Author Topic: Axe, Saw and Hawk lust! Pictures of the hottest tools in your collection...  (Read 429148 times)

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
I purchased a Viking style axe head from Adam Thiel in Hungary, I handled it with a nice piece of curly maple, and secured it with a thin wood wedge, the head is not drifted. I found a Medieval leather smith to make the sheath. It has a Damascus cutting edge, the rest of the head is hand forged, with a poll hammer head. Handy and functional.

"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
I confess to sneaking in to view a bunch of your photos, Jeff. :-[ ........MAN, you've created some absolutely gorgeous stuff that I covet immensely!  Is that a sin? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline JeffG

• Mill File+
That gave me a chuckle, no...that's a major compliment. Thanks Wolfy.  ;)
"Rise, Peter; kill and eat." Acts 10:13

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
I don't have anything as fancy as the rest of you but, here is my family photo of my working axes.

Sharper is better

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Looks like a good variety to me.  Mine is down to four and I am looking in my barn for two of them.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
Hope you find them, and they are free of rust.
Sharper is better

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Oh I found them yesterday and they are fine.  Interesting comment though about the rust.  I have two outbuildings on this farm.  One is a shop and the other a barn although we haven't used it for any holding cattle inside for at least two years.  There are some storage and tack rooms in the place and a chicken coop where they probably wintered birds in bad weather.  If you leave unpainted metal objects in the barn they will get surface rust all over them in a couple of months regardless of the time of the time of year.  Leave them in the shop building and they are fine all year long.  Same type of construction with wood frame covered with corrugated metal siding and roofing.  Shop floor is concrete.  Barn floor is half concrete and half dirt. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
Are there chicken droppings in the barn? I wonder if that would cause the rust.
Sharper is better

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
I would think they are gone.  We have lived here twenty some years and have never had any chickens.  The folks we bought it from didn't raise any either. 

There are a few birds that nest in there so that might be a reason to fix the window they use to get in and out of the place.
(Mark Twain)