Author Topic: Cold Steel Trailhawk.  (Read 27405 times)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Re: Cold Steel Trailhawk.
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
Christian, very cool....I guess the last thing I would expect in a pack is an anvil and tongs.....LOL

Nice work, how did the the hammer head hold up.....?
Didn't se a rep, or like or atta boy key.....but you deserve on for that post.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
Christian, very cool....I guess the last thing I would expect in a pack is an anvil and tongs.....LOL

Nice work, how did the the hammer head hold up.....?
Didn't se a rep, or like or atta boy key.....but you deserve on for that post.

Thanks John, the face of the hammer held up just fine but since it was so light it took longer than usual...

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
"Work it!"...

It ain't fur lookin' at...
:thumbsup:

:D

Have fun & see how she shakes out for ya.
;)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 02:16:49 AM »
Wow, very cool! :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »
Just wanted to share this picture. This log was covered with 'worm tracks' where some bugs had gotten under the bark and chewed little tunnels all over the place. I didn't like the look, so I used my trail hawk to skin the bark off and chop off all of the surface wood with the tracks in it. It took a while until I learned how to "chop - twist" the hawk into the wood. Basically, you chop in at a sharper angle than you might think, then twist the head to pop off the wood you just separated.

Anyhow, it worked well enough. This particular log, I decided not to use for the project I'd envisioned (a small camp stool). But you can see the cuts made with the hawk in the wood. I did have to re-seat the head rather frequently. I did not do as good a job fitting it to the haft as I should have. As they come from the factory, they are fastened with a set screw so the head coming loose isn't a problem unless you remove the screw and fail to properly fit the head.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Well here it is my finial critique of the Cold Steel Trail Hawk in short I will not be purchasing one.  For the record I want to make it clear that there is nothing faulty in the manufacturing of the Hawk that influenced my decision on the contrary it is well made.   For my needs I prefer a heaver blade and a tomahawk just wont do it for me (it's the same reason I don't carry a machete).  I did enjoy the trial run it's been a while since I've taken a tomahawk out with me.

Again, I want to thank MnSportsman for temporarily parting with his personal Trail Hawk to give me an opportunity get a hands on look at it, that's above and beyond my friend!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »
WI_Woodsman,
You are certainly very "welcome"!
   It was a pleasure to have the chance to let ya take one for a "test run", & see if the tool would suit ya. Much like riding a motorcycle, or driving a vehicle.... Actually having the chance to use something, rather than just looking at it, or just hearing what others say, often makes a significant difference in the end. It is ending up to be "your" decision, as I said, regardless of the "votes".
 :)

I sincerely hope that you eventually find something that suits you better & meets the needs you are searching for.
Good Luck!
:)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Little Yellow Jacket

• Whetstone +
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:34 AM »
  Hi guys. First post. I like the forum as I have an amateurs interest in blades. That means I like'em but don't know a lot about'em. Either I am not yet allowed to post pictures or haven't figured it out.
  I have the Trail Hawk. I haven't used it much but it's done well so far. I sanded the finish of the head and handle on a 5 radius belt sander at work. Then I polished the axe head and stained it with mustard. The inside of the head has to be honed out to keep from scratching the handle when removing the head for carving chores. I used a rotary file on a die grinder for that. I used a torch and burned the handle here and there. Used a grinding disc on a die grinder to cut X's in the grip section of the handle and drilled a 3/8" lanyard hole in it. Then soaked it good with motor oil. Lastly I sharpened it. I'm happy with it's edge retention. Keep in mind that I'm comparing this to very inexpensive axes I've used in the past. I can't say I've ever used a good axe or would even be able to tell the difference.
  Let me add that I usually purchase less expensive knives, $30-45 range, that have potential and good reviews but might only need some more finish work. Like the Schrade schf3n. A little work on the radius grinder, a kydex sheath and regrind the edge. Two ranger bands to hold a mag pouch with a Leatherman Wave and a ferro rod. A Tek-loc on the sheath and now I have well over $110 invested. Is it worth it? I have to tell myself it is.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:12:41 AM by Little Yellow Jacket »
Rick

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
  Hi guys. First post. I like the forum as I have an amateurs interest in blades. That means I like'em but don't know a lot about'em. Either I am not yet allowed to post pictures or haven't figured it out.
  I have the Trail Hawk. I haven't used it much but it's done well so far. I sanded the finish of the head and handle on a 5 radius belt sander at work. Then I polished the axe head and stained it with mustard. The inside of the head has to be honed out to keep from scratching the handle when removing the head for carving chores. I used a rotary file on a die grinder for that. I used a torch and burned the handle here and there. Used a grinding disc on a die grinder to cut X's in the grip section of the handle and drilled a 3/8" lanyard hole in it. Then soaked it good with motor oil. Lastly I sharpened it. I'm happy with it's edge retention. Keep in mind that I'm comparing this to very inexpensive axes I've used in the past. I can't say I've ever used a good axe or would even be able to tell the difference.
  Let me add that I usually purchase less expensive knives, $30-45 range, that have potential and good reviews but might only need some more finish work. Like the Schrade schf3n. A little work on the radius grinder, a kydex sheath and regrind the edge. Two ranger bands to hold a mag pouch with a Leatherman Wave and a ferro rod. A Tek-loc on the sheath and now I have well over $110 invested. Is it worth it? I have to tell myself it is.  ;)

Man...  You have to get some pictures up, your trail hawk sounds like a work of art!  I'm with ya on the inexpensive knives (and gear in my case).

Hey Little Yellow Jacket, you should post a little about yourself in the Introduction section of the forum.  I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects.   ;)

• Whetstone +
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »

Man...  You have to get some pictures up, your trail hawk sounds like a work of art!  I'm with ya on the inexpensive knives (and gear in my case).

Hey Little Yellow Jacket, you should post a little about yourself in the Introduction section of the forum.  I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects.   ;)

I'm not having a lot of luck posting photos. But hey, it's my first day. I'll post those pics soon as I can. I'm kind of proud of it. I watched some youtube videos on the trail hawk and was impressed with the versatility of the blade on and off of the handle. I agree it's a very light axe but most of my woods time is backpacking or kayaking in. Anyway, it works for me. Besides, I carry a folding saw too.
Rick

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
I dont have the trail hawk but i wanted one really badly at one point.   I got a modified riflemans hawk from sds on another outdoorsy forum.  He was awesome for giving it to me and i wouldnt get rid of it, but tbh, id rather use my lil fiskars hatchet.  The lil hatchet way out chops the riflemans hawk.  But the hawk lives by he front door...figure itd be a handy quick grab self defense tool, heaven forbid i ever needed it for that. 
OINK!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
Welcome Little Yellow Jacket!  I'd like to see some pics of your work as well.

As for posting pics here, using a host like photobucket is the best route.  You can set up a free account and be sharing pics here in about 10 minutes.  Once you have an account, simply upload your pics to a folder, hover over the pic, go to options, and use the bottom "copy img code" link.  Then come back to the thread you want to post in and hit the "CTRL" key and "V".  It will paste the code and when you submit the post, the pic will appear.

I'm an electronic moron and I can do it- let us know if you need any other help.  There are also a couple threads here showing how to do it if needed.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
Welcome Little Yellow Jacket!  I'd like to see some pics of your work as well.

As for posting pics here, using a host like photobucket is the best route.  You can set up a free account and be sharing pics here in about 10 minutes.  Once you have an account, simply upload your pics to a folder, hover over the pic, go to options, and use the bottom "copy img code" link.  Then come back to the thread you want to post in and hit the "CTRL" key and "V".  It will paste the code and when you submit the post, the pic will appear.

I'm an electronic moron and I can do it- let us know if you need any other help.  There are also a couple threads here showing how to do it if needed.

Thanks Dano. I have watched a video here on posting pics. Soon as I have time I'll set it up. I'm not very talented in the knife making department. I have access to a 5 radius belt grinder that could  be set up for knife work..........if it were at my house instead of work. I enjoy buying inexpensive knives and modifying them on the grinder. Some end up in the trash and some end up half decent. The Trail Hawk came out nice IMHO. I will post pics soon.
Rick

• Whetstone +
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
Here's my hawk. Like most all my knives that I "modify", the top edge will spark a ferro rod. I actually put a mirror like finish on the axe head and then used mustard to get the slight patina you see here.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:11:44 PM by Little Yellow Jacket »
Rick

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
I'm glad to see you figured out how to post pictures!  Sweet mod on the Trailhawk LYJ!   ;) 

• Whetstone +
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
I'm glad to see you figured out how to post pictures!  Sweet mod on the Trailhawk LYJ!   ;)

Thanks my friend.

rick
Rick

Offline MikieG

• Mill File
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
I feel as though the hawk has plenty of merit. I have the SOG fusion. It has done plenty of work. The machete out performs it in cutting and chopping. But,,,, in areas that require an axe or hammer, the only substitutes ARE an axe or a hammer. With this tool you get both for space and weight savings! 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »
I like the mirror polished poll. :thumbsup: Looks cool!

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
Looks great LYJ........i likes my trail hawk i do! :thumbsup:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
Great thread!
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
someone once said that "if you compared the Icemans axe (otzi's axe) to the size and shape of the trailhawk (less the hammer poll)...they were sort of similar in shape and size...kinda cool!...woods
otzi axe images
https://www.google.com/search?q=trail+hawk&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aeoPUrDOCeLb2AXfiYGwAw&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1311&bih=659#bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=9dd5d6439da07da9&q=otzi+axe&sa=1&tbm=isch

trail hawk images
https://www.google.com/search?q=trail+hawk&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aeoPUrDOCeLb2AXfiYGwAw&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1311&bih=659
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!