Author Topic: Camillus Ti-ni coated Skinner  (Read 746 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
Camillus Ti-ni coated Skinner
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
A friend sent me this knife so I could make a sheath for it, thought I would just give some impression in case any one was thinking about buying one. This is an Aus-8 steel knife with a Titanium Nitride coating that Camillus claims makes the knife harder and stay sharper longer. I don't know. What I can say is this knife feels delicate, it's very thin and hollow ground which gives the impression that it might chip out easily. The shape of the knife is probably supposed to be a skinner and I can see it performing well at that task and maybe sharpening sticks, prepping food. Overall it feels cheap and the grip is definitely an afterthought, roughly shaped laminated bamboo that looks like it was worked with a file, rife with flat spots and general asymmetry. I hope this thing was cheap. Not to sound overly negative, would be a fine loaner, but I'm quite sure I would break this knife pretty quickly and I'm not on of those knife smashing limit finders. I'm sure you can make pretty accurate assumptions about quality of the nylon sheath. It is very sharp though and ground nicely compared to many other cheap production knives you'll come across. Weighs next to nothing.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Camillus Ti-ni coated Skinner
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
I'm not a fan of coated blades at all.  When I see coated blades I immediately think the maker didn't want to take the time to finish the knife properly and just wanted a cheap way to cover up imperfections in the finish and/or grind.  And especially on this knife which is AUS-8, a stainless steel.  I don't see how the coating on this knife is going to help it stay sharper longer since the coating obviously doesn't extend to the edge and even if it did originally, it won't stay there when sharpened.  AUS-8 is a good steel, but not a great steel.  Of course, a lot of that, regardless of the steel, depends on the heat treat.  In general, I'm also not a fan of hollow ground knives, but if the knife is a dedicated skinner, which I would agree with you this one seems to be, then they're fine for that kind of task.  Not likely to chip or roll skinning a deer or what ever.  If they guy or gal using it thinks they can chop or force it through a pelvic bone, then the knife is pretty much toast.  It would be up to the user to know that this knife ain't made for batonning or any heavy duty type of outdoor activity, but that again would be up to the manufacturer to make that clear which I doubt they do.  Just an opinion, but I believe most people buy knives because they look cool to them.  Other than that, they are pretty much clueless about steels, grinds, heat treat, edge geometry, or anything else that a knowledgeable knife buyer would look for to make a purchase.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.