Author Topic: Pair of birch teaspoons  (Read 2744 times)

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
Pair of birch teaspoons
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
Piece of a  dead  standing  birch fell  from the wind last night. took a chance something might be solid in the branch  some was wet and pretty punky  but think I might be  lucky  to get a few more pieces out of  it these were  more test pieces and  worked  well so far for the one. took maybe a couple hours at best from start to finish both bout the size of a bigger teaspoon

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: Pair of birch teaspoons
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
I'm liking what I'm seeing. 

Keep carving buddy.   ;)
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
Good work so far!
you have me thinking that I should try a few of these!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
Nice looking spoons Easy!    That one looks like it will make a good ladle.    And I'm really liking that little axe....   I think I need one of those. :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »
Easy,
    Good looking start. Can't wait to see the end result.
Unrelated, I made a similar modification to my Opinel No. 8. I didn't like how the whale tail bit into my hand.
I rounded mine round out. Looks similar to their slimline but less sleek.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »
Beautiful. I really like it when there are curves in the handle - in my mind, that brings it a step beyond utilitarian into the realm of real art.
"I'm outdoors, you know." George Thorogood.
Member #94!

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
Beautiful. I really like it when there are curves in the handle - in my mind, that brings it a step beyond utilitarian into the realm of real art.

Thanks everyone

Yeah  I love  curves in stuff like this sorta gives a more organic feel to  it ya know?

Unfortunately the curvy small ladle she ain't workin out  the wood is to punky  the  small one  did ok have to  touch a little  super glue in it but she should be  fine
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »
Easy,
    Good looking start. Can't wait to see the end result.
Unrelated, I made a similar modification to my Opinel No. 8. I didn't like how the whale tail bit into my hand.
I rounded mine round out. Looks similar to their slimline but less sleek.

Thanks  Yeah I  couldn't stand the tail myself nor the finish on it was to tacky a feel for my  liking. Works very  good now super  comfy