Author Topic: Morning Roll Call  (Read 55285 times)

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
Re: Morning Roll Call
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
It was 13 when I got up around 5:30. About 2" of snow on the ground, with lake effect streamers dropping more flakes in between shots of sun. Bitter wind. It's 21 now and an advisory up for 3-6" more. Good day for baking beans.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
22 when I got up, french toast with pears simmered in an apricot/butter syrup and whipped cream cheese. And coffee of course. Now it's 28 and we're in the middle of getting rid of unneeded junk around the house. :P
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
Nice day here today but the other shoe is about to drop again.  Cold temperature by Tuesday and goes at least to Sunday.  50% chance of snow and single digits for a high. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
Same deal here, Stan....46 degrees, no wind, sunny!   Got some more chores done that needed doing out at the farm before it gets cold, day after tomorrow.  Little rain/snow mix coming along with the cold, but then it gets really cold next week with some single-digit temps predicted :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2013, 09:02:34 AM »
Got three inches or so of snow last night and temps in the high teens.  It wasn't snowing early this morning but started a bit ago.  Tomorrow the temperature drops into single digit highs and below zero lows for the rest of the week. 

They are calling for 5-7 inches and winds with gusts to 48 mph later today and tomorrow.  Guess I will get out the kite.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
We had a low of 64 degrees here this morning and a high of 78. We did drop down to 37 degrees last Wednesday.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
Well we got the single digit overnight temperatures at 1 degree above.  So far we haven't got the snow but its still early.  The wind is here and it is fierce at the moment.  You know that wind that makes your forehead hurt when you walk into it?  Its that kind of wind.  Wind chill must be about a minus 10 F.
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
We are having a nice gentle snowfall right now.  I'd say we are at the 3 inch mark.  I hope we don't get those winds.  Even a few inches with winds like that can make some mighty impressive drifts.

Stay Warm Stan.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2013, 07:03:33 AM »
Sleeting and 29* right now. Gonna get colder and eventually turn to snow as the day goes one. :fire2:

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2013, 08:21:43 AM »
mornin all! minus -20 f. freakin bit chilly...grabbin my snowshoes and heading out the door, wearing my longhandles on this one ;)...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:22 AM »
A -2 here at 7:00AM.  So far, knock on wood, nothing has frozen up.  The Bobcat started up this morning but the tractor is going to need a jump.  The stock tank is okay but did have a lot of ice buildup in the top of the basin. 

It has cleared off so temperatures should drop lower tonight.  Wind did not get as bad as the predicted yet.  Its out of the NW at about 10 MPH. 

Wolfy made a comment about being on the edge of things.  This storm we got 4" of snow I would guess and the high winds the last two days caused some drifting.  Ten miles north of here they got 10" and big drifts. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
At 11:30 PM last night it was 40 degrees F out.  At 7:00 this morning it was 42 degrees F.  The snow is melting, and its cloudy out.  No new snow in the forecast.  The cats went out and stayed out most of the night.
(Mark Twain)

Offline diogenes

• Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:03 AM »
17* when I woke up around 8 am. Now it's 24* and sunny. Having a cup of tea while croissants bake. Got some smoked salmon and bagels, too. And ripe pears.

The dog's doing well. He's having chicken and rice for breakfast. Pretty much back to his old self. :)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
Sounds like a mini thaw Stan, with the temps you guys had for a few weeks I bet your not complaining... 8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2013, 09:28:04 AM »
Slept in, got woken up by whiny snowmobiles going 60+mph down the center of the street. Never a cop when you need one.

Dug out the walks and garage. 9" and some drifting. Mostly fluff.. Used a leaf blower on the garage pad, lol.

Lunch is leftover lasagna that I made with venison sausage. :D
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Little Yellow Jacket

• Whetstone +
« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »
Good morning friends and family. It's a pretty day here in Austin, Tx. Sunny, 46* Very little wind. I harvested a big doe a couple of weeks ago and pork butts went on sale a few days ago for $1.47/lb. Yesterday me and momma made 32lbs of pan sausage. Its frying now. Anyway, I haven't used a rifle to hunt deer in years. I used a 60 year old model 94 30-30 my dad gave me a long time ago. He bought it new in 1953. No scope. I love that gun.
  I made a hammock tri-pod set-up not long ago and had to use it on this trip. It worked great. Only got down to 36* at night.  I like having that pole under my tarp to hang things on.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:53:54 AM by Little Yellow Jacket »
Rick

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
Overcast/partly sunny here today which beats yesterday's heavy rains where I got soaked running stuff in and out of the car for Liz's drop in at work.  Brunch will be some of the sausage links I made a few weeks ago, eggs, yellow grits, and toast.

What sort of seasonings do you use to make your sausage LYJ?
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »
Sounds like a mini thaw Stan, with the temps you guys had for a few weeks I bet your not complaining... 8)

Not one little bit  Zammer .......  ;D
(Mark Twain)

Offline Little Yellow Jacket

• Whetstone +
« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
What sort of seasonings do you use to make your sausage LYJ?

Nothing fancy. I bought some LEMS Breakfast and Maple pre-mix. Added some red pepper to a few pounds.
Rick

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #219 on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
14 degrees F this morning, snowing hard right now but it just started.  Wind is up, maybe 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph.  Wind chill is in the -5 area.  Not too pleasant for the next ten days or so.  Christmas forecast was 30 F so that could be worse.  3 to 5 inches of snow predicted. 

The radio is playing "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas".   :-\
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
A balmy and calm minus 12 here this morning.  Snot freezes in your nose quickly. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »
+12 here.....no Snotsicles, yet :P

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »
34 F here, dead calm as well, with a very fine drizzle coming down, but on a happier note this is the 2nd day of my Christmas Holidays mini vacation, no worky till early January  8)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
We got another inch of snow.  Snowblower man zipped in and out already this morning. Light fluffy stuff.  I have no idea on what temps we have...the thermometer outside broke.  Stuck at 60*...( I wish).

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Adahy

• Whetstone +
  • "I am Groot"
« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »
Miami, FL...81 and sunny (some clouds). Home early, kids are here...little impromptu family time. Wrapped my wife's Christmas gift.

Peace!
AKA NICK-CHILL

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »
Miami, FL...81 and sunny (some clouds). Home early, kids are here...little impromptu family time. Wrapped my wife's Christmas gift.

Peace!

That funny pounding sound you heard when you posted your temperature was all the rocks thrown your way by those of us up north and west.  81 and sunny is obscene. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
Wait, Stan, before you start throwing rocks...think.....

NO LAWNMOWING ...  :) :) :)

..no pulling weeds, no mosquitoes, no ticks, no gnats, no raking, no window washing, ........for MONTHS.... 

WW   O:-)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Wait, Stan, before you start throwing rocks...think.....

NO LAWNMOWING ...  :) :) :)

..no pulling weeds, no mosquitoes, no ticks, no gnats, no raking, no window washing, ........for MONTHS.... 

WW   O:-)

Well any weather that keeps the ticks away can't be all bad.  Don't forget no going outside after sundown either.
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
I just got in ,  I take that back.......  lawnmowing was replaced with a shovel.  uffda.    Bugs were replaced with ice bits going down the backside of the collar... seems to be just as annoying.   

It was gorgeous out there this morning, everything full of very thick frost.  And I had a bluejay keeping me company, jumping from branch to branch on the big pine above me...   he's responsible for the ice bits falling down on me while I was cleaning off the car.   

Gotta head out to the mailbox and town before the winds kick in... 

WW

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
About zero here this morning and it got all the way up to 14 above.  Calm so it wasn't obnoxious and the next few days are about the same with a chance of some snow.  They are using the word "breezy" for tomorrow but I am not sure what that means.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline Southern Illinoisian

• Whetstone +
  • You and you come with me the rest of you panic...
« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »
About 9" of rain and still going strong. Flooded roads and lakes. Time to get the galoshes and rain gear on.
"If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash." - George Washington

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »
Our lowest daytime high so far this winter has been 19 F ( yesterday )  our daytime high today WAS 7 F  its now 3 F and getting colder, windchill around -18F...this is starting to get cold ( for southwestern Ont )....bundle up peeps  :fire1:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »
Western South Dakota has been cold this winter and that continues.  Its been in single digits to the low twenties (F) for the last few days and the wind, at times, is brutal.  Today it was 9 F at dawn and has gotten to the low 20's F now.  It is dead calm at the moment so its fun to be out there now. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline xune

• Whetstone +
« Reply #233 on: January 02, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »
Almost 2 pm, sitting at 11?F outside. Been cold like this for a week or so here, with strong cold winds
I'll tell you what hermits realizes. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
Thought I would see if this thread can continue.  Brace yourself kind of stopped it so here goes.........

I got up early and went out to see if any Coyotes were moving about.  They have been coming into the farm yard during the night and yesterday there was a single down on the edge of the reservoir looking around,.  It's tracks came up to the house and through the hay yard and that usually means hunting is poor for them and they are looking for cats and whatever around the feedlot and barn.

It was 3 F but pretty calm.  About 7:00 AM the wind started and I had to move to a sheltered area.  My constant companion is a stray cat that now lives on our deck and she sits with me whenever we are out and about on the farm.  Anyway no Coyotes today.  About 8:00 AM we had enough of the wind and called it a morning. 

8F and gusting wind.
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
Stan, are you out hunting the coyotes?    I heard the hide value went up some from last year.  I was hoping that crew
that came through last year would come again to thin the herd around this area.

I too have been seeing tracks coming up close to the house.  Its some of my fault since I'm throwing odds and ends
in the big bird feeder.  Some of its meat and bones.  (squirrels enjoy those).   

WW.

Half Axe

« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
11 degrees and snow.  Single digits for highs forecast for almost all of next week, lows below zero.  The lakes have a good foot to foot and a half of ice.  Glad I bought that power auger for ice fishing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
Stan, are you out hunting the coyotes?    I heard the hide value went up some from last year.  I was hoping that crew
that came through last year would come again to thin the herd around this area.

I too have been seeing tracks coming up close to the house.  Its some of my fault since I'm throwing odds and ends
in the big bird feeder.  Some of its meat and bones.  (squirrels enjoy those).   

WW.

Not really hunting them except here on the farm and only in the early AM trying to catch them going back west where their dens are.  Hides are up here but this is just about keeping them away from the house and my outdoor cats. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
Do they cause you problems at calving time?   My neighbor was really disgusted last year when the snow/winter hung around so long that his cows dropped out in the pasture and the coyotes got a few calves.   

Its a gorgeous day out there today.. . NO WIND..   I almost don't know how to walk with out leaning into the wind... LOL   

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
I saw a coyote cross the road in front of me when I was headed out to the farm yesterday that was so mangy that it was almost unrecognizable as a coyote.  It had almost zero hair and was about the color of the comb on a rooster. How it made it through those -20 degree days with a windchill of -45 degrees, I'll never know.:shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
Do they cause you problems at calving time?   My neighbor was really disgusted last year when the snow/winter hung around so long that his cows dropped out in the pasture and the coyotes got a few calves.   

We don't have a lot of problems with Coyotes getting calves at our place but it happens from time to time at some of the neighbors.  Not frequently though.  The sheep get hit harder by Coyotes than cattle. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #241 on: February 01, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
I saw a coyote cross the road in front of me when I was headed out to the farm yesterday that was so mangy that it was almost unrecognizable as a coyote.  It had almost zero hair and was about the color of the comb on a rooster. How it made it through those -20 degree days with a windchill of -45 degrees, I'll never know.:shrug:

I saw one of those a few years back Wolfy, pretty sorry looking.  I felt bad for it and put it out of its misery.  They must be warm enough down in their dens to survive. 

We have had skunks and squirrels show up here that had hardly any hair and were the same color as you describe.  Mottled skin and discoloration. 

About fifteen years ago the mange came through here and you couldn't find a coyote or fox for years.  The fox are still pretty rare and its just been the last couple of years that we have seen more than one at a time.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2019, 03:06:37 PM »
We had a couple of inches of snow again last night, but it's up to 50* this afternoon.....hardl y a hint of it left. :thumbsup:

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
Got about four miles in before i started postholing, turned around went home to sleep....50 with wind today, most of the snow below 6000' has melted...i'm tired and in a sour mood today >:(
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »
Weather in western South Dakota was okay today warm enough to not wear earmuffs and little wind.  All the mild flooding has receded revealing that the creek undercut the concrete blocks we put in the bridge downstream abutment to the point where they are about to tip over.  Arghhhh!
(Mark Twain)