Author Topic: XL Wildland Part 2-The rematch!!!  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Carbon1

• Whetstone +
XL Wildland Part 2-The rematch!!!
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
This is more my experience and thoughts on this blade than a review, but I figured I would share it here. I got this from MLL Knives back in November or December of 2012. I custom ordered it from Mario, the owner, and he was very easy to work with. Probably three or four emails went back and forth, and a couple of drawings later, and Mario was starting on my knife. It probably helped that I was basically making just a few changes to a model he already offered, the regular Wildland. I wanted it to be a little larger, with a little more recurve, and I wanted removable micarta handle scales, all of which Mario was happy to accommodate me with.

The knife has a 7 ?? blade of ?? O1 tool steel, and I opted for the forged finish. In my opinion, that type of finish wears pretty well, and helps to impede rust on the high carbon steels. It has a ?scandi grind,? or basically what I would call a quarter height flat grind. This is not the absolute best for chopping, in my opinion, but the weight forward design and plenty of handle length help to make up for it. Either way, it chops quite well. Where the scandi grind does do well for a big knife is on the medium to fine work. It takes an extremely sharp edge, and holds it. It had no problem feathering matchsticks.

I ordered a scout-style sheath for the knife, as I wear it mainly in the woods. I know scout style is not for everyone, but I like it for certain applications. It is very quick to draw, and it makes drawing large knives while sitting on the ground, as often happens in the woods, relatively easy. Mario also included a leather dangler so that the knife could be carried in a conventional manner, but I have yet to use it.

As far as actual use, I must say this knife is ridiculously tough. I have used it hard, chopped, sliced, batonned, and even thrown it pretty extensively, and it just asks for more. The O1 holds an edge great. Even after chopping, digging, and plenty of fire prep, it still shaves. It has handled all of the tasks that I routinely ask of my outdoor knives, and done it well. I have been very pleased, which motivated me to do this ?review.? The knife is heavy, so if you?re not a fan of big, brutish knives, this may not be for you. But if you like extremely tough knives for use in the outdoors, you now have another option.

All in all, I?m very happy with my purchase, and Mario had excellent communication all the way through, even emailing me update photos throughout the process. He never left me to wonder what was going on, as I have occasionally had happen with custom makers. I?ve put in some photos of the knife in use, and included links to videos of using the knife, part 1 and then part 2, a followup after using the knife for a couple of months. No table top reviews here. I hope someone finds this of use. Thank you, and ENJOY!   

And the videos:

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: XL Wildland Part 2-The rematch!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »
Hard core man! I have 3 of Mario's knives, and can attest to how tough they are :thumbsup:

Great review, thanks for sharing Carbon :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Carbon1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
Thanks Red, it was a blast. I probably wouldnt test a conventional knife tip that way, but the way that tip is designed, its about indestructible. Mario must really have his heat treat down. Between you and me, I think I see another one of his knives in my future. Glad you enjoyed the review.

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
Great vids and that is one helluva good blade.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend