Author Topic: Cold Steel Trailhawk.  (Read 27418 times)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
Cold Steel Trailhawk.
« on: April 27, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »
I started a thread called, Ever Regret a Hasty Purchase? and one particular item seem to be mentioned a few times.

My question to you is, "what is it that you love or hate about this tool" (please keep it civil)?  Perhaps it will help people like myself decide if I would like to purchase one. 

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: Cold Steel Trailhawk.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
I hated it when my broke :( I have a trail boss head I've put on a short haft...maybe it won't explode.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
I'm not infatuated with mine, but it is occasionally useful and was cheap enough. 
It isn't the first thing I grab when I head out.  That much is true.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Cold Steel Trailhawk.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
I don't hate mine, but it is as Wolfy said... "Kinda a toy".
 I've thrown mine a little bit and sure that's fun, but I'm afraid I'll break it. After putting all the work I did into mine I would be pissed, so I don't throw it anymore.
It's to small to really do any serious chopping, but it does chop 'OK' for it's size I guess.
I stained the handle, rust blued the head, polished the poll and bit, paracord warped it, and drilled a lanyard hole to put a leather lanyard in it.
Heck, all in all its not so bad. Heck, I got it through SMKW around Christmas a few years ago @ 20% off and free shipping, so it really didn't cost that much.
Here are a few pics...

I mainly just got it for a winter project anyway.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:34:28 PM by Bearhunter »
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
If I were to do it again, I would pass on the Trailhawk....it just doesn't "cut it" for me.  I know there are others who swear by them, but in the areas I make it to (mostly hardwoods)-  I tend to swear AT it.  I consider it good enough to split kindling, but not much more.

Had I got it for throwing maybe I'd like it more, but I got it thinking it would be a lightweight camp type hatchet after reading some reviews and watching a few videos of it.  Perhaps it's my technique, but it really falls short in my opinion.

Something I'm considering is this, perhaps down the road  http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/topic,5079.msg91881.html#msg91881  It's from one of our members (Shane) and I believe it would serve better.

I have a Kukri House kuk that out performs the Trailhawk  every time. 

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
I have one for trading stock...(in progress)....but tend to go for the hand forged hawks.

Back in my early Buckskinner days, and guy by the name of "Neil" made hawk heads out of truck springs....always wanted one...but only made about 6 per year, and didn't take money, just trade....Never got one.

They were so hard they would cut a normal hawk in a "handle match"....got a few dings in mine for them.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Bryan Breeden

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
I have one too and it was cheap to buy.  I have thrown it some and it works for that ok. 
I mainly use mine in my shop to hammer in the solid or tubing pins that I use in to the knife handles
when making knives.  It works great for that   :)
I have short oak handle that I made for mine, instead of the longer handle that came with it.

Would I buy one again  ??  sure for $22 it is worth it to me.

Bryan
My vendor Subforum  Breeden knives.
Breeden Knives

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »
I bought one. I expected a little heavier, better quality, "tomahawk" then what I received. I knew that I wasn't buying a custom product, but I really expected better.

I have carried and thrown hawks for years. The CS was a poor excuse for a tomahawk. It arrived as dull as my social life! A warm stick of butter was too much for it to slice! It was as blunt as I am in a social situation after too many ales. HORRIBLE.

It was also way lighter than I expected. It felt.......childish . I say that owning several regular size hawks and smaller "squaw" hawks. It was almost silly.

I knew that I had made a mistake and quickly sold it off. Not my cup of tea. I know that some love them, some say they love them, and some might actually use one. In my opinion, a waste of money. YMMV!

I prefer heavier hawks. Much more capable, and comforting to carry!

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:34:59 AM »
Many of you have echoed my thoughts on the trail hawk.  Lots of people on the internet like to talk them up and hype them up a bit. Sure the price won't hurt the wallet but in essence I think of them as a toy really. Mine was picked up from a member of the forum in a combo that had other items in it as well. I thought I might like it, and...well I don't hate it but I imagine mine will go along on some other trade or giveaway or something. Thus I am still in search of a good tomahawk, but I have my eye on a couple contenders.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
Thus I am still in search of a good tomahawk, but I have my eye on a couple contenders.

Look into HB Forge.

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »
I hated mine. One of the main issues I have with it is the hafting process that is used. I just don't find it as secure or effective as that on hatchets. People often show how they can take off the head in order to use it as a knife, or whatever, but the down side of that is that it is almost constantly loose. No matter how much sanding and fitting I did, and no matter how securely I pounded the head up the handle, after a few chops it would start to loosen and then slide down the handle when I lifted it up for a swing.

All that aside however, it just didn't perform as well as a hatchet. A small hatchet with a 1lb head (something like the GB Wildlife Hatchet) can run circles around the Trail Hawk when it comes to chopping, splitting, and carving. I just never saw an advantage to the Trail Hawk that was significant enough to outweigh those deficiencies.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
I gave mine away very quickly after purchase.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
I echo what woodtrekker says. I've never been comfortable with hawks, not to mention the cold steels are made in china. Folks talk about the ability to carve a haft with the head but I been using tools for too many years now to consider that an advantage over a securely mounted head that I swing. Hawks are really cool looking and certainly very useful but I can't invision one ever being a "go to" for me.

Creek

edit ---> very fun to throw  :chopwood:
Axes Rock!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
I just recieved word that my trade Trailhawk for a Lee Loader, 20 ga is going thru....supposed to be on its way, so I need to send out the trailhawk as soon as i get home.

We will see how he likes it.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »
I just got one from Wolfy.  I am modding it a bit and having some fun doing that in the garage.  I don't have high hopes for it in terms of use.  It will probably be hung over the fireplace when I am done with it.  I will post a picture of it and let everyone know what I think of it.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
No trail hawk here but I have the Norse hawk. Like other I never found it real useful. I might mod it one day.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »
Didn't read the rest of the posts. Didn't need to read them.

I like mine.

Does what I bought it for.

Either buy one, or not,

It is gonna end up being "your" decision, no matter the "votes".

Mine cost me about 25 bucks. Worth what I paid for it, with about 5 bucks plus or minus for shipping.

I don't throw mine. It is for light chopping & splitting on day hikes or an overnite.

Good luck on your decision.

PS. I'll loan ya mine, I'll send it to ya & I'll pay shipping one way, you pay the return. If ya want to try one out before buying. You only get 2 weeks of checking it out though... Then... I want it back.... I'd miss it...
 ;)

Seriously, you wanna try it out.. PM...
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »
Very kind gesture MnS :)

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 07:08:50 AM »
i own two...use em, love em...though the second one i got came too soft, i had to reharden and retemper the blade...still for twenty bucks each i ain't complainin...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
MnS, that is a really cool offer! kudos

OP, I like my trail hawk, great for light work. i like to carve with mine, too.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 07:57:14 AM »
Got one just another one for the coll?ction

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
i own two...use em, love em...though the second one i got came too soft, i had to reharden and retemper the blade...still for twenty bucks each i ain't complainin...woods
sorry to the op, I should have added that the lightweight and multi function of many Hawks...this one included...make it a very useful tool to carry.
high speed, low drag and it makes a useful personal weapon against both four and two legged critters...yer probly not going to knock up a log cabin with it...but its a handy tool just the same...woods

this feller right here does a pretty good review of several cold steel hawks
 worth a look i reckon...woods
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:46:49 AM by woodsrunner »

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »

I like mine.

Either buy one, or not,

Mine cost me about 25 bucks. Worth what I paid for it, with about 5 bucks plus or minus for shipping.

I don't throw mine. It is for light chopping & splitting on day hikes or an overnite.

PS. I'll loan ya mine, I'll send it to ya & I'll pay shipping one way, you pay the return. If ya want to try one out before buying. You only get 2 weeks of checking it out though... Then... I want it back.... I'd miss it...
 ;)

Sure, why not.  Thanks MN!  :D

Offline dragogt

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
One of these is on my want list..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202546

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
I much prefer the Pipe Hawk, It's like a huge framing hammer with a blade. Hefty, long, more beard and doesn't have a bunch of square edges to gouge you. It outdoes the trail hawk by a million miles. I had fun with the trail hawk but like others have said it felt like a toy, the pipe hawk feels like a tool.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
I much prefer the Pipe Hawk, It's like a huge framing hammer with a blade. Hefty, long, more beard and doesn't have a bunch of square edges to gouge you. It outdoes the trail hawk by a million miles. I had fun with the trail hawk but like others have said it felt like a toy, the pipe hawk feels like a tool.
absolutely know what ya mean...however 26oz for the pipe hawk vs. 17oz for the trail hawk...kinda defeats the whole idea of carrying a tomahawk imho...a hatchet will split wood better...still i get yer point and its a good one...however in my hands the trailhawk shines ;)...woods

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
I have a riflemans hawk.  Its ok.  I like having something different and it can chop ok.  Doesnt split stuff very well, but they wrre never meant to be a primary wood tool.  I keep it by the bed.  If i need it in the middle of the night i honestly would be ok with that item over other choices.  Thats more what they wrre designed for.
Iv considered trading it off...but id miss it.  I might get a smaller one and see how i like it.  For wood tools, i have a pile of heads to recondition and haft.
And yes, my terrible spelling is because im on phone!
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Rowjr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »
Its light and serves as more than one tool

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »
I have a trailhawk, and it's "pimped" to look like an old tool (I can show pics if wanted), and it makes for a serviceable tool. However, if given a choice for "working" purposes only (cool factor not considered), I'll take my Fiskars x7 any day.

I find the hawk is a decent wood processing tool, but the CS ones need a lot of work to get good, and are more suited for "fun." The hammer poll is a little small to be useful, and is really kinda sharp on the edges. The bit profile of a hawk is very thin, and doesn't split as well as a more wedge shaped profile. The trail hawk also has a narrow cutting edge so big chips are kind of impossible for cross cutting.

All in all, it's a cool tool and I enjoy using mine. But, when push comes to shove, I'll take a hatchet like the venerable x7 or even a much larger axe when I foresee lots of wood processing.

Good luck in your search. For $20, it's hard to forego such a fun toy.
What's that smell?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »

I like mine.

Either buy one, or not,

;)

WI_woodsman,

Finally found a box to send it in. Might even be the original one it was sent to me in. I dunno...
 :-\

Anyway, The hawk was sent this morning(Saturday, May 18th) & PostMaster said you should receive it on Monday.

Try it out & let us know what ya think.

I'll be missing it, because I like taking it out when I am foraging for wild edibles. I'll take my shorty homemade camphawk for a week or two instead.

Enjoy!
:)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »

I've used hawks for a lot of years while historical period trekking and F&I era reenacting,  most of that time I carried either one of three hawks,  one is an original hand forged in the late 1700's,  the others are a H&B forge hawk and a hand forged hawk by Deer Creek Forge.
 Finding a good serviceable hawk is a chore,  there are a hundred so-so hawks on the market for every one good one,  sure they all throw pretty good after some reprofiling,  but few of them have the balance or handle shape to make a good chopper or helpfull cutting tool,  most decent hatchets will go a lot further as a trail or camp tool than will a good hawk.
 I've tried the Trail Hawk,  in my opinion it's not worth it's weight at any cost,  I don't mean to be insulting but the truth is that as a real tool it's a piece of junk,  the head is too long,  the cutting edge too short,  and the pole too narrow,  it's design is poorly suited to a long handle with a round eye socket,  and it won't hold or keep a good edge.

Of course if you've never had or used a well made well designed hawk you wouldn't know just how useless the Trail Hawk is,  I agree with Wolfy and Mr. Tettenger,  and I second their suggestion in that if you are going to invest in a hawk over a hatchet or axe, then look into H&B Forge,  their hawks are hand forged,  well tempered,  well balanced,  and moderately priced at about $50.00.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
EXACTLY!  :cheers:   That would, in a nutshell, be my take on them too, Moe!   If they filled a niche for me, I would have kept mine, but I never even tried it out.  I could visualize how it would handle in comparison to my three other hand-forged 'hawks and I just didn't see it working for me.  It may be just the ticket for some people in how they use the tool, but I didn't foresee it in my situation.  It did look like it might be a good 'thrower.....a real possibility for a 'set' of matching-weight heads, an area where hand-forged 'hawks can present problems. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »

I like mine.

Either buy one, or not,

;)

WI_woodsman,

Finally found a box to send it in. Might even be the original one it was sent to me in. I dunno...
 :-\

Anyway, The hawk was sent this morning(Saturday, May 18th) & PostMaster said you should receive it on Monday.

Try it out & let us know what ya think.

I'll be missing it, because I like taking it out when I am foraging for wild edibles. I'll take my shorty homemade camphawk for a week or two instead.

Enjoy!

Thank MnS!  Lookin' forward to using the legendary tool!  This will most definitely help me make a decision.   ;)   

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
You are very welcome WI_Woodsman,

The tomahawk I have, is sent to you to try.

Have fun with it.

I really don't care about what anyone else says about them...
Like I told ya before.

It is gonna end up being "your" decision, no matter the "votes"

It has worked for me for what I asked it to do.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:53:27 AM by MnSportsman »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »
I am thinking...You got better ones, fellers?

Maybe you could send the man one of your hawks & let him try them out, to compare to the one he was sent already.

If you aren't using them. Let him try them out... Help him decide...

"Using", will let the man know what is good for him or not.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:51:59 AM by MnSportsman »

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 07:00:43 AM »
I am thinking...You got better ones, fellers?

Maybe you could send the man one of your hawks & let him try them out, to compare to the one he was sent already.

If you aren't using them. Let him try them out... Help him decide...

"Using", will let the man know what is good for him or not.

Thanks MnS, that wont be necessary I have have a few implements to compare it to, Viking throwing axe, Viking bearded axe and a Tamahawk.

Besides I don't know if I can afford all the shipping!   ;)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »
whered you get that viking bearded axe?

Offline AnthonyP

• Whetstone +
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »
I have a trail hawk and it is a cheap novelty item to me. Talk about cheap made in china. Junk! A Shrew Hawk is one I am eying for myself next.

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 09:33:38 AM »
I dunno, for $20, i think mine's alright. And it's made in Taiwan...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
What's that smell?

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »

Digging the bearded axe my friend!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 06:49:54 AM »
whered you get that viking bearded axe?

I got the Viking  Bearded Axe from Ragnar's Ragweed Forge a long time ago I'm not sure if he still carries them...  I replaced the straight haft with a more curved one, it gives the tool a better grip! 

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 06:51:53 AM »

Digging the bearded axe my friend!

Creek

Thanks Creek!  It's one of my favorite axes.   ;)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 06:54:27 AM »
JB very generous of you to send your hawk to WiWoodsman to try out.  But not surprising at all.

WiWo I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion and comparison. 

And yes, that viking bearded axe is a real looker.  It probably deserves it's own thread.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
JB very generous of you to send your hawk to WiWoodsman to try out.  But not surprising at all.

WiWo I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion and comparison. 

And yes, that viking bearded axe is a real looker.  It probably deserves it's own thread.

Thanks WB, I haven't used it in a while, perhaps I'll have to scrounge up a project to use it on so I can showcase it on a thread.   ;)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
Guess what arrived in the mail today? 

If you guessed: MnSportsman's Cold Steel Trail Hawk, give yourself 10 points!  I noticed straight away it was a piece of CRAP!   :sarcasm:

I'm just razzing you MnS!   :lol:  Being a collector and practitioner of medieval arms and combat my first impression was that it's definitely a formidable weapon.  The Trail Hawk is reminiscent of a 14th century war hammer in respect to weight and size.  I snapped this picture in my neighbors back yard the wood is from his 40 foot Yellow Pine we took down Sunday I figured it'd be a nice backdrop to the Trail Hawk.  Since I already surmised it's capability to take life if need be, I have a few (bushcrafting) projects in mind for this frontiersman tool since that's what I would most likely be employing it for.  So stay tuned to this thread for an update of MnS Trail Hawk as my demolition test begins.   :rofl:   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:48:41 PM by WI_Woodsman »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
My first view of the "loaner-'hawk" and that freshly sliced pine had me thinking that you had cleaved that log with a couple of well-placed blows! ;).    I was all ready to order another one, have MnS. sharpen it by his super-secret process, and give it another chance!   :hail: :chopwood: :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
My first view of the "loaner-'hawk" and that freshly sliced pine had me thinking that you had cleaved that log with a couple of well-placed blows! ;).    I was all ready to order another one, have MnS. sharpen it by his super-secret process, and give it another chance!   :hail: :chopwood: :rofl:

You should see the behemoth pile of wood behind it...   :shocked:  I didn't want to take a picture of it you wouldn't be able to see the axe...   :)

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
It's been a while since I've done any blacksmithing so I thought when MnSportsman borrowed me his Cold Steel Trail Hawk it gave me an opportunity to get out in the woods and forge some steel!  I've seen many gear reviews on the Trail Hawk most if not all of them focus on the blade portion of the Hawk, I wanted to really put the hammer to use and see if I could produce something functional...  The following is my attempt at forging a Viking Penannular Cloak Pin with a Cold Steel Trail Hawk in the Bush.

Yes, I pack in a small anvil and tongs (probably the most weight I'll ever have in my rucksack) I'll think twice before I ever do that again...  I precut some round stock in my shop before I left.  I heated the bar so it wouldn't stress fracture when I'm hammering it, this process is called annealing and needs to be repeated every time the steel cools.

The first step in this process is to flatten the ends of the stock so it's easier to "scroll" them...

I don't have a billows so I just blow on the coals to heat up the steel, I figured I throw a kettle of coffee on while I'm waiting on the steel...

The ends are now thin enough to scroll so I start by hammering 3/4 of an inch over the edge of the anvil about 90 degrees...

Next I flip the stock over and hammer directly on the end scrolling the end into itself.

Once I have both ends scrolled tight I hammer the either end over the "horn" of the anvil (this process took a few heating of the material).

Here's a close up of the process.

It's slowly coming together.

I gotta have a coffee break...   :coffee:

Next I affix the pin It's just a nail that I squared off...

I heated the finished Penannular in the coals so that I can apply the bees wax.

To finnish it off and to prevent rust I put a thin coat of bees wax on the surface which gives it a nice black sheen.

So here's Viking Penannular Cloak Pin and the Trail hawk that made it.

It isn't the prettiest Penannular Cloak Pin I've ever made but I would be honored to gift it to MnSportsman for letting me try out his Trail Hawk.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:17:38 AM by WI_Woodsman »

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
That's really cool work!
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
The Trail Hawk is pretty handy for lifting your kettle on and off the fire...