Author Topic: Where to get new axe handles?  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Where to get new axe handles?
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
Hey all,

So as some of you know I got my surplus Swedish Military axe this past week in the mail. My spring project will be to get the OD paint off the head and re handle this bad boy.  From guessing it looks to have about a 28" handle. So, where can I get a decent replacement handle for my axe? I suppose hickory is the standard wood for handles?  I want a curved handle like the one already on it. I really like the look and feel of them.

Would Mills Fleet Farm or a big box hardware store have decent selections? I bought my handle for my hatchet project off the internet and , well, I don't like the to tone look of it. I'm sure it is a fine piece of wood but I want my project to look good AND work well. You know what I mean?
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Where to get new axe handles?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
House Handle has a good reputation for providing good axe/hatchet handles.

http://www.househandle.com/
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
I like house handle too. What makes you want to replace the haft if it's still in serviceable condition?

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
I dont want an OD handle and it's loose in the head. Hmmm now that i think about it I could be describes as loose in the head sometimes
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:57 PM »
If it was me, I'd probably be stripping the paint off with a quality stripper like Formby's, and putting a wedge in to tighten the head.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wgiles

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:12:39 AM »
If the handle hasn't been abused and the head is loose, you can often take a narrow chisel and remove the wedge so that you can put a new one in. A 1/8" wide mortising chisel would probably be the best choice, but they aren't common. Without such a chisel, you can use a small drill bit to drill a series of holes in the wedge and try to knock it out with a screwdriver. Once you get the handle out, you can see what kind of shape it's in and maybe give it a Linseed oil bath. If it's OK, you can reinstall the head and put a new wedge in it. I've done this with a couple of my axes and they seem fine now.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
If it was me, I'd probably be stripping the paint off with a quality stripper like Formby's, and putting a wedge in to tighten the head.

Me too, but I'd favor a random-orbit sander over the Formby's, because I'm lazy.  A few minutes with sandpaper and some boiled linseed oil and that handle will look like new.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson