Author Topic: Neckerchief Slides  (Read 7564 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Neckerchief Slides
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:45:14 AM »
 I couldnt sleep, so I got back up to finish painting these NeckerChief slides I've carved up.     I'm all done with the front painting.   Now to figure out how to put the back piece on.   They still need to be sealed, its easier to take a pix before the shine goes on.     I'm sorry they are not super clear, my camera is ooold.... 

I do have a question:    What size is the scarf that boyscouts wear?   I would like to know if the back piece I put on , the scarf will fit through it.   Cotton right?

These are the first 22 of about 60 that was in a book I bought from WhittlerBob.    ( some of you in Boyscouts might know of him.)

WW.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:46:50 AM by WoodsWoman »
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
Re: Neckerchief Slides
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:23 AM »
Those look great! The neckerchiefs my son had for Cub Scouts were cotton, but those for Boy Scouts were some type of polyester, and stiff. Not sure if those for each troop are all polyester, as each troop in an area picks a different design.  The loop on the back of the slide is approximately 1 inch wide and about 1/3 of an inch deep.  Hope that helps!
"I'm outdoors, you know." George Thorogood.
Member #94!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »
Oustanding! WoodsWoman! :D

I remember them well from as a kid in the Cubs /Webelos & Boy scouts. Thank you for sharing & bringing back some memories.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Those look really great, WW!
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »
I made matching kerchief slides for my Cub Scout Den out of disks cut from an elk antler. I used a 1/2" drill bit for the round holes.
The area of Dadio's slide was 1/3 of a square inch. The 1/2" hole I drilled was .39 square inches. Anything between 1/3 square inches, and 1/2 square inches should work.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
Thank you guys !      I did some searching again.. trying to find what others have used for backing.   I came across some having 1/2 pvc pipe glued to the backs.   

The scarf,  its rolled in a certain way for the ends to be inserted into the back piece right? 

How come BC's decided that the scarf is no longer a required part of the uniform?   Whasn't the usefulness of the scarf the whole point of having it part of the boys uniform?    Is a bolo just as useful?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
Thank you guys !      I did some searching again.. trying to find what others have used for backing.   I came across some having 1/2 pvc pipe glued to the backs.   

The scarf,  its rolled in a certain way for the ends to be inserted into the back piece right? 
How come BC's decided that the scarf is no longer a required part of the uniform?   Whasn't the usefulness of the scarf the whole point of having it part of the boys uniform?    Is a bolo just as useful?

WW.

I must be totally out of touch these days! I don't recognize "BC's", though. What's that?
 No scarf??? I can't see much use for a bolo tie, other than to strangle someone, or lace up your boots.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:36:38 PM by Old Philosopher »
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Oops. mispell there.  BS's  :)      I asked my sister if my nephew could use a neckerchief slide.  She said they dont wear the  scarves anymore.. they have a bolo tie instead.  I could still change the backings on these to accept a bolo tie.    I was just surprised about the change.

After talking to someone about it.. I guess the choice is optional of scarf or bolo.

WW.   

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
Those are awesome WW, amazing detail and look super!!  I believe you're correct that they have made them optional.  It's too bad as they are useful, but as time goes on...it's not about what is useful or the history, but what is politically correct!

I remember one project we made our own with plaster of paris. 

Great work on your slides!!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
Back in the OLD days, Boy's Life Magazine used to feature a Slide-of-the-month project for carvers to try their hand at.     I 'earned' (LOL) my Woodcarving merit badge on my road to Eagle, but I think my counselor was being a bit more than gratuitous, in signing my merit badge card :-\

Those are some fine carvings you have done there.....I'm envious!  Do you sell any of your work?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
Thank you Wolfy.     I dont know why but I've always been facinated by the carved slides.    I should have been born a boy...   I've discussed this with my mother...  and she agrees. 

Somewhere on the net you can find the old patterns.  I have a file folder full of them.   And then theres a site full of newer ones that folks are sharing pictures of.    I want to make one of each.. ha 

Bob the author of the book I bought was in my Carving magazine last month.   He's done 1,000's of them.  Pretty impressive.

I havent sold any so far.  I still need to get the backs figured out.     I"m half debating on if I sell them I want the money to go to a local food shelf.     

WW.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
Nice work...they look great!

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »
WOW  those are  awesome I really dig  the little tomahawk one especially
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
The paint job is awesome on all of the slides.  You did a great job!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor