Author Topic: Mtech strikes again  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
Mtech strikes again
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »
I'm not much of a folder guy, but I like to keep a slim modern folder for beating on especially in urban environments like I am living in now. Got This Mtech folder off Ebay for like 8 bucks shipped from NJ. Here's some pics (Sam Adams glass for size ref...and drinking):

For a flea market grade folder it certainly feels solid, it's well put together and nothing feels chinsy or weak. The frame lock needs to wear in a bit, I've been kind of forcing it in when I open the knife, in a couple days it will have worked itself in. Ergos are pretty good actually, feels good in my hand, I'm not wasting time at work searching for the right grip. Arrived paper cutting sharp, edge grind is horribly lopsided but whatever. when it gets dull in a week from slicing cardboard all day I'll put a new edge on and it will really be mine. I like 420C and from my other Mtech experience they have a decent HT, remains to be seen here. It's super slim, pretty much disappears in my back pocket. When I got it the pocket clip was way too tight, I over flexed it to slide over the hem on my back pocket easier, now it's a little too loose but the thumb stud engages the hem so it's not going to fall out and if it does, well, I don't care. This is one of the few instances where I'm comfortable with cheap modern throw away culture products, if I lose it, which I will, I can get another no problem and it will very likely end up getting used again if found. No serrations is a plus for me, and (seems to me) tough to find on cheap folders.  We'll see how long it takes for all the screws to loosen up.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:14:17 PM by Binalith »

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: Mtech strikes again
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
It certainly looks like good user, and from the praises on here of their other products, I'd say you made a good choice!  Let us know how it holds up and your thoughts after a little more time with it.

Thanks for sharing this!!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »
Heh, a little loctite on the screws and polish the locking surfaces on a sharpening stone (if you don't mind disassembling the knife) and it will be right where you want it. For the price that's tough to beat. :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »

Heck, it looks like a worthwhile tool to me!  :shrug: :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Mtech strikes again
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
That'll be a good user. If you lose it or break it your not out too much.
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »
polish the locking surfaces on a sharpening stone

Never thought about doing that before, thanks

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:50:06 PM »
Mtech is a highly underrated manufacture. The two knives I've had from them are quality stuff in my book.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »
That thing will outlast the next generation of Dinosaurs!! Nice score, and you cant beat the price on an Mtech!
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Mtech strikes again
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:39 PM »
Nice! Looks a winner. I too like the idea of a cheap knife that you're not afraid to carry and use and lose if it comes to that.

Btw, Who is holding up who in that last picture. I need to know... ???

Tapatalked from my batphone.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?