Author Topic: British Army Bergen  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
British Army Bergen
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
I went over to the surplus shop earlier this week to get some wool blanklets, but ended up buying myself a nice new, well new to me, surplus Long Back Bergen in OG.

I've been looking at one of these packs for a little while for transporting timber back from my woods, as I'm always fearful of ripping my Sabre packs that i currently use and a surplus Bergen is going to be one heck of a lot cheaper to replace than a Sabre 75.

The extra capacity of this pack will also allow far easier transportation of gear when the boys and i go for a weekend away as they only have relatively small packs and during the cooler months of the year, their packs are a little small for their winter gear, and lets face it, just because this is a 120 litre pack, doesn't mean it has to carry 120 litres of gear.

Included with the Bergen were the side pouches and the yoke as pictured, sure being surplus there are few bits that are missing, a couple of clips here and there, a bit of frayed stitching and the squaddies name is written in permanent marker in a couple of places, but they are only aesthetics, all of the main clips, zips & buckles are in place and in good working order, oh yes the price i paid for the whole lot,  ?35.00 all in (approx $50.00)

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
Re: British Army Bergen
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Looks to me like you have Purchased a Fine piece of Kit!!! :D I was Just in an Army/Navy Surplus Store yesterday pricing Packs, and they can get mighty expensive. The Maxpedition I was looking at ran about $140.00. I think you did well, and didn't break the bank either! :)
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
yep, and this thing is bomb proof, it's built like the proverbial brick out house

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
I think I might look for one of those Next time I wander in to the Store. Going into an Army /Navy Store is kind of like walking into a well stocked Gun Shop, it's hard to NOT walk out with a Bunch of stuff!!! ::)

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:01:56 PM »
They are superb packs, if you get stuck and are willing to pay the cost of goods and postage to the US, im happy to go get one for you.

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
Thanks Kep,and I'll keep that in mind if I can't find one here! :)

Offline Zeus

• Administrator
  • Whetstone +
  • Forging Knives on Olympus
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
Looks like it's in great shape. Should hold up well. Looks like a lot of cubic inches too.

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »
Looks like it's in great shape. Should hold up well. Looks like a lot of cubic inches too.

oh yes it's a huge pack, according to Google it's

120 litres = 7322.84929 cubic inch

bear in mind that is with the pockets on the side as well, the side pockets are approx 610 Cubic inches each and can be turned into a day pack by attaching them to the yoke, even with the side pockets detached the pack is 6100 Cubic inches in size - tis a beast

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
I would love to get one of those one day. That is a nice pack. I like the bombproof packs.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend