Author Topic: C3 Knives vendor forum will be temporarily disabled  (Read 9269 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
C3 Knives vendor forum will be temporarily disabled
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
The C3 Knives vendor forum on B&B turned 1 year old on March 2. We have all enjoyed the beautiful blades and talented craftsmanship that Chris has shown us in that time. So congratulations on a great year are in order!

However, C3 Knives has not logged in since March 2, or made any attempt to contact me to let me know if he wished to renew his vendor subscription for another year, or responded to my PM on the subject. So, I will be temporarily disabling the C3 Knives vendor subforum until I hear from him on how he wishes to proceed. It is my understanding that he is doing fine and is continuing to make knives, so you may look up his website if you need to contact him.

Rest assured that all of the posts and threads in the C3 Knives subforum will be preserved intact, and ready to be re-activated once he gives me the go-ahead.

I wish I had a better explanation as to why he suddenly stopped coming here on the one year date but I simply don't know. :shrug:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: C3 Knives vendor forum will be temporarily disabled
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »
I like Chris from only knowing him here at B&B, & miss his posts, myself. I enjoy(ed) his posts & his craftsmanship. Regardless of his not being here at B&B lately, I hope he is doing well, and that he is so busy, that he just hasn't had the time to visit B&B. I also hope he returns soon. Preferably as a vendor member, but even as a regular member.
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:05:27 AM »
I agree with everything Mn said above.

I would only add this: while I am not a vendor here, I understand that there has to be some kind of advantage to paying for a vendor membership. In reality, although I like Chris, and have enjoyed his knives, I think PW is being more than gracious in allowing C3's stuff to stay up. I think others would in this case, if they were in PW's shoes, remove the C3 material until C3 got in touch with Them. I think PW is taking the high road, personally. He's just that kind of guy.

FWIW

Tapatalked from my batphone.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:15:59 AM by kanukkarhu »
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »
Just to be clear, the subforum is not currently visible to B&B members, but it is still intact and occupying space on our server. It can be reactivated with a few clicks if he decides he wants to renew it. :)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
Well, along those lines, I'd sure like to know where Chris went. Could someone please enlighten me with a PM as to where he has gone? I liked the guy and would love to know if he's coming back or what?

I bet I'm not the only one. We're kind of a community here, and it's nice to know where people get to, you know?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
I would like to know as well. But any posts containing links to commercial websites will be moved to the appropriate vendor forum.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
He's still posting on his Facebook page (as of 2 hours ago) so he must be OK.  No clue why he's not here.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:00:41 PM »
I have been thinking of purchasing his Bushkiller knife. I really dig it.

Unfortunately, his vanishing act after so much self promotion on here, scares me off.

I don't get it. Shame really, he seemed to have a lot to offer. I'll find another blade to throw some coin at I'm sure!

Half Axe

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
Since it's looking like C3 isn't going to renew his vendor subscription, how long will his vendor forum be kept intact and disabled on the server?  Is there a possibility that some of the threads will be merged into other sections, or will the whole thing just go away at some point?  If I remember correctly, the number of vendor subscriptions is limited.  Are there other vendors waiting to take that subscription? It doesn't seem fair to hold open a spot indefinetly if you have other vendors waiting.  Just curious as to how that will work.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
I am used to people just kinda disappearing from here, and I really don't lose any sleep about it (since it is the Internet and all), but I do regret how the threads and stuff are negatively affected.

But I'm wondering what effect removing his stuff will have?

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
For me, removing his stuff won't have any effect at all.  While he certainly contibuted to the forum, he was here as a business man and I think most of his posts reflected that.  Apparently, we didn't contibute enough to his bottom line as a business for him to continue here.  That's OK in my book.  He has a website, Facebook page, etc. It was his decision to stay and play or move on.  I think, just from my perspective, he was only here to make money and I have no problem with that.  America was built on capitalism.  On the other hand, the fact that the he didn't leave some kind of farewell message is just poor business acumen.  His lost dollars............ not mine.  Of course, I could be full of hogwash, too.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
From the way I see it....

The value of what has been written, does not fade with the passing of the one who wrote it. Many times the value increases.
        In some cases, as I would guess is much like this one, a person has so much "on their plate" , & thus,may so become distracted by other things, or pursues another course in their lives, that at the time, to them, is a path that they deem better suited to what they want to accomplish. Not unlike someone who starts to write a book, but finds that they get better pay by writing short stories about the same subject, or something of the sort in the short term, but returns later to write that book & many others.... Louis La'mour is a great example. Started writing "westerns" as books, then , to make money, wrote mystery/detective stories, then short western stories & then returned to writing books...
 ;)
   Some actors have done the same thing.... they take a job acting here & there...but need more $$ to "survive", so they work as construction workers until a better "gig" gets them closer to where they want to be. An example of that is the dude who played "Hans Solo" in Star Wars & became the star of "Indiana Jones" movies... Harrison Ford...

Does that mean that what they wrote or did wasnot worth mentioning or keeping around until times got better? Burn your Picasso drawing, or Mozart sonata, since they aren't drawing or writing when ya want them to draw or write. Their old works are not worth a thing , since they are not active in the "current" activities that others expect them to be involved in...
 ;)

You get my drift... I hope...

I hope they leave things just as they are...for now...

Sometimes folks need to take a break & sort things out.

I figure that if he wasn't gonna return, he'd say something. I am not privy, but I think if PW & Red were very concerned, they would have done something different than what has been already done. It is their place, not ours. We are "guests".
 No need for us to concern ourselves too much, I would think.
 :)

I hope Chris figures out what needs to be done & returns. If not, so be it. I wish him well. If he does return, I'm in line to give him a bit o crap for taking off without a word...
 ;)

My take on this anyway...for what it is worth.
 :D

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
Since it's looking like C3 isn't going to renew his vendor subscription, how long will his vendor forum be kept intact and disabled on the server?  Is there a possibility that some of the threads will be merged into other sections, or will the whole thing just go away at some point?  If I remember correctly, the number of vendor subscriptions is limited.  Are there other vendors waiting to take that subscription? It doesn't seem fair to hold open a spot indefinetly if you have other vendors waiting.  Just curious as to how that will work.

There have been about 5 people ask for vendor forums since I capped them at 10. I am not sure who asked first because it has been a long time. I have been trying to think of a fair way to allow the people who want a vendor forum to get a shot at the spot. I suppose I could try to go back through my saved PMs and find who the first person to ask was, but that could take many hours of time I don't have to spare right now. :(

As for the subforum, I will probably keep it intact "forever" because that's common practice. There is no compelling reason to delete the data, other than for space, but if we run out of space on our server then it's time to upgrade to a bigger server, not delete archives. You never know when something that was posted there might prove useful. Searching through all the topics to find ones that add to the quality of content here but do not offer an advertising advantage over current vendors would be another time consuming task which may or may not happen in the future.

Half Axe

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
Thanks, PW, that tells me what I wanted to know.  Whatever you do with it, I support you 100%.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:24 AM »
LONG POST ALERT! :rolleyes:

You know, I think this ^ brings up an interesting opportunity for B&B, PW.

Personally, and this is JUST MY OPINION, but I find that the people I want wading around in my (currently dried up) cash flow are those who have other points of contact with me - I know them from the community, etc. and I WANT to support them. (There's a few peeps here who fit that bill.) 

As most here would likely concur, I like Chris (well, I don't really know him, but he seems like an awesome guy and all, for an 'internet' dude ;) ), and he DID contribute to the forum in general.  I wish him well.  (Hi Chris!)

Plus, I did win Lil' Wolfy... :D :thumbsup:

But, OK, the point is kinda being made that maybe he might have been here simply to sell stuff.  And that would have to seem to be supported by a) the fact he's gone and b) how he goned himself.  And the more I think about that, the more it doesn't sit right.  (Sorry Chris!)

Were we simply taken in by superior salesmanship, or was he genuinely a part of our community here?  Only he can tell us that.  (Chris?)

All that to say, it has me looking around at the Vendors here now.  IF and when I have money to spend, and IF I see something really cool on here, I can tell you exactly who will get said money - it will be the one who is really and truly a B&Ber.  (Actually, there are - now - two people I am really looking forward to buying stuff from as we speak. There were three...  :-\ )

Maybe that could be a part of a new vendor agreement?  That you should be an active participant in the B&B community?  Probably impossible to enforce, but it's just a thought. If the people selling stuff are doing so (as I'd say most of them already are) as a part of the community, then they're no different than the local butcher, baker or candlestick maker in our 'real' communities, and they'll likely do better here anyway.  If they are the guy just looking to sell you something, well...

Again, FWIW.

(Of course, being Canadian - International - might make me a poorer customer perhaps, but maybe others share similar sentiments.)

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »
I understand what you're saying KK, long winded though it may have been (take that for the joke it was, I'm a wordy individual in my own right, ask anyone who's been camping with me)

I like the fact that there was a grace period, and that he wasn't immediately cutoff. I also like the openness with which this was explained to the community as a whole. That shows the humanism within this forum, and I really like that.

All in all, I wish Chris well, whether he decides to return or not.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
Not that I think C3 didn't contribute. I can't really remember. I do remember seeing his stuff and was impressed with it.
But on the off subject of members that register and post just to make a buck. It kinda rubs me the wrong way. I remember this happening on another site in a different life. It's really easy to spot. Currently, I think all of the vendors here (me included I hope  ;)) contribute quite a bit the the forum.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »
I wish Chris had said goodbye instead of just disappearing, but he didn't and any harm that was done in the way he left was harm done to himself and his reputation, not to others.  That's a shame, especially after all the effort he took to promote his business here on B & B. 

As a vendor I just don't see the wisdom in burning bridges like that, but what is done is done.

I would not expect to have the content of my forum stay up if I didn't renew my vendor subscription, since a majority of the threads are essentially advertisements, so I would not expect the content of Chris's forum to stay up for the same reason. 

As to vendors contributing. I think that is up to the individual.  I'm here for a bunch of reasons, the vendor forum is a nice way of selling some of my stuff, but the community is really such a nice group of people that I would be here with or without my vendor forum.

I've learned a bunch from many of you and I've even made a few real world friends too.  You just can't put a price on that. 

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
I understand what you're saying KK, long winded though it may have been (take that for the joke it was, I'm a wordy individual in my own right, ask anyone who's been camping with me)
:D You're on to me... "verbal diarrhea" my Old Man used to call it... :shrug:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
   Perhaps Chris wanted to remain as a member, but not as a vendor, & wasn't sure how to approach PW, or Red, about doing that. Just conjecture on my part anyway, as only Chris knows the answer & I don't know of anyone who has tried to contact Chris recently, since he stopped posting, unless it was maybe S.Cross. Chris will obviously have to say himself, if he chooses, but I kinda wish he would at least try to contact someone, even privately, to shed a bit of light. He is not the only one to stop posting fairly regularly, but he is the only "vendor" I am aware of who has...
 :-\

Some kind of "contact", other than dropping any contact, would be nice. Kep(Mark) told us that he had become quite busy, & we all understood. He is missed, but pops in occasionally too. That seems like a better way than to just abruptly stop contact...
Dunno...
 :(

Offline GSP1

• Mill File+
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »
I got burned pretty bad. He is not doing his warranty work, not returning emais, keeping my knife as hostage and giving me the worst service in my experience. It's mgetting so bad that I will have to take legal actions. What a pitty from such a talented guy but it is what it is.
I will go to every knife Forum and post my disappointment with his services. Could you help me out in saving other people not to fall in this trap? Give me some websites that he might go into and falsify his intent?

Burned Marco
Our knowledge becomes so vast, only to realize, how stupid we really are.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 03:16:30 PM »
I got burned pretty bad. He is not doing his warranty work, not returning emais, keeping my knife as hostage and giving me the worst service in my experience. It's mgetting so bad that I will have to take legal actions. What a pitty from such a talented guy but it is what it is.
I will go to every knife Forum and post my disappointment with his services. Could you help me out in saving other people not to fall in this trap? Give me some websites that he might go into and falsify his intent?

Burned Marco

That's really sad to hear :(
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »

Burned Marco

Doggone Marco/GSP1,
Bummed to hear things aren't going so good. Although I have not done any business with him, I thought Chris/C3 was more thoughtful about his customers than what I am now hearing from your side.
 :-\

Well.... Good luck to ya & I hope things get worked out
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:20:20 PM by MnSportsman »

Half Axe

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 10:27:51 PM »

Burned Marco

GSP1, I would ask that you send a PM to PetrifiedWood advising of your experiences with C3 Knives, especially if they were conducted while you were a member of this forum.  Also, I think it unwise to continue a discussion of your experiences with C3 Knives on any open forum if you are planning legal action.  It would be a good idea to talk with your attorney first so as not to compromise any legal action and reduce your chances of success.  Feel free to send me a PM if you need to vent your frustrations, in confidence.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:39:54 PM by Half Axe »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »
Please let's not turn this announcement thread into a customer service discussion for a business that does not have a current vendor presence here.