you know." George Thorogood.
Member #94!

Offline sidecarr

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
Ive always had the Victorinox, from what I understand Voctorinox brought Wegner a couple of years ago

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »
I've had both  the pretty much  compare pretty equal to me far as quality etc I like'em both
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »
Mine are Vickys, only because that's what I have.

I want a farmer, but man, those things are like 50 bucks and I never see them in a store to save the king's ransom they are charging for shipping these days. 

I really don't care which brand myself...both make a quality product IMHO.  I'm more concerned with trying to find one with the awl on the end and a saw.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »

I want a farmer, but man, those things are like 50 bucks and I never see them in a store to save the king's ransom they are charging for shipping these days. 

Amazon has them for $26 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Farmer-Pocket-Silver-Ribbed/dp/B0007QCOO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333139700&sr=8-1
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
Coolness, thanks.  Probably try to trade for one someday.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline econnofoot

• Whetstone
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
I use both, I think Victorinox is a better product for the most part.  But these look kinda sexy.  ;)

http://www.wengerna.com/blackout-evogrip-10-16837
"I once Saw a Stripper in Amsterdam do the Scandi-Grind"