Author Topic: A vintage Eureka tent.  (Read 2286 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
A vintage Eureka tent.
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »
This last Spring a friend of mine who was downsizing and moving to town ( :P) gave me his old Eureka tent.  I pitched it and slept in it once.  I thought some of you might like to see a fifty some year old tent before the widespread use of nylon came along. 

Its in wonderful condition, no tears or repairs, and other than a little dirt here and there its much the same as when it was made.  We think probably the 1960's.  The floor is heavy vinyl that comes up the sides a bit, the rest is canvas.  There are vents in the back, a zippered mosquito net door and a canvas door.  The tent is suitable for cold camping in the winter.  The floor size is about 80x100 inches. 

Its a heavy tent (I have not weighed it but would guess somewhere about ten to twelve pounds) but it packs into a relatively compact tube.  A tent for the car camping or ATV trips.  The rain fly is canvas and covers the top area as shown in the photos.  The frame is all on the exterior and is a PIA to erect compared to todays modern tents.  With nothing shock corded you have to remember what goes where.  Once you have pitched it a few times it becomes somewhat easier.  One person can put it up with a minimum of trouble if they work at it a bit.  Its free standing but difficult to move by yourself.  I have it pitched outside near the pasture on our farm and am thinking of sleeping in it once again as its been almost a year since we last used it. 

The pictures we took are from the day I picked it up and we pitched it and took these photos so we would have a reference on how to do it in the future.  I used them again yesterday when it was put up.  This tent should hold up well in high wind and after its treated with the alum formula posted last week here it should be good to use.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way.  (M.T.)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
Re: A vintage Eureka tent.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
...I've never seen this particular design...  Intriguing... ???

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
A vintage Eureka tent.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
That's pretty darn cool Stan :thumbsup:
The design looks interesting that's for sure.
How long does it take a fellow to set that up?

The 'high wind test' shouldn't be a problem in South Dakota :P

I assume its prolly even Made in the USA 8)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »
Heck yeah....I remember those ol' girls!    I've never had the pleasure of pitching or staying in one, but I do recall one of the assistant Scoutmasters had one of them on one of our winter camps.  Eureka makes well constructed tents and you can usually always get replacement parts for them, too.  Looks like there's a lot of years left in her too!  Congrats on a nice gift, Stan!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »
That's pretty darn cool Stan :thumbsup:
The design looks interesting that's for sure.
How long does it take a fellow to set that up?

The 'high wind test' shouldn't be a problem in South Dakota :P

I assume its prolly even Made in the USA 8)

Yep, made in the US and it takes about fifteen minutes or so to set up.  More if you have to run back to the house and look at the photos to see how something goes.  Your right about high wind tests, no problem where we live.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way.  (M.T.)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »
Heck yeah....I remember those ol' girls!    I've never had the pleasure of pitching or staying in one, but I do recall one of the assistant Scoutmasters had one of them on one of our winter camps.  Eureka makes well constructed tents and you can usually always get replacement parts for them, too.  Looks like there's a lot of years left in her too!  Congrats on a nice gift, Stan!

I had never seen this model before Wolfy.  Even looking on Ebay and the rest of the images section of search engines I only saw a couple of them.  They don't sell well from what I saw on the old Ebay listings.  Its a  tent that doesn't appeal to backpackers and its too small to put a stove jack in and use as a hot tent.  But its fine for a fall hunt tent or a fixed camp during the summer months.  If we were still floating the Smith River in Montana it would be fun to use this one.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »
Nice score mate!

You can definitely see the start of the evolution of the modern dome tent in that old Eureka. Would have been pretty high-speed back in its day.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:09:23 AM »
That is one cool tent.  Thanks for sharing it. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »
That is one cool tent.  Thanks for sharing it.

+1
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »
That is nice I bet the folks at Eureka might like to see some pics of one that old in such great condition.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 12:52:17 AM »
Cool stuff..

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
A vintage Eureka tent.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 06:09:37 AM »
Yeah, that's a neat tent. Congrats!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:57:09 PM by kanukkarhu »
Official and First "kanukkrafter" (OK, there's only one of us so far, BUT...)

Offline AnthonyP

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 09:11:15 PM »
My father has a 4 man of that tent. I spent many nights with my cousins in it. Thanks for bringing back the memories! Enjoy it

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »
Thanks for posting this. It's neat to see a bit of modern camping history. :thumbsup:
Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool

Blades and Bushlore = Quality over Quantity

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »
I have left it pitched through this latest round of snow.  It does okay until the weight of the snow gets too much and then it kind of collapses on itself.  When the snow is brushed off it gets up again, with a little help.  Hasn't leaked yet.

Thanks for all the comments.

Online SwampHanger

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
Perfect winter canoe tent! Pretty cool