Author Topic: DANGLER SHEATHS  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
Hey fellows!
I was wondering about all the talk and excitement lately about dangler sheaths.
What are the advantages or disadvantages?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline 04man

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
Re: DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »
You would think that how it dangled would determine how useful it would be. :P

I had a knife connected to the inside of a jacket that dangled upside down. But I should mention I was a young teen and did it because I thought it would be kinda cool.

I could see having a small fixed blade dangle upright from a belt as a posed to rigidly secured and stiff getting in the way when sitting.

I'm curious also because I may start on a file knife soon and it will need a sheath.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
I have gotten into the habit of keeping most of my regular sheathed fixed blades in my pack or pocket and not on my belt.  When it comes to danglers I guess I like them because the knife is easier to have on your belt.  It doesn't get in the way when I sit down.  The knife is easier to get to because its lower.  If you have a heavy coat on you can turn the sheath to make getting the knife out easier.  I like them with snaps too so you can put it on or take it off without much fussing around with your belt. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way.  (M.T.)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
Those are all good points... Thanks :)
I suppose they would also come in handy while wearing a pack with a waist strap.

Lots of times I to carry my fixed blade in my pack instead of on my belt.
If I had a dangler, maybe I would choose otherwise.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the dangler idea yet.

The first time I saw a dangling sheath was in connection with a Scandinavian blade. It was common (and suppose it still is) to have your case dangling on your belt with just a piece of leather lace.  Sometimes they're twisted, like.  And then, I starting seeing dangling sheaths as the popular 'bushcraft' design.  I do wonder if they're not part of that "Scandinavian" craze that has affected so much of what we now call "bushcraft."

They are, IMHO, great for sitting down with. If you wear your knife in the truck, you will be thankful for a dangler.  You can grab them and hold them for ease of putting in and taking out.  They do flop around though, and can be, again IMHO, actually harder to bring your knife to action than the old school 'belt loop' design.

I have both dangler and regular old 'belt loop' designs.  I do think so far I'm still a regular belt loop guy.

I dunno if I've actually answered any of your OP, Bearhunter, but there she is, nonethless.

Official and First "kanukkrafter" (OK, there's only one of us so far, BUT...)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
Thanks KK :)
I was also thinking that they would flop around quite a bit. I think that would drive me nuts!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
Thanks KK :)
I was also thinking that they would flop around quite a bit. I think that would drive me nuts!
There's this thing called YouTube I seen once, where some guys actually tie down their dangling sheaths, and I was thinking, like, I dunno, "Why?" 

I mean, if you don't like dangling stuff flopping about your person, you won't like a dangler sheath. 

Again, IMHO, they're all about sitting down.  I suppose they might go through some brush better too, if they can sorta 'give' as they get caught up?  I dunno brother... I jus' dunno. :shrug:

Offline Alaskan Bushman

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 10:58:24 PM »
Well my opinion is the knife has to be withdrawn and returned with one hand. That typically means the sheath will be made of kydex, and the knife hung upside down. I have found the Baltic rig works well, although I don't know if that is in the dangler category.

I very rarely keep the knife on my hip.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »
Thanks AB :)
I've been wanting to try one if those Baltic rigs too.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »
Well my opinion is the knife has to be withdrawn and returned with one hand. That typically means the sheath will be made of kydex, and the knife hung upside down. I have found the Baltic rig works well, although I don't know if that is in the dangler category.

Roger the one hand thing.  I draw one handed, but rarely sheath one handed.

Personally, dangler or not, I refuse to carry any knife upside down.  I don't trust any sheath's retention, kydex, dangler, whatever... I'm not interested in dropping a sharp piece of steel down my shirt or jacket.  Guys painting their neck knives orange so if they drop from their upside down sheaths they can find them easier?!?  No thanks! ;)

Offline land cruiser

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »
Danglers are super when one is on a horse.

Offline Alaskan Bushman

• Mill File+
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »

Personally, dangler or not, I refuse to carry any knife upside down.  I don't trust any sheath's retention, kydex, dangler, whatever... I'm not interested in dropping a sharp piece of steel down my shirt or jacket.  Guys painting their neck knives orange so if they drop from their upside down sheaths they can find them easier?!?  No thanks! ;)

I hear you on the "orange" handles knives.
At least in my experience with kydex sheathes (homemade and factory), never once has the knife come loose. I do respect your opinion. You have to go with what feels right for you.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:21:11 PM »

At least in my experience with kydex sheathes (homemade and factory), never once has the knife come loose. I do respect your opinion. You have to go with what feels right for you.
I bet my kydex sheaths would probably carry upside down perfectly fine. I'm just kinda being a big ol' chicken about it I guess. ???

I would certainly carry upside down on a piece of kit and not next to my body.

Tapatalked from my batphone.

Offline Alaskan Bushman

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »

I bet my kydex sheaths would probably carry upside down perfectly fine. I'm just kinda being a big ol' chicken about it I guess. ???

I would certainly carry upside down on a piece of kit and not next to my body.

If I can't shake the knife out of the sheath with my hand, I don't have a problem wearing it around my neck. That's just me. I typically only wear it around camp. Otherwise it is the my pack.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 12:42:25 AM »
I remember reading about the dangler design here recently. It seems it was started as a way to allow the sheath to hang lower than your belt so you can access the knife while wearing a wide hip belt on a backpack over your regular belt.
Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushlore = Quality over Quantity

Offline Seeker

• Mill File+
  • Woods Loafer
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:48 AM »
I like them for a couple reasons.  One, it's easier to get it on and off.  I typically carry my sheath knife in my backpack while walking.  Once I get to camp, I put it on.  Two, it seems to stay out of the way better when carrying a pack (e.g. while hunting) or when squatting or sitting.  With a belt loop, the knife rides too high to reach easily, and wants to do its own thing when sitting.  I also use a dangler on my machete sheath for the same reasons.
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.
John Muir

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
I prefer dangler setup simply because it seems more comfortable for me to wear

Creek.
Axes Rock!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:47 AM »
I think this topic needs a poll :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »
if we make a poll, add an "undecided" box.

still on the fence. i like the comfort, hate the flop
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:11:33 AM »
I use both, here's what I like about each:

No-Dangler, I like these when I'm really active on rougher terrain or combing through fields bird hunting.  It stays snug against you, no bouncing around and you usually wear lighter clothing when you're this active or it's warmer out so there's not as much clothing blocking the knife access.

Dangler, I prefer these when I'm out but not active, such as canoeing, hunting when I'm mostly sitting and waiting for deer or in a goose pit.  The dangler lets the sheath fall and almost lay beside you.  I don't feel it digging into my side or leg.  I'm usually wearing more clothing and a jacket and the sheath hanging a little lower helps in accessing the knife as I don't have to move as much clothing out of the way. 

I use the regular sheath (No-Dangler) more often but think both are good and it's ultimately just a preference thing.  I think the best sheath designs are the ones with a standard belt loop and a removable dangler.  Best of both worlds when you want em.   
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 07:50:38 AM »
I like the dangler sheaths for pretty much one reason. They don't dig into your side when you sit. I enjoy having a knife accessible but it's a pain, literally, when sitting in a canoe.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline MnSportsman

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Lean do chosain fein!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
I use both, here's what I like about each:

No-Dangler, I like these when I'm really active on rougher terrain or combing through fields bird hunting.  It stays snug against you, no bouncing around and you usually wear lighter clothing when you're this active or it's warmer out so there's not as much clothing blocking the knife access.

Dangler, I prefer these when I'm out but not active, such as canoeing, hunting when I'm mostly sitting and waiting for deer or in a goose pit.  The dangler lets the sheath fall and almost lay beside you.  I don't feel it digging into my side or leg.  I'm usually wearing more clothing and a jacket and the sheath hanging a little lower helps in accessing the knife as I don't have to move as much clothing out of the way. 

I use the regular sheath (No-Dangler) more often but think both are good and it's ultimately just a preference thing.  I think the best sheath designs are the ones with a standard belt loop and a removable dangler.  Best of both worlds when you want em.

+1

Basically the same for me. I use one particularly when wearing waders & hip-boots. And when fishing.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline irishff727

• Whetstone +
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »
I like the dangler sheaths for pretty much one reason. They don't dig into your side when you sit. I enjoy having a knife accessible but it's a pain, literally, when sitting in a canoe.

Unless you have a certain leather guy make you a horizontal sheath been using that knife a lot and it is totally comfortable even when I am all slouched down against a tree hunting ol' toms

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
  I got my first dangler about fifty years ago with a scandi fishing knife,  and a few more since then,  again with European made knives,  so the dangler is not a new concept,  it's just more new to us here in the last few years.
  As a sheath and holster maker most of the sheaths that I've made lately have been danglers by request,  more than a few have been returned to be converted to belt loops,  I could be wrong but I think the the fascination with dangler sheaths is more a fad than from any form of better way to carry a fixed blade knife.
  I've been around a long time,  so has bushcrafting,  but the name is fairly recent, before that it was called Woodcraft,  and the knife of choice was usually a common hunting knife and we all got along fine with them,  then something "new" came along,  Bushcraft,  with it came new (to us) ideas about gear mostly and a few new skills,  with it also came the "Woodlore" styled knife and dangler styled sheath.
  While not condeming either,  I am suggesting that bushcrafting can be done just as well with a plain old fashioned hunting knife and a belt looped sheath,  my personal preference is I don't like anything that bounces around on any part of my body,  including my legs, and I've never had a problem with a conventional leather sheath being in my way while sitting,  as a police officer I spent many years sitting just abaout anywhere a person could sit while wearing a whole belt full of tools of the trade without needing to have them dangle.
  Again, if it works for you by all means use them,  but for myself,  a belt loop is just fine, and the only "pants" a decent knife should wear is leather,  no offense, but plastic is cold, has no character, is noisy,  and will wear the edge on a knife a lot more than leather.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline werewolf won

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
I have become such a fan of the shoulder bag over the past few seasons that I have been giving serious consideration to adding a knife sheath to the BP hunting bag I am planning on making this year, and get the knife off my belt altogether.   I always have a folder in my pocket, so even if I somehow lost the bag I would not be knifeless.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 09:14:51 AM »
  with it also came the "Woodlore" styled knife and dangler styled sheath.
  While not condeming either,  I am suggesting that bushcrafting can be done just as well with a plain old fashioned hunting knife and a belt looped sheath,

That's an outright LIE!   You sir, are about to be banned   :P    :rofl:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
  While not condeming either,  I am suggesting that bushcrafting can be done just as well with a plain old fashioned hunting knife and a belt looped sheath,

LOL,  I thought that was going to happen when I started my "Mora's in general thread".
   I could retort by saying that I've been kicked out of better places than this,  but that would be a real lie.   :)

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »
Unless you have a certain leather guy make you a horizontal sheath been using that knife a lot and it is totally comfortable even when I am all slouched down against a tree hunting ol' toms

Glad you're getting some miles out of it. Don't know why I haven't tried one for mine.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »

LOL,  I thought that was going to happen when I started my "Mora's in general thread".
   I could retort by saying that I've been kicked out of better places than this,  but that would be a real lie.   :)

Yeah I was kind of waiting for a public stoning when you started that thread, LOL

And indeed that would be a real lie.  This place is great

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »
I like dangler sheaths and moras..moe aint all that bad either  :shocked:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »

Creek

Thanks Creek,  A mutually close friend of your's and mine once told me that if you wanted to have a good conversation flowing,  first you need to have a little controversy going,  even if you have to start it yourself.   :shrug:    :)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007 Supporter #1
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »

Creek

Thanks Creek,  A mutually close friend of your's and mine once told me that if you wanted to have a good conversation flowing,  first you need to have a little controversy going,  even if you have to start it yourself.   :shrug:    :)

That mutual friend sounds wise  ;).  One of my friends made me a dangler sheath for a mora, I use it quite a bit, he's a clever guy and made it so I can wear it as a belt sheath too.  I like belt sheaths as well.  And neck sheaths, and baldric style sheaths.  Really I like any sheath that has good retention and helps me carry a knife around. 

The secret is, bang the rocks together...

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »
It just struck me, that a person could just about turn any sheath into a 'dangler' by just snapping a carabiner into the belt loop. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
It just struck me, that a person could just about turn any sheath into a 'dangler' by just snapping a carabiner into the belt loop. :shrug:
Yeah I suppose that would work, but it wouldn't look as cool as leather :P

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
Shhh. Some of use are trying to sell sheaths here.  ;)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
Yeah I suppose that would work, but it wouldn't look as cool as leather :P

Shhh. Some of use are trying to sell sheaths here.  ;)

:-[ :-X

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

Wolfy I have a few old carabiners left over from my climbing days and have used them for doing just that for years.  They work pretty well but your carabiner inside width has to be wider than the outside of the belt loop of the sheath.  Most sheaths are just a bit to wide to hang freely.  When that happens I use a leather or paracord loop run through the sheath and then use the carabiner to clip on my belt. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way.  (M.T.)

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

This works, but I really don't trust belt loops (seen too many break). I don't want to lose my knives this way, so prefer to clip to my actual belt.

In general, I like danglers for the reasons mentioned (particularly the sitting comfort reason). Another good reason is that I can make a traditional fixed belt-loop sheath into a quick-release one very easily.

I take length of paracord (about 2' or so), and I thread it through the fixed loop on the sheath and add a cord lock and knot (looks like a neck knife rig... can be dual-purpose with small knives). Then, I drop the cord lock and loop behind my belt and then open the loop and drop the sheath through. Then, I can cinch the cord lock to adjust the amount of "drop." This works well for me, and is able to be attached without taking off my belt. If someone would like photos, I'll take some later.
What's that smell?

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
Sure!
I'd love to see some photos 8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:02:01 PM by Bearhunter »

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »

This works, but I really don't trust belt loops (seen too many break). I don't want to lose my knives this way, so prefer to clip to my actual belt.

In general, I like danglers for the reasons mentioned (particularly the sitting comfort reason). Another good reason is that I can make a traditional fixed belt-loop sheath into a quick-release one very easily.

I take length of paracord (about 2' or so), and I thread it through the fixed loop on the sheath and add a cord lock and knot (looks like a neck knife rig... can be dual-purpose with small knives). Then, I drop the cord lock and loop behind my belt and then open the loop and drop the sheath through. Then, I can cinch the cord lock to adjust the amount of "drop." This works well for me, and is able to be attached without taking off my belt. If someone would like photos, I'll take some later.

I was referring to the belt loop on the sheath and not on my pants, Blivet.    It never dawned on me that some people might think of loops on pants because all my bib-overalls are "loop-less". 8)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »

Creek

That mutual friend sounds wise  ;).  One of my friends made me a dangler sheath for a mora, I use it quite a bit, he's a clever guy and made it so I can wear it as a belt sheath too.  I like belt sheaths as well.  And neck sheaths, and baldric style sheaths.  Really I like any sheath that has good retention and helps me carry a knife around. 

Nice looking rig,  it doesn't look any worse for wear.   ;)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »

Creek

That's because those pictures were taken shortly after I received it.  It's got a little wear on it now but is still looking really nice.  It was well made, it'll likely outlast me.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

Creek

That's because those pictures were taken shortly after I received it.  It's got a little wear on it now but is still looking really nice.  It was well made, it'll likely outlast me.
I like the little buckle idea that you use on yours Beast 8)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
BH, that was all Moe.  I wish he would post pictures of his work, I'm sure we could all benefit from his leather craft knowledge. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »

Bear Hunter,  I'd rather use a buckle for the belt strap than a snap or velcro for fear than it could come apart and the knife could be lost,  the buckle has to be unfastenend intentionally.
  The "D" ring that it hooks to is made to slip over the knife handle when extra retention may be needed,  or when just the belt loop is used.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2013, 06:18:26 PM »

Creek

As long as it lasts for as long as you need it.    :)

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
Like many here, most of the time my knives ride in my pack or bag, and I make use of a pocket knife often. People think "weapon," not "tool," when they see a fixed blade knife so I just prefer to keep mine stowed to avoid unwanted attention. Plus my state has weird knife laws.

The sheaths I make for my knives have both traditional belt loops and danglers but when I wear them it's always on a dangler. I've often thought of making the danglers removable but I'm not a fan of snaps in general...I had a couple pop on a parachute harness once and although it was no big deal it scared the hell outta' me. But I really like the buckle method and I think I'll retrofit a sheath with a buckled dangler to see how I like it!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
Like many here, most of the time my knives ride in my pack or bag, and I make use of a pocket knife often. People think "weapon," not "tool," when they see a fixed blade knife so I just prefer to keep mine stowed to avoid unwanted attention. Plus my state has weird knife laws.

The sheaths I make for my knives have both traditional belt loops and danglers but when I wear them it's always on a dangler. I've often thought of making the danglers removable but I'm not a fan of snaps in general...I had a couple pop on a parachute harness once and although it was no big deal it scared the hell outta' me. But I really like the buckle method and I think I'll retrofit a sheath with a buckled dangler to see how I like it!

I think you'll appreciate the security a buckled belt strap affords,  you'll also notice that the width design of WilderBeasts sheath is perfect for a rear pocket carry with or without the belt attached.
  It can also be worn as a neck knife,  the location of the lanyard hole is such that the center of gravity is balanced between the weight of the knife and the ferro rod, the D-ring slides down the length of the knife handle to the guard for added retention,  it really is a very versatile sheath.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
DANGLER SHEATHS
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
Moe, you're a sneaky feller, hiding all your mad leather skills! :D

Tapatalked from my batphone.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »

This is how I do it, Wolfy.  When I'm camping or out paddling or fishing or whatever I rarely wear a belt.  I'm usually in shorts or my quick-dry pants that have an integrated belt, so there's not an option to thread my belt through the sheath.  I clip the carabiner through the belt loop of the sheath then clip it onto my belt loop on my shorts or pants.

I guess it's not a "proper" dangler sheath, but the nice thing is that the carabiner holds pretty firm where it's clipped to the sheath so it doesn't bounce around (or "dangle") all that much.  It holds pretty tight.  It was more of a "happy accident" that I rigged up at the spur of the moment and, happily, it works out great for me.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson