Author Topic: Does it spark ?  (Read 5958 times)

Offline bendobebaby

• Mill File
Does it spark ?
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:08:32 PM »
I did a little "sparking" test with three different steels.
Several guys told me ...I don't want this or that steel because I can't use my fire steel with it.
I used some knife blanks.
You can get lot bigger sparks......depends on your technique., but definitely can start your fire with any of these steels.
I also leave the spine "square"...(I don't round it)...for fire starting purposes. They "bite" into the fire steel nice

O1 steel

440C stainless steel

CPM 3V steel

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Does it spark ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »
Very interesting!
I know that my Benchmade Persidio with 154CM doesn't spark very well, nor does my laminated Mora ???
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Re: Does it spark ?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
Looks like they all sparked quite well. Thanks for your steel test.

"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
I don't use a ferro rod too much, but I was under the assumption that it was just a mechanical thing & they'd spark with anything, as long as you had a good sharp square edge to strip some material off of the rod. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Bryan Breeden

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
I will be able to tell you as soon as my eyes recover the blinding flashes  lol.

Bryan
My vendor Subforum  Breeden knives.
Breeden Knives

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
I think the complaints most have with knife steels not "sparking" is in reference to their use with a flint, and not a ferro rod.

For example, you can use stainless steel to strike a ferro rod effectively, but it is difficult or impossible to strike sparks from a stainless blade using a flint.

Some people have successfully struck sparks from carbon steel axes and knives with flint, but the optimum hardness for a tough and durable blade is softer than the optimum hardness for a steel striker. So a properly heat treated blade will never spark as well as a properly heat treated striker made from similar steel.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »

Nice demos & pics! Good show of the different sparks thrown from different metals!
 :thumbsup:

I don't use a ferro rod too much, but I was under the assumption that it was just a mechanical thing & they'd spark with anything, as long as you had a good sharp square edge to strip some material off of the rod. :shrug:

Wolfy, you are correct.
 ;)

Not to start an argument, but a sharp edge on something harder than the ferrocium /misch metal rod, is all that is needed to strike a light from a ferrocium/misch metal rod. A sharp edged rock, a piece of glass from a beer, or soda pop bottle for example, is enough.

:)

Good topic!
:D

Edit: surgery.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:40:26 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wgiles

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »
It would be interesting to try a piece of glass. I have some tungsten carbide strikers and they work quite well. Hardness and sharpness are probably the keys with ferro rods.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
Yeah, there seems to be some confusion about the difference between "firesteels" and "flint and steels."

Since some people call the old-fashioned strikealight kits "firesteels" and others call ferrocerium rods "firesteels" as well, new forum readers (or old ones, dunno?) often assume that ferro rods don't work with some steels, which of course is a complete falsehood. Haha.

I've even used old hacksaw blades, tin can lids, broken glass, and various flinty/cherty rocks to strike my ferro rod.

All you need is a sharp edge harder than the rod:)

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline bendobebaby

• Mill File
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »
When  wgiles   mentioned the piece of glass, I went out to my garage and tried it. I was getting nice sparks.....probably 1/3 of the amount you see on the second picture.