Author Topic: The Cooking Quad Pod  (Read 5520 times)

Offline abo4ster

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
The Cooking Quad Pod
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »
Got this idea from my friend Tim Smith of Jack Mountain Bushcraft so had to make one myself.  Used an axe and 550 cord.

The idea is to have a moveable pole just higher than the tallest person in camp.  Off the poll, chains support pots and/or a grate.  The poll can slide back and forth, side to side.  Everything is up high and the structure is large, so no need to worry about knocking something over.  Plus it is a good way to hold cooking tools and you can even extend a table off the structure.  Stainless steel milk pails make awesome pots at a reasonable price too...

Getting the reflector oven going and a little Mountain Man breakfast...

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
The Cooking Quad Pod
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
Wow!
That's a helluva set up :thumbsup:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: The Cooking Quad Pod
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
NOW yer' talkin'......them's some serious vittles! :drool: :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
That's awesome!
I have yet to make a kitchen that's more complicated than my shelter. Hummm.....  :thumbsup:
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:39:25 PM »
Oooooh... I like!!     How fun that set up would be with a gathering of bushcrafters...  :)

I have a feeling I'll be back to look at this again this summer.

So what was in the pots on the hanging grate?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »
That is a neat rig! Thanks for sharing. Looks like just the thing for a multi-day group campsite.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:42:54 AM »
WOW!  Great idea for big eats in camp. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline abo4ster

• Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:00:36 PM »
Glad you like it.  Here is a little better picture in the daytime of one Tim Smith made at Woodsmoke last year.

From the original post, in the pots were two types of chili and a Brunswick stew.   Can't remember what I was reheating in the Dutch oven in the picture, but I did make Smores in a Pot for the kids later that evening.  That is awesome.  Stick of butter melted, crush in a layer of graham crackers, then layer in chocolate bars, then mini-marshmallows, then another layer of graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows.  Bake in Dutch oven until top layer of marshmallows are golden brown...  Key is using mini-marshmallows for even coverage.  Next cooking lesson will be the Smoreo!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 12:45:50 AM »
A little 550 cord goes a long way. :D

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 05:39:46 AM »
Theres just something about this set up I really like.  :)   Its versitile.   

It could be a butchering station for fowl.   Or made into a large smoker.  Or  in a group survival scenerio the laundry station.   All with a large pot of water going at all times in the center.   And more side braces tied on, more places to hang things.  Not necessarily over the fire..but off to the side for drying.

If you had a few 10 foot tarps, one could surround the small fire and have a 'warming house'... :)

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 07:25:18 AM »
Theres just something about this set up I really like.  :)   Its versitile.   

It could be a butchering station for fowl.   Or made into a large smoker.  Or  in a group survival scenerio the laundry station.   All with a large pot of water going at all times in the center.   And more side braces tied on, more places to hang things.  Not necessarily over the fire..but off to the side for drying.

If you had a few 10 foot tarps, one could surround the small fire and have a 'warming house'... :)

WW.

I agree with you, WW.....I've filed this away for future use, also.  I think it's a heckuvan idea with lots of possibilities for all kinds of uses in camp!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
Its even tall enough to hang a deer from if need be.   No fire at the time of course. :)   

I should build one of those right in the center of my garden.  :)   I could plant pole beans, cukes, and tomatoes on the corner posts.    ;)    I laughed at that idea... but now that I think on it.. I wonder how far one could go growing a verticle garden on that quad pod...... mmmmm..... 

WW

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
The versatility is impressive. I like some of WW's ideas.

Use #57: seismographic detector.  8) :lol:

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
way cool, I had something like that set up at a semi-permanent camp but it was just a pole strapped to 2 trees and some chain with a hook

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
LOL OP...  #57.. if the pot is jiggling , no panic.  If the pot is swinging.. ?

use #58   Hook baby bungie swing or cradle..   hah!

use #59  Engine lifter pod.  :)

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »

WW.

Yep, pretty versatile. Cook your dinner, and then pull the engine on your 4x4.  :thumbsup:

And if you are worried about critters, you can throw a few more logs across the rack, and sleep 7 feet off the ground. The coals from the cook fire below will keep you toasty all night.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
Yup, OP... now your talking.  :)   

WW. 

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
The Cooking Quad Pod
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
LOL OP...  #57.. if the pot is jiggling , no panic.  If the pot is swinging.. ?
If the pot is swinging, it's windy. If its wet, it's raining. If it's frosty and your tongue sticks to it, it's cold... ;)

Tapatalked from my batphone.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline abo4ster

• Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »

WW.

Yep, pretty versatile. Cook your dinner, and then pull the engine on your 4x4.  :thumbsup:

And if you are worried about critters, you can throw a few more logs across the rack, and sleep 7 feet off the ground. The coals from the cook fire below will keep you toasty all night.

The sleeping solution based on a similar principal is the Abo-Bench 1000.  One of my friends calls it the Flintstone Chair.  I made the bench you see with all the guys sitting on it at a camp a mile or so off-trail.  Took about 30 minutes with an axe, folding saw, and your friend and mine... paracord.  That bench was almost 7' long and I know two fellows who slept on it on different trips.  First time the wind was really bad the person moved from their hammock to the bench.  The second time it was raining.  Extended poles on top for a tarp as a rain cover and the bench obviously got them off the ground worked well.  The area behind the actual bench itself, ie, the middle of the tripod is a great place to store gear off the ground too, all you have to do is lay some branches across the side supports.

In cold weather, it is advantageous that you make the back-slats contiguous or your back will get really cold as just a few like in the second picture will crush your thermal clothing layer.

And yes, there are ton of things you can do with the quad pod.  There is a much smaller variation specific to cooking I will try and post too.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
I know a few of them fellers... :)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Abo4ster,  I'd love to see more pictures of the quad pod in use. :)     I'm really going to try to build one of these.   

WW.

Offline abo4ster

• Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »
I've only made the one myself.  Will probably go out to that property in the next month if there is something in particular you want a picture.  Here are couple more of my pics from Woodsmoke 2012...

And here is a video with Tim Smith and the structure briefly.  By the way, Tim is an awesome instructor, his website is www.jackmtn.com.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
Neat tour! Thanks!

I think the quadpod is a terrific idea. But I'm chuckling a little.
Two Dutch ovens, a little bitty fire, and that towering quadpod. Looks to me like somebody just wanted an excuse to go logging!  :lol:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
Ooog... I think I'd need a crane to get that last one to stand up.  Yowsa thats a biggun'.   :) 

I'm just curious..  is there a way to put a shell around something like this for a shelter?  Has it been done?   LIke a square Tipi? 

WW.