Author Topic: Sitting Stool  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Sitting Stool
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
I started a new stool today, this one per the other ones i have made recently is from from Ash with Hazel stretchers.

The stool stands 16" high & 12" wide and will eventually feature a woven sisal seat, this has been designed from the outset as a sitting stool, whereas the ones i have made previously were foot stools, if i dont sell it at a show I'm attending soon, then it may well end up as my whittling stool out in the garden and also to take to shows in the hope of picking up a commission or two.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
Re: Sitting Stool
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
You are a crafting machine, Kep! :D
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Nice.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline bradleybuckman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
You're quite the talented guy. I always look forward to your submissions to see what new item you have crafted.
My ambition is handicapped by laziness.

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:15:21 PM »
cheers guys, im just trying to figure out what weave pattern im going to use for the seat, fancy something a bit "flash"

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
Ah yes  nice  stuff Mate as always. I seriously need to  get a brace and auger set need to  make myself a carving  stool to  instead of my log LOL
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline FoggyUT

• Mill File
    • My attempt at blogging
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
I like this. I want to see the finished product. Please don't forget to post another pic or 2.
Sepiens qui vigilat (He is wise who watches)

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:58:38 AM »
I like this. I want to see the finished product. Please don't forget to post another pic or 2.

no worries, im just about to order 350ft of sisal rope to make the seat :)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:22:23 AM »

Looks great so far!
:D

I am curious Kep... are you using split-end & wedge, a natural glue like pine resin, or some "store-bought" adhesive, or a combination, to keep the braces into the legs.? or some other method? I was just wondering, not critiquing. :) I was just thinking that without something to sturdily hold the rails/braces into the stool when the sisal seat gets installed, & it gets "tight"( like when someone sits on it "heavily", or if the sisal gets wet then shrinks tighter when it dries, like rawhide would do.), it may pull the lower rails loose from the legs.

As I said. not a critique. Just wanted to know before I go try to do the same thing here. :)

P.S.- I used the terms "rails" & "braces", but  just re-read your op & see that you called them "stretchers". I am not sure of the proper terms in furniture making, So I just used what I did, but  mean the same thing as "stretchers".
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:56:00 AM »
The joints (tenons) are incredibly simple, the stretchers are made from seasoned / dry wood whilst the legs are made from fresh cut green wood, knowing the green wood will shrink as it dries, means that a very strong joint will form, when the green wood shrinks it forms itself around the dry wood tenon, the joint is so strong in fact that you cant pull it apart or even bash it apart with a mallet when it's properly dry, if a joint is too loose to begin with, then i will blind wedge the tenon, or just use a different stretcher, but I will still rely on the green wood shrinking to obtain a tight & secure joint, to help speed up the drying process, the frame will be kept in a warm, not hot, room in the house with some weights on it to stop it warping (sometimes happens) as the wood dries and shrinks

I wont put a woven seat on this stool for a minimum of about week to ten days now, if i install a woven seat today, in a week it will be loose as the wood dries and shrinks and id have to do it again, so im waiting for nature to take her course to shrink the female part of the joint around the male tenon at the moment.

Hope this helps?.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:17:35 AM »
Sounds great!
:)
 I did not know you used the dry vs. green, & that it actually would stand the test of time. Thanks for that tip! :)
I mentioned "split end & wedge" , &  see your term is, "blind wedge". I was not aware of that term before used in that way. I am well aware of "blind" fastening with nails & screws. I guess I just never thought to use it in the same way with the "end" joints. I guess I will just have to loosely use the term "Blind Joinery" now...LOL

Thanks for the tips. I really may have to make this a project to do myself. Keep the updates coming please!
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)