Author Topic: Supercat Stove and Firebucket  (Read 2305 times)

Offline moa_shooter

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Mill File+
Supercat Stove and Firebucket
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
Made a supercat stove, a simmer stove and a firebucket stove that will work for alcohol and wood.   The whole concept was invented by Jim Wood and is explained on his excellent website.  Here are the pics

It all nests inside my aluminum pot.

The firebucket is made from stainless steel sheet for durability, esp. when used in wood fuel mode.  The two pegs can be inserted in the bottom holes and the grate placed on top to support the stove.  The pegs can also be placed in the top holes for wood mode. Here is is all layed out.

The supercat stove sits on the elevated platform and the pot sits on top.  The system is all explained on Jim's website.

Boiling water.

Wood Mode

The grate is not needed to support the pot and the stakes make a good support for the kindling.

Boiling water.

The grate can be used if you want to grill.

For wood mode I found that there wasn't sufficient ventilation so I propped up the edge of the support to allow more air inside.  The reason there aren't more ventilation holes is that apparently it would cause too much turbulence when used in alcohol mode.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:52:32 PM by moa_shooter »
"... fire is like a child that needs to be protected, respected, cared for, and ultimately, loved and appreciated." - Les Stroud

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Supercat Stove and Firebucket
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »
That's a neat piece of kit you've got there MOA... :thumbsup:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: Supercat Stove and Firebucket
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »
Pretty neat! Thanks for showing it, I haven't seen one like that one before.
:thumbsup:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »
Nice build!  Thanks for sharing.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
Thank you for showing your set up and adding a link to learn how to make one.   :) 

I really like the different options of using this cooking set up.   

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline RoadLessTraveled

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
Very nice stove!  I'd not seen this before.  Thanks for showing it!

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
Modular, versatile, and all fits in a neat package. Very cool! :thumbsup:
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline Derej

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
The CatStove is a fun project.

I really like the nice clean lines on your set up. Cant argue with a good looking stove and stand.

I made one myself awhile back and it works wonders for boiling water for hydrating meals or coffee/tea. I haven't made the firebucket yet but I like how yours compacts up inside the pot.

How big is your pot? My solo stove is fairly stout(short and wide is good for alcohol stoves) MSR Stowaway pot and I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to have it fit all inside.

- Derej
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 - Lao Tzu

Offline moa_shooter

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.

...I haven't made the firebucket yet but I like how yours compacts up inside the pot.

How big is your pot? ...

The pot measures approximately four inches high to the rim and six inches in diameter.  I picked it up at the local Goodwill for $2.99 and it's actually a pretty good little pot that appears to have been made quite a while ago in Canada.  Here's a picture of it with a Wool Army Surplus blanket I also picked up for $5.99  :)
"... fire is like a child that needs to be protected, respected, cared for, and ultimately, loved and appreciated." - Les Stroud