Author Topic: Morning Roll Call  (Read 54035 times)

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 06:02:37 AM »
36 degrees and rain here this morning. It has been raining pretty constantly for the past 60 hours and it doesn't look like it's letting up until tomorrow. Everything is waterlogged & flooded.

I've worked about 80 hours over the past 7 days strait & I've so far avoided the flu that is making it's way through the family so my plans today are to stay warm, dry and catch up on sleep :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: Morning Roll Call
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:39 AM »
32F Snow & doing taxes...
Ughhh.

:(
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »
It's 37* F here fellows.

I don't know why in the hell I'm awake so early ??? :pissed:

... And windy
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 06:14:55 AM »
Good Morning all you Northern Hemispherians

In my little part of Down Under it's just past 10pm, after a bright, warm and sunny Autumn day. Here's some photos I took this arvo:

The Troopie - not mine, I run a Land Cruiser FJ40 and dislike anything with power steering

The view.

The reason for being out there - an old plane crash site with a story behind it...

Story is the pilot was a WWI fighter ace - I mean a bonafide ace over the trenches of France - Distinguished Flying Cross and all. When WWII broke out, he reupped as a 40 year old and was given an instructor's slot. This particular day he was part of a ferry flight of 5 aircraft travelling from Laverton in Victoria to Evans Head in northern NSW. As they were flying over some particularly wild and wooly terrain after dusk, the weather closed in and our WWI ace lost visual contact with the rest of the aircraft in the flight. No problem - he'd run on instruments and make his own way on a direct bearing to their refueling stop. Soon after, he began to have engine trouble and couldn't maintain altitude. With no flat terrain in sight and He slid back the canopy and bailed out. He popped his chute too early and it snagged on the tailplane. He went in with the aircraft. You know those days where nothing seems to go right He had one and it killed him. Three days later, search teams found the wreckage with the remains of our WWI ace nearby. Even today you can see the big impact crater - nothing grows there. You can just make out a path of old damaged timber where the plane came through the trees. If you look in the photo above you'll see the big chunk of wreckage in the top centre of the frame - that's the section just forward of the tailplane. Our WWI ace left behind a wife and 2 children. I have visited his grave in Sydney's Rookwood cemetery and paid my respects.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 06:20:19 AM »
Good Morning all you Northern Hemispherians

In my little part of Down Under it's just past 10pm, after a bright, warm and sunny Autumn day. Here's some photos I took this arvo:

The Troopie - not mine, I run a Land Cruiser FJ40 and dislike anything with power steering

The view.

The reason for being out there - an old plane crash site with a story behind it...

Story is the pilot was a WWI fighter ace - I mean a bonafide ace over the trenches of France - Distinguished Flying Cross and all. When WWII broke out, he reupped as a 40 year old and was given an instructor's slot. This particular day he was part of a ferry flight of 5 aircraft travelling from Laverton in Victoria to Evans Head in northern NSW. As they were flying over some particularly wild and wooly terrain after dusk, the weather closed in and our WWI ace lost visual contact with the rest of the aircraft in the flight. No problem - he'd run on instruments and make his own way on a direct bearing to their refueling stop. Soon after, he began to have engine trouble and couldn't maintain altitude. With no flat terrain in sight and He slid back the canopy and bailed out. He popped his chute too early and it snagged on the tailplane. He went in with the aircraft. You know those days where nothing seems to go right He had one and it killed him. Three days later, search teams found the wreckage with the remains of our WWI ace nearby. Even today you can see the big impact crater - nothing grows there. You can just make out a path of old damaged timber where the plane came through the trees. If you look in the photo above you'll see the big chunk of wreckage in the top centre of the frame - that's the section just forward of the tailplane. Our WWI ace left behind a wife and 2 children. I have visited his grave in Sydney's Rookwood cemetery and paid my respects.

That's an awesome story, thanks :thumbsup: 8)

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 06:51:11 AM »
That is some view there Buzzacott.

Well it is already 75 degrees and climbing fast. I went for a morning walk because I thought it would be cool after the good evening showers we had last night, WRONG!
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 07:03:58 AM »
That is some view there Buzzacott.

Well it is already 75 degrees and climbing fast. I went for a morning walk because I thought it would be cool after the good evening showers we had last night, WRONG!

Well hell, you live in Florida! What else do you expect :shrug: :P

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
Wow Buzz, thats beautiful country there!   Thank you for sharing the Fighters story.   I even read it to my hubby. :) 

I'm not even going to say what color it is outside this morning.   But if you need a hint.. its the same color I'm typing on.... 

I do feel really sorry for the birds out there today so I'm going to make up a big batch of goodies for the birdfeeder (upside down DISH thingy).

WW. < who feels like going back into hibernation.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 08:32:49 AM »
8 degree this morning, calm, overcast moved in after it cleared off last night.  50% chance of snow showers today then it tapers down to 20% tonight.  A little melting went on yesterday but now its frozen solid again.

That Mora I got from Nick sure makes a good ice chipper to get the surface ice off of the cats water dish in the barn and for cutting bale twine when we feed.  I wear it on a long nylon thong over one shoulder and it works well when you have a lot of clothing on. 

The house got a cap out of this storm:

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 08:39:30 AM »
Stan, how many inches of snow did you end up getting?

I would say we are at the six inch mark... 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
Great story Buzz, thanks.

It's -7 C here today (19 F?), bright and sunny.  Snow is melting - slowly! :thumbsup: - and it promises to be a lovely day!

All that is needed is for me to get off the 'putey and start work! :)
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
Stan, how many inches of snow did you end up getting?

I would say we are at the six inch mark... 

WW.

I would guess about 14" here.  There wasn't much wind so the places I measured were all either side of that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2013, 08:24:01 AM »
Around 30* F with around 1" of snow overnight.
We're suppose to get up to 3" of snow today with the temps hovering around freezing all day.

It looks like its heading your way WW... More snow and cold temps for you :lol:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »
I just read that on the NOA page..    5-8 for us and 12+ for Angerlands area..   yeesh.  But severe storms in the central USA...   

I do beleive we still have towns in southern Mn with out power from the last storm.   brrr. 

I feel really bad for all the migratory birds up here.   Especially the Robins. 

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »
I just read that on the NOA page..    5-8 for us and 12+ for Angerlands area..   yeesh.  But severe storms in the central USA...   

I do beleive we still have towns in southern Mn with out power from the last storm.   brrr. 

I feel really bad for all the migratory birds up here.   Especially the Robins. 

WW.

We had some 3-day outages around here from downed power lines, but just north of us across the river in SD there were 220+ power POLES down!   Those will take a little longer to replace. ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
That will keep the Power Co. Busy. wow.    My sister in LeMars said she's never experienced so much ice before.   I did once.. took me an hour to chisel my van door open to get something I left in there over night.   And the sounds of ice falling all day was really creepy.

Up here.. if ice took out the powerpoles of our line to this place I'd be in trouble.  Three of the poles are in the slough.  And right now its too soft under the snow for the big trucks to get in there and not sink.  I'd rather have the snow.

WW.

Offline MtnManJoe

• Whetstone +
  • PNW (N Oregon Coast)
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2013, 09:15:01 AM »
G'Morning Kids
35 degrees and "Not" raining - - Yet .. lol
Woke up today, to the melodious sounds of my cat fighting with a neighboring rival .. wheeeeeee!
2016 Personal Goals: Tweak/Optimize Kit || 10 Day Hikes || 50 Nights in 'The Bush'
"Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »
Good Mornin, MtManJoe!  :)    Cats..and there aint no way of shuttin em up either.   I feel for ya.   My dog was barking all morning...I threatened to duct tape his mouth shut.  Seems to have worked..this threat cuz he's sound alseep in the basket.   Me?  I'm awake now.. may as well get something done.   :-\

WW.   

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
There's a couple of ways to silence a cat. :-X

Offline MtnManJoe

• Whetstone +
  • PNW (N Oregon Coast)
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
aww .. My cat is like 13 years old, and still thinks he is a tough guy (and really, He Is) .. 'tho several generations of his progeny  have thought different .. heh!

I think He is still looking pretty good - for being an old street-fighter .. :-)

2016 Personal Goals: Tweak/Optimize Kit || 10 Day Hikes || 50 Nights in 'The Bush'
"Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »
Oh ya.. he's got that 'tough guy' look.  :)     I like seeing/watching cats, but over the years I've become really allergic to them.   :'(

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
aww .. My cat is like 13 years old, and still thinks he is a tough guy (and really, He Is) .. 'tho several generations of his progeny  have thought different .. heh!

I think He is still looking pretty good - for being an old street-fighter .. :-)

No hard feelings, Joe ??? :cheers:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
We need to think of a good caption for that picture..  that cat is saying something goooooood.... :)

It almost looks like he's sticking out his bottom lip in a bully sorta way....  heh.

WW.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »

No hard feelings, Joe ??? :cheers:

I'll send ya my wife's worthless 6 toed cat Wolfy :lol:

I promise that It NEVER even meows :rolleyes: :P

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »
40 degrees now, on the way to 50 and partly sunny today

My usual area for spring foraging is underwater due to the heavy rain we've had the past week so I'm working on my backyard gardens today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »
27 and snowing with high wind gust

Offline MtnManJoe

• Whetstone +
  • PNW (N Oregon Coast)
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
41 degrees, and drizzly .. UGH!
Looks like a couple 'nicer' days heading our way this coming week .. "Might" actually get out-and-about for a bit ??

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »
Its snowing sideways with sleet mixed in.  I think we are in the 5-8 inch range. And now the weather channel is talking about another one by Wednesday.  Good grief.

I was just watering the seedlings.. told them " take yer time lil ones..it may be awhile before heading to the greenhouse"... and shut the light off.  ha.

WW.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
12* F and clear. It was 15 yesterday morning.
Missoula broke a record yesterday morning for the low and was suppose to do the same this morning. 8)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
34*, wind, sleet, snow, thunderstorms. :shrug:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 07:39:16 AM »
Geez.  It hit 90 here yesterday.  I think it was 67 at dawn.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 08:04:07 AM »
A high of 75 yesterday, 62 as of this post today with a light drizzle.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »
We were on the north end of this storm.  Got two inches, no wind.  That's fine, we will take all we can get.  They were calling for 7 to 12" though and that would have been much better.  It was 28 degrees at 7:00 AM and is 40 degrees as I write this at 10:15 AM.   ???

(Mark Twain)

Offline MtnManJoe

• Whetstone +
  • PNW (N Oregon Coast)
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »
43o and Not Raining (amazing .. lol)

Offline JV Rooster

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 08:45:36 AM »
Its a little cold here today. Looks like we may get some rain. Might take a walk through the woods a little later if the weather holds up.

Offline mac

• Mill File+
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »
outside kelowna, bc canada
about 3c outside(just above freezing).
still have a glacier in my driveway... most of it is muddy.

see you on the trails...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
We were 26 degrees with a stiff wind out of the northwest this morning.  Now is 41 degrees with the same stiff wind and we are loving the moisture.  Its muddy.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2013, 08:01:48 AM »
30 degrees this AM and overcast.  Spitting rain but not enough to do anything but get the windows wet.  This is the best week we have had moisture wise since 2011.  Its muddy and cold and you plan your trips by going when the backroads are frozen but I love it.

(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
Left east Tennessee this morning about 0830 in the rain and drove towards Columbia, SC (home) in the rain until I hit SC.  Driving 200 miles in the rain sucks, but driving through the rain in the mountains really sucks.  Made it home where the rain finally caught up an hour or so later and lost electricity for a couple of hours.  No matter, I was home and get to sleep in my own bed tonight with the love of my life after a week away.  And my tomato plants I put in the ground a couple weeks ago already have blooms and have grown nearly a foot in the last week!  Life is good.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2013, 03:53:14 AM »
20 degrees. >:(Got a crew coming over to help me clean and organize the shop.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
At 4:30 this morning it was 30 degrees and overcast.  At 5;30  I was sitting by the river east of my place looking for turkeys.  After three hours and hearing only one gobble I packed up and came home to thaw my feet out.  It snowed for about an hour during this time although it was pretty light.  There are quite a number of whitetail deer in the bottoms.  Today I saw about fifty or so.  There was also a group of about twenty mule deer which we don't see to often in this area of the river.

Its real muddy and that is real good.   :D
(Mark Twain)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
Mid 30's this morning with a little rain overnight.
We're suppose to get several inches of snow tomorrow... We'll see I guess.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »
Snowing this AM and about five inches accumulated overnight.  Its 30 degrees and that is supposed to be the high for today.  It comes at a good time, looks to be wet, and we need all we can get.  The turkeys don't like it much.  Not a gobble this morning.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Morning Roll Call
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
We got around 3" overnight with the low this morning around 17* F. The high today is suppose to be in the low to mid 30's.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
Temps are dropping, more snow is coming in soon. 

I sure hope this late winter will do some killin' on the woodticks and mosquitoes.   I do worry this isnt doing well for the frogs.   Our pond is quite dry where they should be hibernating...    And the frog pop. has been dropping quite a bit in the last few years. 

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
Today it's sunny, low 60's and very windy.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »
Mix of sleet/snow/rain w/wind.....34*

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2013, 06:31:21 AM »
Yesterday started cool but ended almost at 70#.

Today may be rainy but it is in the 50s already.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2013, 06:41:09 AM »
27*, overcast, 3-4" snow last night, winds 20-25 mph today.  Record low temperature last night, but close to 80* by the weekend.     :welcome: to Nebraska, the state with 2 seasons. :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
20* this morning, calm, and blue sky.  Yesterdays snow melted a bit yesterday afternoon and today should put it into the ground pretty well.  Reservoir overflow box is letting a lot of water out and the ground overflow is starting to ease over the bank.  That is a good thing. 
(Mark Twain)