Author Topic: Help  (Read 24195 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Help
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
Ok.. I asked someone to come check out this forum and he cant get in.   My url to him get data base error..and the google link shows only a cached page..no workable links.  As soon as he clicks on something he goes back to database error.

The register link wont work for him either.   

What can I do to get him to see this site?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »
Ok.. I found someone else on my msn list and gave them the link..  they too get 'page not found'... and same with google search.  Comes up.. but nothing is clickable..  not even to register.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:22 PM »
What link are you sending them?

This should take them to this site's Home Page:

http://www.bladesandbushcraft.com

Right click on this link, select "copy",and then Right Click>Paste it into your message to them.

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »
I just tried logging out, googling the site and clicking through the google link and it worked fine.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »
OP..  yup..thats the link I sent them.    Then they deleted it and hand typed it into their addy bar.  Two say  it just spins and wont open at all.  The other said it came in..but they couldnt click on anything.   All three Googled it .. found the site and when they clicked on things they got a Data Base Error or Page not found. 

All three went to bed.. so I'll try talking to them again tomorrow.

This wouldnt be because of main puters doing time change tonight or something would it?   

Thanks guys.

WW.   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »
Before I posted, I did the same thing as PW. I logged out, type in the URL and it popped right into the "index.php". I didn't go through Google, but PW says that worked for him.
Without knowing what browser they're using, or how they're typing it in, it's hard to troubleshoot.
Wonder why they didn't just click on the link on the message you sent them?

An "Error 404" (page not found) means they did something wrong.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »
The first guy I talked to did click on the msn message link.   He said a new tab opened up..but it would just spin.  Nothing came in.    I know he was trying on his end a few things.   He's really interested in what I described this place to be.    :)

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
Strange, let me look at the error logs and see if one turns up for a few guests.

EDIT:

Ok, the last error the forum logged was an incorrect password entry by one of our members on the morning of the 10th.

So we don't show any database errors on our end.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:36:33 AM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »
PW.. so this means its their computers not recognizing something?   

WW.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
I'm talking to this fella again right now.  He's tried different browsers, cleaned cache/cookies and he still gets page not found of the link I gave him.   

Maybe its cuz he's from Utah?    *grin*

WW.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
if your friends dont have their browsers set to accept cookies, they will not be able to access this forum, and will get a 404 error :)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »
Yep...that'll do it. Have them check their Privacy and Security settings.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »
Ok Redman, I'm sorry to be such a bother.  But this guy would fit in with us here.  :)

I gave him your message.  He said he gets a database error...

This is what he gets in the addy bar..

http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/board,34.0.html?PHPSESSID=78a273836ee0472188a179d238e4da93

copy " it will usually have the error code showing but this page has only"database error" the says try again "

He's cleaning another browser and going to try that.

WW.

EDIT:   This is what he gets in the other browser  "   if I search and click on the cached page I can see the main forum but can't go to any links "
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:55:40 PM by WoodsWoman »

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »
Ok Redman, I'm sorry to be such a bother.  But this guy would fit in with us here.  :)

http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/board,34.0.html?PHPSESSID=78a273836ee0472188a179d238e4da93

copy " it will usually have the error code showing but this page has only"database error" the says try again "

WW.

the link you just posted goes to the general discussion section. members without (X) amount of posts cannot view it, nor can guests.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:17 PM »

WW.

the link you just posted goes to the general discussion section. members without (X) amount of posts cannot view it, nor can guests.
What happens when he uses the link I suggested in Post #2???

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
Ok.. that makes sense.  Except I clicked on  HOME and gave hm that link.

Should I have done something different in handing out the link?

OP.. thats the exact link that when I put it into MSN to send to him.    I dont know where the added stuff come from?     

He made it in.  whew.

WW.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
I got excited too fast..   heres what he says..

well I registered and got the email but when I click on the activation link the browser cant get back in, goes to the same database error page

WW.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »
Ok.. he's in.     I think we should duct tape him to a special chair or something.   

Thanks guys.

WW. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »
Hope he finds it worth the effort!  :D

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »
Hope he finds it worth the effort!  :D

lol, how could he not! i love this place :P

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:25 PM »
He will. :)    I've known him for over 10 years.. and he likes sharp things. :)   

WW.   

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
PW? RED? OP?

Foggy cannot get this site to open up at all again.    He's on ieexplorere 8...

Ask me some questions so I can ask him via MSN messenger...     

This is so odd.

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
I just test drove this, so have him give this a try.

Close and reopen the IE browser.
Go to Tools > Internet Options and pick the Security Tab.
Set security to Medium High
Pick the Privacy Tab
Set Privacy to Medium
Click on Sites and scan the list to make sure bladesandbushcraft. com, or www.bladesandbushcr aft.com are not somehow "blocked"
Pick the Advanced Tab and choose to Reset (defaults) down at the bottom of the window.
Exit IE
Reboot computer and give it a try.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
OP.. I just copied and pasted this for him.   We'll see if that works.  Its sure frustrating.
He can get in at a work computer so this boils down to the home computer.

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
There is one very, very remote possibility I even hate to bring up, but it happened to me once.
Someone went to a lot of trouble to use my local ISP for routing spam. The ISP of the site I was trying to access blocked all traffic for self-protection. It was all straightened out, but it took three days once the problem was identified.
So what I'm getting at, is that if your friend's ISP has somehow blocked traffic from the ISP/Server/Host being used by this board, that could explain why he's having a problem. Only people going through his ISP and trying to call here would be affected.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
I just test drove this, so have him give this a try.

Close and reopen the IE browser.
Go to Tools > Internet Options and pick the Security Tab.
Set security to Medium High
Pick the Privacy Tab
Set Privacy to Medium
Click on Sites and scan the list to make sure bladesandbushcraft. com, or www.bladesandbushcr aft.com are not somehow "blocked"
Pick the Advanced Tab and choose to Reset (defaults) down at the bottom of the window.
Exit IE
Reboot computer and give it a try.

That would be a good thing to try.

One question I have would be "What does the error message look like?"

Is it a browser generated error screen, or one generated by our site?

It could be a browser settings issue like OP suggests, or it could be a firewall (either on his computer or on his home network router). Or, some IP's even block traffic at times.

Things to try:

A different computer using the same local network.
Change browser security settings.
Check router settings and allow this site through any firewalls.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 09:37:05 PM »

That would be a good thing to try.

One question I have would be "What does the error message look like?"

Is it a browser generated error screen, or one generated by our site?

It could be a browser settings issue like OP suggests, or it could be a firewall (either on his computer or on his home network router). Or, some IP's even block traffic at times.

Things to try:

A different computer using the same local network.
Change browser security settings.
Check router settings and allow this site through any firewalls.
I got a database error once here, and I got a 404 error a couple times. All these errors were "browser generated". In other words, I didn't connect to the board and get an error. I never GOT to the board.

The best way to test if it's his computer firewall, or virus/malware program is to just disable both of them (or one at a time), call ONLY THIS BOARD, see if it works, and then turn them back on again. Doing the test one at a time would identify which one, if either, was the problem, and tweak the offending program.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »
He went to reboot and hasnt got back... :(    I sure hope his puter didnt crash.

OP.. your first paragraph of not even getting to this site was one of his explanations.

Tonight he's shut off everything to see if that works.

And its a database error that pops up.

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
Yes, definitely don't want to go anywhere else with the firewalls(s) turned off. Routers have a DMZ setting that you need to be careful with as well. It's much better to just allow the site you want through in the settings rather than turn the protection off, but just a few minutes to test one site is probably ok.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
Ok. he's back.  I just sent him the new replies.  The fist one from OP didnt work he said.

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Ask him what his ip address is. He can find it by googling "what is my ip". Send it to me in a PM and I'll check for site errors generated by that specific ip and ip range.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
Ok.. he' tried another comptuer at home there and cannot get in either.  He's thinking router now.   ( I have no idea what that is)

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Okay....can he bypass the router and tie directly into his modem with an ethernet cable?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:01:36 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
Ok.. he' tried another comptuer at home there and cannot get in either.  He's thinking router now.   ( I have no idea what that is)

WW.

That's good! We are narrowing it down.

So it's either going to be his router or his internet provider.

Most routers can be accessed through a web browser by typing in the network address in the browser's address bar.

You're looking for a LAN address. Each router manufacturer uses a different one. Linksys uses 192.168.1.1, for example. If he has a linksys router and types that into his browser, he can access the settings (if he has the password he used to set up the router when it was installed). Sometimes the username and password for the router is the SSID and password for the wireless network so that simplifies things.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »
His reply:    not without work. On wireless network and router is a ways off, I will have to try that with the computer in the basement by the router
 but why would this site be different?

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »

WW.

That's good! We are narrowing it down.

So it's either going to be his router or his internet provider.

Most routers can be accessed through a web browser by typing in the network address in the browser's address bar.

You're looking for a LAN address. Each router manufacturer uses a different one. Linksys uses 192.168.1.1, for example. If he has a linksys router and types that into his browser, he can access the settings (if he has the password he used to set up the router when it was installed). Sometimes the username and password for the router is the SSID and password for the wireless network so that simplifies things.
That gets a little treacherous. It's pretty easy to trash all the settings. There ARE things he can try configuring that might make a difference, like changing channels, etc.
If his LinkSys is like mine, he can reset to factory defaults by holding down the on/off button for about 15 seconds, but then he's faced with setting up his whole network again!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
His reply:    not without work. On wireless network and router is a ways off, I will have to try that with the computer in the basement by the router
 but why would this site be different?

WW.
If he can bypass the router and go with a straight ethernet cable to his modem, that will let him know if he has to reconfigure the router without messing with the settings first.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »
From Foggy: 

we are in router now, it's barebones, no restrictions of any kind

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »

If he can bypass the router and go with a straight ethernet cable to his modem, that will let him know if he has to reconfigure the router without messing with the settings first.

Yep, good thing to try.

Also...

I found both his ip's and neither of them have any site errors except for his home address and that was back on the 11th where he tried to log in before validating his email address. But that was the only error in our log for either of his ip's.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
From Foggy: 

we are in router now, it's barebones, no restrictions of any kind

WW.

Ok, I'd try to bypass the router with an ethernet cable as OP suggests as a last ditch effort before contacting his internet provider.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
From Foggy and Son

son is trying his system first, then he will try bypassing the router

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
Also, I can delete his account and set it up manually through the admin console in case some error during registration keeps repeating itself. I can set him up with a temporary password to use to log on and he can then log in and reset it to whatever he wants. I can even set his post count to what it is currently. He will need to download and save any PM's he wants to keep because those would be lost.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »
lol, he should just download a different browser and see if it is in fact IE8 causing the headache...

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »
PW   He wants to wait with that.

From Foggy:  wait till I try bypassing the router

From WW:   He can get in here no problem with his work computer.

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
lol, he should just download a different browser and see if it is in fact IE8 causing the headache...
Early on he said he'd tried both FireFox and IE.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »
ah, pardon my ignorance for not reading the whole thread :(

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:56 PM »
what anti virus program is he running? they have their own firewall settings, and it could be that this site somehow triggered a red flag and his anti virus is blocking it.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
ah, pardon my ignorance for not reading the whole thread :(
I think that was what WW relayed in a completely different thread when he was first trying to connect here.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
foggy says:
 its the router
ww says:
 so now what has to be done?
foggy says:
 not sure, I see no problem with settings in the router but it must conflict with the site

Any more ideas?

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »
If it's the router, he will need to go into the router settings and specifically allow this site through.