Author Topic: (Yet another) Newbie Gear List  (Read 2600 times)

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
(Yet another) Newbie Gear List
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
"I'm new, what should I get?"

This seems like a popular topic, so I thought I'd give it a shot. :)
So, a list of gear which would be nice to have when bushcrafting... Not that you actually need all this stuff, but it does make life a little easier (especially if you're spending the night outside).

First off I'd like to start with knowledge. Lame, I know, but you're gonna need it! Weather it's from books, forums or youtube, you need some basic idea of what you're getting yourself into, or the rest of this post will make no sense whatsoever.  8)

Good places to find cheap gear is dollarstores, thriftstores, secondhand shops, charity stores, garage sales fleamarkets and craigslist.

Something to carry the stuff in.
Backpack/Bag:

This can basically be anything from a high-end expedition 12000000 Liter Backpack, to any old school bag gotten from a secondhand shop.
side pockets, waist/hip belt and exterior fastening points are always handy to have.

What to keep inside... Now, this depends on climate and terrain, but here's what I'd take.

First Aide Kit (or FAK):
Most important here is to learn how to use it! It's probably the first thing you need to know when starting out (you're gonna need it when learning how to use and sharpen knives!)
Some items I've found useful:
Bandaids (lots)
Bandages W/ attached pads (Can't remember what they're called)
Medical tape
tweezers
Needle (for removing splinters)
Vaseline
painkillers
After bite spray (for insect bites, ect.)
Bug spray
Tic remover
Triangular scarf
Safety pins
Alcohol prep pads
Tea-tree oil
Disposable gloves
spaceblanket

Shelter:
Tent or tarp?
To be honest I'd go for a small tent if I were starting out, but that's just me.
(You can find cheap two man tents.)
Or, if you want to try a tarp, you can get a cheap pvc tarp (blue ones) or use some trashbags duckttaped together. Main thing is to get something waterproof above your head at night. :)

Sleeping pad:
An ordinary closed cell mat shouldn't bee too expensive. There are also cheap air filled sleeping pads around, but I don't know how good they are.

Sleeping bag:
If it's warm at night where you live, get a cheap one. If not, shop around a little for a quality bag. Trust me when I say hat a cheap/bad sleeping bag is no fun if the night is chilly! :(

Knife:
To start off, just get an inexpensive one. (You can save up for the custom beauties later)
Some inexpensive, but good brands are Mora, Swiss army knives, Opinel, Condor, Buck, Hultafors, Old hickory and Green River. The last two may need some modification.
Just make sure it's sharp! You're far more likely to injure yourself badly with a dull knife!

Sharpener:
Again you've got tons of choices, from ordinary stones, to ceramic rods, diamond coated stones, sandpaper, leather strop, ect. Heck, you could even use a brick or the underside of a coffee cup!
I usually use the diamond file on my Leatherman, a smooth sharpening stone and a leather strop.
The strop sees most use, as that it all it usually takes to restore the edge on my knives after regular use.

Axe/hatchet/saw:
These are good to have for processing firewood and gathering shelter materials.
A small boyscout type axe, a tomahawk or whatever you may find at discount stores or secondhand/thrift stores. Again, make sure it's sharp!
As for saws, I'd recommend a folding pruning saw, or something like the Gerber/Fiskars sliding saw. After some study and practice you can bring a bow saw blade, and make yourself a takedown bucksaw. :)

Cordage:
Million uses.
Don't quite know what more to say here, but 550 Paracord, builders twine and jute twine are all good. I favor paracord because it's easy to work with, and fun to make stuff with. :D

Fire Kit:
A Bic lighter, a ferrocerium rod, and some petroleum jelly cotton balls would make a good inexpensive starter kit. Or just bring a box of matches.

Water bottle:
Military canteens are inexpensive and good. Or you can just use an empty pop-bottle.

Something to boil water in:
This is important for water purification, hot meals and Coffee! :)
Cheapest is to get a tin can and some steel wire, and make a billycan. Works like a charm, and costs next to nothing!
After that, there's tons of different camping and military messkits. Some cheap, some not. Check around, and see what you can find.

Something to eat out of:
A bowl (cheap stainless doggie bowl, or cheap plastic microwave bowl)
A cup (I recommend cheap plastic fold-a-cup or an old Tupperware cup)
Utensils (Sea-to-sumit has some great cheap plastic utensils, or raid the kitchen drawer!)

Sitting pad:
A cheap closed cell sitting pad, or a plastic bag works too. Main thing is to keep your butt dry.

FLashlight:
A cheap LED flashlight or headlamp is very good to have if you're on an overnight trip. Some of those cheapos give a very decent light.

Compass:
Here, like the sleeping bag, you won't want to go with the cheapest. Check around, and you can find an inexpensive one from a good brand (Silva, Suunto, Brunton, ect.)

Other stuff:
-A buff or a bandana (or both) are versatile and weigh next to nothing. That they're cheap are also a bonus! :)

-Work gloves. Cheap leather work gloves are a much overlooked piece of gear. Use when working (duh), or when handling warm pots/kettles.

-Poncho or rain jacket. A cheap disposable plastic one will do.

Well, that's what I got off the top of my head. I've probably forgotten some important stuff, but I'm sure someone will come

along very soon to mention whatever it is. :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:55:12 AM by jontok »
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
Re: (Yet another) Newbie Gear List
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »
Great post and list!

I'd just add a few items to your list:

Fire Kit:
A Bic lighter, a ferrocerium rod, and some petroleum jelly cotton balls would make a good inexpensive starter kit

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »
Knew I'd forgotten something obvious!  ::)

Could also just take a pack of matches.

Edit: Added it to the list. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:55:31 AM by jontok »
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
One of these days I'm going to do an article on setting up a summer overnight kit and then show it in use...

Good list, Jon. :)
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:37:44 AM »
Looks pretty comprehensive. I think my own first aid kit is woefully inadequate after seeing this list. :D

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »
Thanks guys. :)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
That's a very comprehensive list. Question about the FAK though. What's the tea-tree oil for?
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
Looks good. For a brand spankin' noob I would recommend taking along a friend who knows more than you.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 06:31:56 AM »
Great post. Here are a few I did some time ago on the subject:

A Beginner?s Guide to Bushcraft and Camping-Part 1-Introduction: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/beginners-guide-to-bushcraft-and.html

A Beginner?s Guide to Bushcraft and Camping-Part 2-The Day Hike: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/day-hike-general-considerations-easiest.html

A Beginner?s Guide to Bushcraft and Camping-Part 3-Clothing: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/day-hike-clothing-now-that-we-have.html

A Beginner?s Guide to Bushcraft and Camping-Part 4-Day Hike Gear: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/day-hike-gear-now-that-we-have-clothing.html

A Beginner?s Guide to Bushcraft and Camping-Part 5-Overnight Camping: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/overnight-camping-general.html

A Beginner?s Guide to Bushcraft and Camping-Part 6-Overnight Gear: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/beginners-guide-to-bushcraft-and_23.html

A Beginner?s Guide to Bushcraft and Camping-Part 7: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/beginners-guide-to-bushcraft-and_4781.html

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
That's a very comprehensive list. Question about the FAK though. What's the tea-tree oil for?
Tea-tree oil is a disinfectant + it has many other uses (none of which springs to mind at the moment).

Wood Trekker: Nice! :)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »
Tea-tree oil is a disinfectant + it has many other uses (none of which springs to mind at the moment).

Wood Trekker: Nice! :)
Ha! All I could think of was emergency treatment of dandruff.
Thanks again for that list.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
One addition to your first aide kit that I find useful is a Chem lite, Batteries go dead and bulbs blow out at the worst times. It also doubles as signaling device by attaching a piece of line to it and swing it it in a circle.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy